New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Protest/rally photography

Coltrayne

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Protest/rally photography

Hey guys... Not sure if this is the right thread, but I am interested in photographing some of the rallies that are happening this Tuesday in Phoenix. I was curious if anyone has any experience with this and what focal lengths you would recommend. Thank you for you're time.

Aug 20, 2017 at 04:24 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Protest/rally photography

Go wide and get in close.

Aug 20, 2017 at 06:05 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Protest/rally photography

go long tele and stay away and up high - I've used parking garages (be sure the riot police don't make a mistake when the spot you - hold your lens up sideways, smile & wave - kept me from getting drawn on if not shot)

wide & close gets you more action but if beaten badly or hosed down with pepper spray you will get fewer shots (same for the silly string some spray - can't be good for the protective filter on your lens - you do want a protective filter...)

Aug 20, 2017 at 07:05 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Protest/rally photography

Yeah and those street shots always look like they were taken from a distance and give the viewer that feel. Get up close and personal. Use common sense and you will probably be OK.

Aug 21, 2017 at 12:25 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Protest/rally photography

The old press standards of 16-35, 24-70 or 35mm.

Eat and drink. Work hard. Keep your eyes open. Wear running shoes. Consider eye and breathing protection. Newswear Chest vest?

Aug 21, 2017 at 08:36 AM
cliphe

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Protest/rally photography

Sad commentary on the world we live in.

Aug 21, 2017 at 09:42 AM
gene2632
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Protest/rally photography

Covering demonstrations has not really changed much since the 60's when I was starting out. My second year out of school I had to return to my alma mater to cover a nasty anti-war demonstration. I put myself between the students and the guardsmen, made sure to show my credentials to the guardsmen, they said ok, we all walked and I walked backwards facing the students, making pictures...until the the guardsmen tossed tear gas at me. Not fun but you have to be in close. While you are doing it you have to think, be aware and be nimble.

Aug 25, 2017 at 12:23 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password