Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Gitzo G410 tripod shattered collar sleeve/bushing problem need help ASAP.

Duncan Staples
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gitzo G410 tripod shattered collar sleeve/bushing problem need help ASAP.

Fellow professionals:

This is a bit embarrassing but I'm a pro that has been shooting over 25 years and I ran into a problem this evening and need a fairly rapid temporary fix until I can get a part shipped in which I can't find anywhere.

D001.JS3. Bushing Set For Locking Rings.....

https://www.manfrottospares.com/d001-js3-bushing-set-for-locking-rings/

I have spare tripods but I would prefer to use two identical tripods that I shoot with all the time.

I have the Gitzo heavy aluminum G410 tripod and I was switching columns this evening and the inner lubrication lock ring made of a hard wax type product shattered this evening for the first time in 20 + years?

This prevents me from tightening the collar as it is designed to act as a lubrication sleeve but also a gap sleeve for the column as you will see in the photographs attached.

None of the local camera stores in St. Louis carry replacement sleeves for this particular tripod and I really need it ASAP, so if anyone has a MacGyver fix to get me through a one day multiple camera shoot, even if it means locking down the column in one place and adjusting the legs, that is perfectly fine with me.

I have tried cardboard and it is too thick I have tried paper it is too thin.

Without placing anything between the column and the collar sleeve there is a gap preventing the tightening and lockdown of the column.

Does anyone have a solution or recommendation that will fill the gap between the tripod collar and the column at least on a temporary basis?

Anyone that uses Gitzo tripods will most likely have experienced the sleeve bushing coming out with a column switch in the past, but I have not experienced a sleeve/bushing failure before and I do not have a replacement standing by.

Yes as an experienced photographer I should always have a backup but in 25 plus years I've never had one fail before in such an epic way.

I don't really have any machining equipment or a lathe handy, but I am sure someone has an ingenious suggestion that I have not thought of.

The sleeve serves two purposes - to fill the gap between the collar and trip column (to lock column) but also as a natural lubricated surface instead of bare metal on metal that allows for the column to easily slide up and down upon loosening the wing-nut shaped column tension mechanism.

The part is actually a bushing set that is not easy to find. Here is the URL with the bushing set that appears to be nearly impossible to locate. B&H, Adorama, Manfrotto, Gitzo all out of stock.

Does anyone know what material the bushings are manufactured from?

B&H has two different center column support bushings in stock for Gitzo but I can't determine which will work with the G410 as Gitzo does not list either part number on their website:

Bushing Number 1:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/771780-REG/gitzo_d320_19_center_column_bushing.html

Bushing Number 2:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/771648-REG/gitzo_d220_19_center_column_bushing.html

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you all.
Duncan Staples

Shattered Collar Sleeve with Column

Side G410 Collar View

Top Inside Collar View for Sleeve

inside Bottom Collar with Sleeve Notch

Shattered Close-Up of Collar Sleeve with Column End Cap

Aug 20, 2017 at 12:18 AM
Chris Court
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gitzo G410 tripod shattered collar sleeve/bushing problem need help ASAP.

If you have all the fragments… how about supergluing that sucker back together? Should hold until you are able to source a suitable replacement.

C

Aug 20, 2017 at 07:39 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gitzo G410 tripod shattered collar sleeve/bushing problem need help ASAP.

Don't even think about trying to get parts from Manfrotto Distribution, they're absolutely hopeless even for parts for their current models. What you need is Gitzo Spares based in the UK:

D001.JS3: Currently in stock. Look for other parts you may need on that site. If you order today you'll probably get the part you need this week. They'll expedite for you if necessary.

Aug 20, 2017 at 08:37 AM
Duncan Staples
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gitzo G410 tripod shattered collar sleeve/bushing problem need help ASAP.

Thanks for the tip I could not find it on the B&H website so I will contact manfrotto on Monday and see if I can follow the gentleman's advice above and superglue the puzzle back together

I think I'm going to purchase a few of them and then see if I can actually find a way to manufacture them myself as the leg pieces are bound to fail at some point in the future and it doesn't seem like they have a fantastic support system for their legacy indestructible tripods.

I ran over this tripod back in the early 90s with a Toyota 4Runner by accident with a 4 x 5 camera attached to it and it didn't even scratch the tripod.

Thanks for your feedback.

peter_n wrote:
Don't even think about trying to get parts from Manfrotto Distribution, they're absolutely hopeless even for parts for their current models. What you need is Gitzo Spares based in the UK:

D001.JS3: Currently in stock. Look for other parts you may need on that site. If you order today you'll probably get the part you need this week. They'll expedite for you if necessary.

Aug 20, 2017 at 10:31 AM
Duncan Staples
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Gitzo G410 tripod shattered collar sleeve/bushing problem need help ASAP.

C

Not a bad idea it is very brittle and in quite a few pieces but I will give it a shot it's definitely worth a try until I can obtain a replacement with the help of the gentleman below.

I appreciate your feedback.

These replacement parts are like ghosts :-)

Chris Court wrote:
If you have all the fragments… how about supergluing that sucker back together? Should hold until you are able to source a suitable replacement.

C

Aug 20, 2017 at 10:32 AM
Duncan Staples
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Gitzo G410 tripod shattered collar sleeve/bushing problem need help ASAP.

Thank you Peter I did not come across that site when I was doing half a trillion Google searches last night :-)

These things are like ghosts and they're not very complex unfortunately I think they used to make them out of crepe paper as this thing basically just came apart and every time I touch it another peace breaks off :-)

I was actually thinking about stopping by a veterinarian today and seeing if I could purchase a dog cone and manufacture something from that. Same general material I believe. I just need to pick up a set of micrometers for the thickness.

I did click on your link and saw that it went to a different site other than manfrotto so thank you for the link.

Might be time to visit Harbor Freight for some cheap micrometers. One more item in my bag to be confiscated by TSA

Thank you,
Duncan Staples

peter_n wrote:

Aug 20, 2017 at 10:38 AM
Steve W

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Gitzo G410 tripod shattered collar sleeve/bushing problem need help ASAP.

Haven't been on this site in a while but saw your query this evening and on the chance another answer isn't too late...
Most good hardware stores carry brass shim stock in various sizes. The thinner versions can be usually be cut with scissors and "built up" by cutting several of the proper size and then stacking them. In any case, I'd suggest buying one or two thicknesses, both thinner and thicker, so that you can obtain the proper wall thickness with some experimentation.

Another material to try is cutting appropriate sizes from the side of a plastic milk carton and stacking as required. While not a long term fix, the material is easily obtainable and has worked for me in a pinch many times, usually lasting far longer than I ever thought it would.
Hope this helps.
Steve W

Aug 24, 2017 at 08:03 PM
Duncan Staples
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Gitzo G410 tripod shattered collar sleeve/bushing problem need help ASAP.

Thanks Steve I sent you a PM.

Duncan

Steve W wrote:
Haven't been on this site in a while but saw your query this evening and on the chance another answer isn't too late...
Most good hardware stores carry brass shim stock in various sizes. The thinner versions can be usually be cut with scissors and "built up" by cutting several of the proper size and then stacking them. In any case, I'd suggest buying one or two thicknesses, both thinner and thicker, so that you can obtain the proper wall thickness with some experimentation.

Another material to try is cutting appropriate sizes from the side of a plastic milk carton
...Show more

Aug 24, 2017 at 08:07 PM
travelair
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Gitzo G410 tripod shattered collar sleeve/bushing problem need help ASAP.

FWIW, that part looks to be made of paper fiber reinforced phenolic tube. McMaster.com might have the raw material to get you back in business. McMaster is a very reputable supplier to the US manufacturing and industrial sector, and will also happily supply individuals as well. If you order before 5PM, you will likely have it in your hands before noon the next day. No need to ask for overnight or expedited shipping.

Garolite tubing at McMaster

I would probably pick the Garolite XX, if you can find one close to the size required. Note, this material has a low impact resistance, but is easily machinable.

Perhaps a more modern material for such an application would be UHMWPE.

Your best line might be to search out a local hobbyist/machinist for some help. I suspect in St. Louis, like most larger cities, there are some folks that setup a "Maker Space."

It actually looks to be a very simple part to replicate. If you are super lucky, the ID and OD match up to something on that McMaster page I linked to.

If all else fails, ping me and I'm sure we can work something out.

Aug 24, 2017 at 08:40 PM
uscmatt99
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Gitzo G410 tripod shattered collar sleeve/bushing problem need help ASAP.

peter_n wrote:

Thanks for the tip! I was having a heck of a time finding replacement feet and a short column for my Gitzo travel tripod. That site is absolutely painless.

Aug 25, 2017 at 04:08 PM
Macrogirl

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Gitzo G410 tripod shattered collar sleeve/bushing problem need help ASAP.

Maybe some duct tape? Just wrapping it around the shaft might do the trick. I would have a temporary one 3d-printed in ABS - look on 3d hubs for your nearest printer. You could easily measure the old part and make the file in something like sketchup - a hollow tube is one of the stock shapes. Or the hub owner could probably do it for you. It should not cost much.

Aug 28, 2017 at 08:15 AM
Roland W
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Gitzo G410 tripod shattered collar sleeve/bushing problem need help ASAP.

Gitzospares is a great resource, and usually provide fast shipping from the UK. Just be sure you get the right part by using their parts diagrams, and perhaps even corresponding with them. And you may find that some items are no longer available. I am a bit confused by you listing the parts for the legs, but then showing the issue you have with the column. If you really need the column bushing, be sure to find it on their parts diagram. You may need to figure out the model number for the column to get the right parts diagram. And, if it is a column issue and you can not get the right bushing, you could consider getting a used column to put in your tripod, or even just using a plate and giving up on the column.

Aug 29, 2017 at 12:21 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Gitzo G410 tripod shattered collar sleeve/bushing problem need help ASAP.

Roland W wrote:
Just be sure you get the right part by using their parts diagrams, and perhaps even corresponding with them.

If you really need the column bushing, be sure to find it on their parts diagram. You may need to figure out the model number for the column to get the right parts diagram.

Their site is very detailed. This is good advice.

Aug 29, 2017 at 07:35 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.