Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Didn't your mother tell you not to play with your food?

AGeoJO
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Didn't your mother tell you not to play with your food?

Congratulations to AGeoJO for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 10 votes - View Previous Winners

I have been going to this burrowing owl site every week in the last 4 weeks this summer. Photographing them is addicting but I really enjoy to see they behavior. From showing affection by rubbing their heads against each other, grooming each other to an aggressive behavior resulting in a dispute between two owls. I also witnessed how they catch June bugs in mid air and how they ate their catch. Up to this point they did it while on the ground, sometime in kneeling/lowering down position.

But this morning for the very first time I witnessed an owl played with a June bug. And all this happened while the owl was perching on a branch! I set my camera at 10fps and I ended up getting over 220 or so images the entire time lasting almost 30 secs . The owl didn't kill the beetle until it hopped on the ground near the burrow and finally devoured the catch. The burrow was semi hidden behind some rocks. What a show the owl gave us! As far as I am concerned, the owl can do it more often although I felt sorry for the bug. Oh, well. Here are 8 images from that sequence.

BTW, there were 5-6 local FMers at this site this morning.

C&C is always welcome and thank you very much for stopping by.

Joshua

AGeoJO 2017

ILCE-9    EF400mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens    784mm    f/5.6    1/2000s    320 ISO    0.0 EV  

AGeoJO 2017

Pulling at the wings...

ILCE-9    EF400mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens    784mm    f/5.6    1/2000s    320 ISO    0.0 EV  

AGeoJO 2017

ILCE-9    EF400mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens    784mm    f/5.6    1/2000s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

AGeoJO 2017

AGeoJO 2017

ILCE-9    EF400mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens    784mm    f/5.6    1/2000s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

AGeoJO 2017

AGeoJO 2017

AGeoJO 2017

Hm, tastes so good...

Aug 20, 2017 at 04:48 AM
Photozack81
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Didn't your mother tell you not to play with your food?

Nice shots of the owl, seriously. I'm more concerned with the potential world dominating superbug. What is that I think we should all be glad the owl was able to take it out. It may have come for you next!

Aug 20, 2017 at 05:08 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Didn't your mother tell you not to play with your food?

Photozack81 wrote:
Nice shots of the owl, seriously. I'm more concerned with the potential world dominating superbug. What is that I think we should all be glad the owl was able to take it out. It may have come for you next!

Thank you, Zack! That is June bug, I believe. It is not that big, about 1-inch or so long. The burrowing owls are small, BTW. So, the bug looks relative big but it is not. That's the favorite food of those owls.

Aug 20, 2017 at 05:20 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Didn't your mother tell you not to play with your food?

Super set! You got your 1st vote! Where the hell was I?

Aug 20, 2017 at 05:30 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Didn't your mother tell you not to play with your food?

bobbytan wrote:
Super set! You got your 1st vote! Where the hell was I?

Thank you, Bobby! What? You didn't catch it? Were you napping or did you already pack your gear since you were too anxious to have breakfast already?

Aug 20, 2017 at 05:50 AM
Greg Lavaty
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Didn't your mother tell you not to play with your food?

Beautiful set, I can't think of anything that would make it better.

Aug 20, 2017 at 08:12 AM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Didn't your mother tell you not to play with your food?

lovely set Joshua

Aug 20, 2017 at 09:06 AM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Didn't your mother tell you not to play with your food?

Bobby was probably either changing the battery on his E-M1.2, or lost in the maze of Olympus menus trying to set up Pro Capture mode

Great set, Joshua! You guys are really lucky to have this opportunity! Thanks for sharing with the rest of us.

AGeoJO wrote:
Thank you, Bobby! What? You didn't catch it? Were you napping or did you already pack your gear since you were too anxious to have breakfast already?

Aug 20, 2017 at 11:15 AM
ox0312
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Didn't your mother tell you not to play with your food?

Great sequence captured here Joshua.... TFS

Was also wondering why the exif is showing 784mm ?

- Faizan

Aug 20, 2017 at 12:08 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Didn't your mother tell you not to play with your food?

Greg Lavaty wrote:
Beautiful set, I can't think of anything that would make it better.

kmunroe wrote:
lovely set Joshua

Greg and Kenny,
Thank you very much for stopping by and your kind comment!

Aug 20, 2017 at 12:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BeeBalm
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Didn't your mother tell you not to play with your food?

Good morning Joshua

I love them all. He is too darn cute on his perch!

Have a great Sunday!

BB

Aug 20, 2017 at 12:56 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Didn't your mother tell you not to play with your food?

Excellent, top tier series Joshua

Aug 20, 2017 at 02:44 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Didn't your mother tell you not to play with your food?

What a marvelous series!!! Fantastic

Birdie

Aug 20, 2017 at 02:48 PM
dallvr
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Didn't your mother tell you not to play with your food?

Terrific set! Any comments on using a9 vs. one of your many other bodies?

Aug 20, 2017 at 05:11 PM
Bobg657
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Didn't your mother tell you not to play with your food?

Joshua, great series, you really captured the personality! I need to go back again!
Bob

Aug 20, 2017 at 05:43 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Didn't your mother tell you not to play with your food?

mitesh wrote:
Bobby was probably either changing the battery on his E-M1.2, or lost in the maze of Olympus menus trying to set up Pro Capture mode

Great set, Joshua! You guys are really lucky to have this opportunity! Thanks for sharing with the rest of us.

Thank you very much, Mitesh! Burrowing owls are quite common on this part of the country. You just have to know to find them. Believe it or not, the actual location is fairly close to an industrial area and very near the runway of a local airport. Every 20 minutes or so, there is a plane roaring overhead. The owls get used to the noise though. I just hope that the area, which is a sizable open field won't be developed into another industrial complex. That would be disastrous.... .

For sure Bobby packed his stuff first, by quite some time actually. I was still focusing on the owls and I heard him talk in the back about going to breakfast and he was also talking to a few other FMers. Oh, well, there will be other opportunities.

ox0312 wrote:
Great sequence captured here Joshua.... TFS

Was also wondering why the exif is showing 784mm ?

- Faizan

Thank you very much, Faizan. I got lucky.....

The lens is my Canon 400mm f/2.8 Mark II lens plus a Canon 1.4X TC. To make the setup compatible with my Sony e-mount camera, I used a Metabones V adapter, which has a larger throat relative to the previous model in the rear. I mounted a Sony FE 1.4X extender between the Metabones and my Sony A9 for the setup in that case, resulting in 784mm according to the exif, and not quite 800mm.

BeeBalm wrote:
Good morning Joshua

I love them all. He is too darn cute on his perch!

Have a great Sunday!

BB

Hi BB, thank you very much for stopping by and for your kind words. You, too, have a great Sunday.

Aug 20, 2017 at 06:36 PM
louie champan
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Didn't your mother tell you not to play with your food?

Great shots, and what a find. Sure is fun to watch them once they get an insect and how they go about eating it.

Aug 20, 2017 at 10:46 PM
psharvic
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Didn't your mother tell you not to play with your food?

Fine set, Joshua.

Aug 20, 2017 at 11:23 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Didn't your mother tell you not to play with your food?

Well done with great action Joshua ~ Ron

Aug 21, 2017 at 02:20 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Didn't your mother tell you not to play with your food?

Ted ellis wrote:
Excellent, top tier series Joshua

Thank you very much, Ted! I am glad you like the images...

Joshua

birdied wrote:
What a marvelous series!!! Fantastic

Birdie

Birdie, I really appreciate and I am flattered by your the kind words.

Joshua

dallvr wrote:
Terrific set! Any comments on using a9 vs. one of your many other bodies?

Thank you very much! I am using Sony gear exclusively now as far as the camera concerned. For now, I am still relying on a few Canon EF lenses for my long reach. While I love the IQ that Canon lenses provide but the AF via an adapter on my Sony e-mount body is behind that of the native FE lenses for tracking and BIF purposes. As long as the target is semi stationary or fly at a predictable path, then the adapted Canon EF lens still works OK. I took my setup to Costa Rica last year and it didn't disappoint me. Actually, I was very pleased with the result.

But burrowing owls are small and they fly erratically. I could get a great keeper rate alright AF-wise using a native FE lens but it is limited only to 400mm and it is a zoom. Regardless how good that lens is AF-wise and IQ-wise but a faster prime lens that can render a smooth background would be my choice like in this situation. Hope this helps. Please feel free to ask any additional question or post yours on the forum for other members to chime in.

Aug 21, 2017 at 04:10 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password