New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

D850 or Nikon mirrorless
Alexluu627
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D850 or Nikon mirrorless

I remember an article a couple weeks back about the Nikon president saying that they're making a mirrorless camera that would be rival it's competitors.

I got my wallet open for the d850 when it comes out, but I'm just too curious about their mirrorless camera.

Real world Nikon problems here :/

Aug 20, 2017 at 02:44 AM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D850 or Nikon mirrorless

What competitors is that, Sony, Fuji or Olympus? That is the unanswered question.

Aug 20, 2017 at 03:49 AM
bbourizk
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D850 or Nikon mirrorless

D850 will be bought as soon as I find one.
When a mirrorless comes out I will offload my Fuji xt2 and grab nikons offering. Presuming what they bring out is decent and if it takes F mount lenses them all the better.

Aug 20, 2017 at 06:36 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D850 or Nikon mirrorless

I would never buy a first gen of a brand new product. The Nikon mirroless may well be sensational, but the D850 is an evolution of already very good cameras and other than QC issues will almost certainly be excellent. The mirrorless is just talk at this stage.

Aug 20, 2017 at 07:59 AM
tdlavigne
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D850 or Nikon mirrorless

Pixel Perfect wrote:
I would never buy a first gen of a brand new product. The Nikon mirroless may well be sensational, but the D850 is an evolution of already very good cameras and other than QC issues will almost certainly be excellent. The mirrorless is just talk at this stage.

Agreed. I had first gen Pany m4/3, Sony E APS-C, and Sony FF mirrorless. All left something to be desired. With each update they're getting much more well rounded, but it took some time to get there.

Nikon's direction will determine if the outcome follows the trend set by the others: Is it merely a rehashing of the 1 series? Or is it completely new? If starting from scratch I'd wait until at least v2 if not v3 before sinking money into a new system. At least with the dslr's they've got a formula that works very well and you know what you're gonna get.

Also, to the OP: other than that random "We're working on mirrorless" quote in that interview, there's really been no rumblings or rumors. A mirrorless camera could be a month away (unlikely) or a year away, or it'll end up being announced alongside the DL's...

If you want to upgrade I'd get the D850 when it's released and wait and see if/when the mirrorless option is available down the line.

Aug 20, 2017 at 10:18 AM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D850 or Nikon mirrorless

Pixel Perfect wrote:

This plus their mirrorless camera is probably years away anyway.

Aug 20, 2017 at 11:32 AM
cvrle59
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D850 or Nikon mirrorless

I wouldn't worry much about being first generation. Wasn't D3 first generation of FF, so we all know the rest. There are tons of them still shutting around the glob, after ten years.
The only thing is native lenses, but native adapter will solve that kind of issue.

Edited on Aug 20, 2017 at 02:10 PM · View previous versions

Aug 20, 2017 at 01:45 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D850 or Nikon mirrorless

You're comparing buying a "for sure" D850 to vaporware Nikon mirrorless? There is no comparison. The fact is the D850 will be one of the best bodies Nikon has made yet. Question is, do you have the budget to buy the lenses, or do you already have them? Because in the end, the body price is minimal.

And... looking at Nikon history. Even if they produced some plasticy mirrorless system, they could discontinue it after a year. Not a perfect example, but just like the Coolpix A. It just stops, rather than a better sensor and incremental improvements.

Aug 20, 2017 at 02:10 PM
carlitos
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D850 or Nikon mirrorless

Just idle speculation, of course, but there could be a variety of adapters for a Nikon mirrorless body. Sony e-mount for example. I'm sure Sony and Zeiss wouldn't mind licensing the patent, as long as it meant extra income.

http://thenewcamera.com/exclusive-nikon-patent-af-adapter-to-use-dslr-lenses-in-mirrorless/

Aug 20, 2017 at 02:51 PM
reggieb
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D850 or Nikon mirrorless

I am trying to decide between the D10,000 and a9 mk XXVIII.

Can you guys tell me which will be better?

EDIT: I know I'm being a jerk, but I do find these posts kind of funny.

Aug 20, 2017 at 02:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

carlitos
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D850 or Nikon mirrorless

I know that Sony e-mount is not a DSLR mount, but Nikon's mirrorless appears to be designed for adapters. Just idle speculation...

Aug 20, 2017 at 02:54 PM
Vinnie_VdB
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D850 or Nikon mirrorless

Alex, buy the D850 and get done with it. You cannot start asking questions that nobody can answer. Do you think that somebody will start writing on a camera that is only mentioned in an interview but for the rest nothing is known about?

Aug 20, 2017 at 03:01 PM
JohnK007
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D850 or Nikon mirrorless

Just finished watching Michael the Maven's new video comparing the D5, the 1DxII, and the A9:

The takeaway is this:

The D5 has, by far, the best AF accuracy and best, most professional ergonomics (yet weak video); but
The 1DxII is the most polished overall camers with no weaknesses (including video was the best of all 3);
The A9 has some cool new features, has the best ISO performance, but is unpolished and had the worst focusing accuracy of all.

One thing Michael touched on (but really stood out to me) was, the tiny size of the A9 is not very appealing. It was so small, his last two fingers couldn't even grip the thing. And he was only shooting a little 24-70 lens.

The 'small camera' concept is only good for tiny portrait lenses ... it is a ridiculous handicap to a sports camera with huge glass at the end of it. I can't imagine holding a super-telephoto lens with my left hand ... while only my top 3 fingers hold a tiny camera ... while my right pinky finger dangles because there's nothing to hold.

That would get old, fast.

Aug 20, 2017 at 03:28 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D850 or Nikon mirrorless

JohnK007 wrote:
Just finished watching Michael the Maven's new video comparing the D5, the 1DxII, and the A9:

The takeaway is this:

The D5 has, by far, the best AF accuracy and best, most professional ergonomics (yet weak video); but
The 1DxII is the most polished overall camers with no weaknesses (including video was the best of all 3);
The A9 has some cool new features, has the best ISO performance, but is unpolished and had the worst focusing accuracy of all.

One thing Michael touched on (but really stood out to me) was, the tiny size of the A9 is not very appealing. It was so
...Show more

Yes, the vertical grip is pretty much mandatory for the Sony cameras if you're handling any sort of heavy lens - so the mirrorless size "advantage" disappears pretty quickly.

Aug 20, 2017 at 03:41 PM
reggieb
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D850 or Nikon mirrorless

JohnK007 wrote:

The takeaway is this:

One thing Michael touched on (but really stood out to me) was, the tiny size of the A9 is not very appealing. It was so
...Show more

I mean, you'd have a lot of money left over after buying the camera and the vertical grip for the camera, compared to the other 2 in the comparison. And then you have the option to add the grip when you use big glass. Horses for courses.

Aug 20, 2017 at 03:41 PM
JohnK007
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D850 or Nikon mirrorless

reggieb wrote:
And then you have the option to add the grip when you use big glass.

What big glass?

Aside from the Sony's worst-in-class focus accuracy, worst-in-class buffer, and its toy-like inconvenient size ... was the fact Sony has no Class A big glass at all.

It only has 'walk-around' landscape/portrait prime options. Hear there's a 400mm f/2.8 on the way though.

Aug 20, 2017 at 04:04 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D850 or Nikon mirrorless

Some counter views of the A9 and other cameras.

https://petapixel.com/2017/06/13/real-world-comparison-sony-a9-nikon-d5/

Aug 20, 2017 at 05:00 PM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D850 or Nikon mirrorless

reggieb wrote:
I mean, you'd have a lot of money left over after buying the camera and the vertical grip for the camera, compared to the other 2 in the comparison. And then you have the option to add the grip when you use big glass. Horses for courses.

I'd never purchase a camera with the built in grip. You have no choice but to lug around the extra bulk and weight even if you don't require it. I had a 1D2n and hated the fact it always had the grip built in.

Aug 20, 2017 at 05:04 PM
JohnK007
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · D850 or Nikon mirrorless

Interesting videos.

Basically, they amount to 'brighten the Sony images' ... 'dim the Nikon Canon images' ... and call it a comparison

Aug 21, 2017 at 12:20 AM
chez
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · D850 or Nikon mirrorless

JohnK007 wrote:
Interesting videos.

Basically, they amount to 'brighten the Sony images' ... 'dim the Nikon Canon images' ... and call it a comparison

It's just not brighten, but colour accuracy as well. A9 video right out of the camera looks pretty sweet in comparison.

Aug 21, 2017 at 12:59 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password