New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · The boy's are back in town

lighthound
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The boy's are back in town

Found this bull last weekend. He and one other bul are the first one to arrive back in the valley this year getting ready for the upcoming rut.

This guy is looking ready for some action but the other old guy (not shown here) doesn't look too good and will likely not be hooking up with any girls this fall if he even makes it through the season.

These were shot on tripod in early light thus the ISO and "risky" SS.

Spent way too much time on the colored versions and finally gave up and thought I'd better save face and just go mono.
Not my preference but it ends the misery.

Thoughts and/or preferences?

Dave

Aug 19, 2017 at 11:04 AM
Kevin T
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The boy's are back in town

Wow, great setting and captures! Well done. I like the mono. Are you pursuing any other processing options?

Aug 19, 2017 at 11:41 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The boy's are back in town

Great setm the first is my fav. I can't tell about B&W processing, but I wonder if the black point is dark enough? Tonality is my great problem with B&W.

Aug 19, 2017 at 11:59 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The boy's are back in town

Kevin T wrote:
Wow, great setting and captures! Well done. I like the mono. Are you pursuing any other processing options?

Thanks Kevin! I pursue so many pp options I get lost and confused on a weekly basis.
Why do you ask?

Dave
---------------------------------------------

ben egbert wrote:
Great setm the first is my fav. I can't tell about B&W processing, but I wonder if the black point is dark enough? Tonality is my great problem with B&W.

Thanks Ben. I am also wondering about what others think on the black point. This was a fairly foggy scene but I lost almost all of it when I set the black point initially. I'm wondering if what remains of the fog is seen as a bad black point setting.

Dave

Aug 19, 2017 at 12:27 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The boy's are back in town

I would have never guessed it was foggy

Aug 19, 2017 at 01:40 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The boy's are back in town

Magnificent animal...

Might try the "dehaze" slider in LR to see if anything interests you?

Bob

Aug 19, 2017 at 02:07 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The boy's are back in town

ben egbert wrote:
I would have never guessed it was foggy

I know, that's the tricky part of processing foggy scenes that I haven't figured out the best/proper way to process them.
I always seem to lose the fog. I think it's because there is no true blacks in an image such as this and I always try to set a black point when perhaps you're not suppose to.

Below is a sooc image for reference with no processing done at all.

Dave

sooc image

Aug 19, 2017 at 02:30 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The boy's are back in town

Bob Jarman wrote:
Magnificent animal...

Might try the "dehaze" slider in LR to see if anything interests you?

Bob

Thanks for the edit Bob. I actually did play with the dehaze feature to see what it would do but to my mind I was trying to keep the image closer to the actual scene.
This is one of those situations where it's not "clear" (pun intended) which direction to go.

Dave

Aug 19, 2017 at 02:39 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The boy's are back in town

lighthound wrote:
Thanks for the edit Bob. I actually did play with the dehaze feature to see what it would do but to my mind I was trying to keep the image closer to the actual scene.
This is one of those situations where it's not "clear" (pun intended) which direction to go.

Dave

In that case I'd say the originals do the job quite well, especially #2 & 3. Seeing the OOC helps understand

Bob

Aug 19, 2017 at 03:08 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The boy's are back in town

I'm still a bit confused about your goal but never let confusion stop me before

This series uses a "fade" setting in a series of actions I bought from Gavin Gough . It is supposed to simulate a film aesthetic since film will never produce a pure black (nor pure white) - perhaps the "fade" can also introduce the foggy aesthetic?

Images go from fade +1 to +3, effect shifts the black baseline (vertical axis) right in even increments, not sure how that is done with the sliders and haven't tried to find out how either, it just works.

Anyway ??

Bob

Added the last as point of reference: fade +0

Faed +1

Faed +2

Fade +3

Fade +0

Aug 19, 2017 at 03:36 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The boy's are back in town

The boys are back in top form!! Nice work Dave, and also with excellent finishing work from Bob. The animal's head in the last photo is in an odd position, extremely unusual, perhaps "ambidextrous." That's the one I love the most, having a surreal quality. Looks like that new toy is working pretty well.

Steve

Aug 19, 2017 at 04:39 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The boy's are back in town

You might try color selection to darken the greens a bit on your B&W conversion to better separate the subject from the background trees.

Aug 19, 2017 at 04:40 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The boy's are back in town

Fine capture and nice to see the monochrome conversion
I like the second pose best
Different mood with Bobs further Dr haze, a feature I have yet to try
I like the original and the extra dehaze!

Scott

Aug 19, 2017 at 04:53 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The boy's are back in town

Poses on #2 & #3 are atypical ... in a good way.
I think #2 maintains more of a masculine "head high" demeanor, while #3 takes on a bit more "demure" vibe.

Here's a few tweaks on sooc. Wasn't sure which way you might have wanted it to go, so here's but one rendering. Several ways you could take / nuance it.

Edited on Aug 20, 2017 at 09:01 AM · View previous versions

Aug 19, 2017 at 09:01 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · The boy's are back in town

All nice, Dave! I think I like 1 the best. I kinda dig that low contrast look, which is odd cause at first I think I wanted more blacks/contrast. Captures some old school charm, if that makes sense.

Interesting takes all around from everyone here - great example of how different perspectives and takes can really showcase processing flexibility!

Jeff

Aug 20, 2017 at 08:27 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · The boy's are back in town

eeneryma wrote:
The boys are back in top form!! Nice work Dave, and also with excellent finishing work from Bob. The animal's head in the last photo is in an odd position, extremely unusual, perhaps "ambidextrous." That's the one I love the most, having a surreal quality. Looks like that new toy is working pretty well.

Steve

Thanks for the kind words Steve. So far I'm liking the new toy.

Dave

AuntiPode wrote:
You might try color selection to darken the greens a bit on your B&W conversion to better separate the subject from the background trees.

Good suggestion Karen! I would try that if I knew how. Yet another task I need to look into one of these days.

Dave

sbeme wrote:
Fine capture and nice to see the monochrome conversion
I like the second pose best
Different mood with Bobs further Dr haze, a feature I have yet to try
I like the original and the extra dehaze!

Scott

Thanks Scott! Bob's got a few very nice edits there.

Dave

RustyBug wrote:
Poses on #2 & #3 are atypical ... in a good way.
I think #2 maintains more of a masculine "head high" demeanor, while #3 takes on a bit more "demure" vibe.

Here's a few tweaks on sooc. Wasn't sure which way you might have wanted it to go, so here's but one rendering. Several ways you could take / nuance it.

Thanks Kent and nice edit on the color. Could you tell me what color points you would use in such an image to look for neutrals? The top of the nose I'm sure would be one of them but I had a hard time figuring out others. I tried the greyish looking BG tree branches but bad things happened so I didn't trust them.

Dave

beavens wrote:
All nice, Dave! I think I like 1 the best. I kinda dig that low contrast look, which is odd cause at first I think I wanted more blacks/contrast. Captures some old school charm, if that makes sense.

Interesting takes all around from everyone here - great example of how different perspectives and takes can really showcase processing flexibility!

Jeff

Thanks Jeff! It's hard to let go of the fog but I do like that last edit of Bob's as well.

sorry for the delayed reply all.

Dave

Aug 24, 2017 at 03:45 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.