Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Carry-Speed Mounting Pin: Can it Be Unscrewed and Moved T...

jeetsukumaran
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Carry-Speed Mounting Pin: Can it Be Unscrewed and Moved To RRS clamp?

Folks with the Carry-Speed FS Pro III or Extreme: can the mounting pin that comes with their stock plate be unscrewed and rescrewed onto an RRS quick-release clamp? I do not like the CarrySpeed baseplate design. If I can attach the mounting pin to an RRS clamp, I can then just attach the strap using that to any camera with an L-plate or Arca-Swis-ish baseplate.

Aug 19, 2017 at 02:58 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Carry-Speed Mounting Pin: Can it Be Unscrewed and Moved To RRS clamp?

it just gets in the way. that why they have that offset design. the newer RRS designed plates support a QD from Magpul and others make. nothing sticks out of the plate to get in the way(the fail of many designs). easy on easy off

the Magpul lock can be purchased and the RRS B2-FABN-micro slid on and locked to you RRS or other plate and used as a QD. it doesn't look like it is going to be spliced into existing plates only newer ones but can be adapted on.

adapted to my D7200 and can be done with others

Edited on Aug 19, 2017 at 03:45 PM · View previous versions

Aug 19, 2017 at 03:32 PM
jeetsukumaran
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Carry-Speed Mounting Pin: Can it Be Unscrewed and Moved To RRS clamp?

Hi sjms,

Perhaps so, but I've been using the RRS clamp with a sling strap for a long time with no issues. Like the flexibility it gives me to attach to either side of the L-bracket as I need etc., or remove it cleanly if I do not want/need it. I would like to use the CarrySpeed strap for its padding and slide quick-adjust capability. So I would like to know if I can mount the mounting pin on an RRS clamp without going to a machine shop or welding!

Yes, I considered and like the RRS QD attachment system. Looks slick in terms of an attachment. But the entire system itself gives me doubt. Problem is the RRS strap itself is a really plain, with non of the features I like (YMMV) about my current strap --- nice wide thick padding to distribute the weight + non-stick/grippy underside to stop it sliding around. Worse, with my current sling strip that I like, the link/connector glides up and down the strap. With the RRS system, it looks like the connection point to the camera is fixed, and you have to move/slide the whole strap to get the camera up to your face and down. I'm not crazy about that.

Aug 19, 2017 at 03:44 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Carry-Speed Mounting Pin: Can it Be Unscrewed and Moved To RRS clamp?

you can get the Magpul component and adapt it into you strap with relative ease
keeping your preferred strap in use. it will replace yours and function just like it

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/QR-Strap-Swivel

I prefer the strap to move for a number of reasons. but then that's me

Aug 19, 2017 at 04:02 PM
jeetsukumaran
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Carry-Speed Mounting Pin: Can it Be Unscrewed and Moved To RRS clamp?

sjms wrote:
you can get the Magpul component and adapt it into you strap with relative ease
keeping your preferred strap in use. it will replace yours and function just like it

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/QR-Strap-Swivel

I prefer the strap to move for a number of reasons. but then that's me

That was, in fact, my initial hope. Problem is that the desired strap (Op Tech sling) requires me to cut the end to be able to pass it through the sliders/buckle. Sucks. I like the Op Tech strap for everything but the attachment -- too dangly. The Carry Speed does everything I want but the attachment -- to restrictive. The RRS has the best attachment, but the strap sucks. If I were to go for the RRS swivel, I would also have to buy ANOTHER RRS clamp, because mine is the older one without the QD receiver --- that's ~$90 once shipping is factored in, plus $128 for the Carry Speed. Simply not worth it just for the QD design. So, my ideal would be to be able to mount the Carry Speed using my current RRS clamp. Hence, my original question -- can the Carry Speed mounting pin be independently attached to the RRS clamp?

Aug 19, 2017 at 04:08 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Carry-Speed Mounting Pin: Can it Be Unscrewed and Moved To RRS clamp?

I wouldn't say the strap sucks on the RRS. it is my preferred one. and like I said for a few reasons. everything is going to be some give and take. have you look at the sunsniper line it allows for pretty much what you want

you can if you want to as long as it is the proper threading. but yiu end up with the pin just being in the way most of the time. its a pretty poorly thought out design that forces you into a corner to use only their stuff.

Aug 19, 2017 at 04:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jeetsukumaran
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Carry-Speed Mounting Pin: Can it Be Unscrewed and Moved To RRS clamp?

sjms wrote:
the sunsniper line it allows for pretty much what you want

Yes! The sunsniper is great. I have it and love it! I think their attachment, while inferior to the RRS's/firearm industry standard QD, was years ahead of its time when it first came out, relieving the torque/twist by an independent rotating mechanism rather than the crappy BlackRapid design, which loaded all the torque for the swing/dangle onto the unscrewing mechanism. Only thing is that with the SunSniper, adjusting the strap length is major chore, requiring unfastening the (excellent) padded wrap, adjusting, tucking it away, and reattaching the wrap. And I have found that it is really nice to be able to go quickly back and forth between two strap lengths --- (1) loose enough to not only be able to shoot, but to easily hold the camera far enough away to comfortably read the LCD screen/top; (2) cinched tight against back for walking/hiking. In EITHER of these configurations, the SunSniper works great. It is switching back and forth that is the issue.

Aug 19, 2017 at 04:31 PM
jeetsukumaran
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Carry-Speed Mounting Pin: Can it Be Unscrewed and Moved To RRS clamp?

sjms wrote:
I wouldn't say the strap sucks on the RRS.

So, this requires the whole strap to move along with the attachment point, instead of just sliding the swivel? Seems like it might work OK ... depending on the clothes you are wearing! E.g., loose shirt with rough material might get yanked, crumpled, caught etc.

Aug 19, 2017 at 04:33 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Carry-Speed Mounting Pin: Can it Be Unscrewed and Moved To RRS clamp?

I have used and still use this type of strap assy
- Magpul
- luma labs cinch.

haven't gotten it caught up yet (8 or so years now) because you can on the fly adjust the length as needed.

I totally dislike the sliding types because I have little control over them they slide at their whim with inertia unless you have you hand on it at all times.

Aug 19, 2017 at 06:21 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Carry-Speed Mounting Pin: Can it Be Unscrewed and Moved To RRS clamp?

jeetsukumaran wrote:
Yes! The sunsniper is great. I have it and love it! I think their attachment, while inferior to the RRS's/firearm industry standard QD, was years ahead of its time when it first came out, relieving the torque/twist by an independent rotating mechanism rather than the crappy BlackRapid design, which loaded all the torque for the swing/dangle onto the unscrewing mechanism. Only thing is that with the SunSniper, adjusting the strap length is major chore, requiring unfastening the (excellent) padded wrap, adjusting, tucking it away, and reattaching the wrap. And I have found that it is really nice to be able
...Show more
they are not the only one using that basic design. I have a luma labs cinch using a Custom SLR mount. almost indestructible and will not back out.
https://customslr.com/collections/full-catalog/products/c-loop-black

just remember there is no goldilocks answer- "just right"

Aug 19, 2017 at 11:43 PM
jeetsukumaran
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Carry-Speed Mounting Pin: Can it Be Unscrewed and Moved To RRS clamp?

sjms wrote:
they are not the only one using that basic design. I have a luma labs cinch using a Custom SLR mount. almost indestructible and will not back out.
https://customslr.com/collections/full-catalog/products/c-loop-black

just remember there is no goldilocks answer- "just right"

Interestingly, it seems like SunSniper has moved to the ball model for their latest iteration:

http://www.sun-sniper.com/en/

Also, tangentially interesting, it seem that Black Rapid is quite aggressively claiming the sling concept, even though a strong case can be made that they did not invent the sling, but thanks to lawyer power to enforce patent interpretation, they have successfully bullied a number of other folks off, including Carry Speed and Luma Labs:

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20111112/23323516751/luma-labs-discontinues-popular-product-line-after-competitor-gets-patent-despite-prior-art-going-back-over-century.shtml

https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=17975.15

Aug 20, 2017 at 02:44 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Carry-Speed Mounting Pin: Can it Be Unscrewed and Moved To RRS clamp?

a lot of old news there from 2011 on luma labs. mine is post all that crap. BR lost that battle in the end. mine is a combination of 2 different products. where Luma Labs makes a nice strap I didn't care for the connection system for the camera at the time. so I sourced out the Custom SLR connector that works with all plates that have 1/4-20 thread (which is just about everything).

if anyone poached a design it was Peak Designs with that "slide" strap. did a pretty poor job of it too.

Aug 20, 2017 at 10:19 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password