New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Flashpoint help

Jonathan Brady
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Flashpoint help

I'm evaluating the Sony system to see if it fits my needs and one area I haven't jumped into yet is flash. I'm heavily considering the Flashpoint R2 system (same as Godox, from my understanding, but Adorama backs Flashpoint) and I've read a LOT of positive feedback on the XPLOR and the eVOLV but I haven't seen anything regarding their hotshoe mounted flashes like the Zoom and the Zoom mini.

Obviously, all of these pieces are compatible with one another which is what makes them attractive, but if the flashes aren't reliable (not sure if they are or not, again, I haven't seen feedback) then that changes things significantly.

I'm also curious about the construction of these flashes. Clearly, the price is great compared to what I'm used to (Canon 600EX RT-II) but I've tried some third party flashes with Canon (the Yongnuo YN600EXII-RT) and the construction and fit/finish is noticeably lacking - as is the recycle time. Any feedback here?

I'd be looking to purchase:
1 of the Zoom and/or Zoom mini (the smaller size and lighter weight of the mini version seems it would pair well for occasional on-camera flash needs). I'm leaning towards mini but realistically, both are so cheap that I may just buy both.
2-4 of the eVOLV 200 (reception lighting I will often put one flash in each corner)
1 of the XPLOR

In total, that's about $2150, if I buy new. Should I decide Sony is going to work for me, I'd pick up a second camera and all I'd need to do is add a second flash for it and another transceiver and I'd be good to go.

Anything I'm missing or not thinking through properly?

Thanks!

Aug 18, 2017 at 05:57 PM
GabrielPhoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Flashpoint help

I have two of the Godox TTT658S and the Adorama version with Lion battery. Both have been very reliable although I mostly use my Xplo600 strobe when on the field as main light.
One thing to note...if you are buying the Xplor600 with TTL, there is a problem right now when shooting at faster than 2.8 speeds where it will under expose. We are still waiting for a firmware to fix it. I use a lightmeter personally as much as possible but its still lame to not get the features you paid for working specially if I wanted to do some fast pace moving around kind of shoot.
Oh and I would add the Xplor600 extension head to that list. It is REALLY a fantastic option.

Aug 18, 2017 at 08:10 PM
Chris Geiger
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Flashpoint help

I switched over from Canon about 3 month ago. The Canon 600EXRT flashes are great units with nice build quality. I started my Sony experience with a pair of V860 II flashes and X1 on camera trigger. I could use the flash on camera as master or use both off camera as slaves. The radio link always works, just like Canon.

The recycle rate is better with the 860 II due to the dedicated lithium battery. Even full pops only take 2 seconds to recover. It's about like taking a Canon and plugging in an additional external pack.

These flashes are a little heavy and I am really trying to lighten my shooting load. Working a long wedding day, takes a toll on my older body. Reducing the weight I lift was a key part of shifting to the Sony system. I wanted to use the X1 controller more but I find I really want some on camera flash in addition to my off camera flash. I had a problem setting up one day at a wedding with this system when the foot broke off of one of the flash units when I was mounting it on the light stand. These 860 II Sony units have very weak feet on them and it take very little to break one off.

I was able to purchase a low cost Bowens mount for the flash. So now I can take the flash with a broken foot and put it into the Bowens mount and then put that onto a light stand. It also has hole for a umbrella. This is a better solution for using them off camera.

For on camera I ended up buying a pair of Mini R2 flashes. These little flashes have about 1/2 the power of a normal flash and run on 2 AA rechargeable batteries. These are working perfectly for me and now stay on my camera all day at a wedding. For getting ready I bounce off of the ceiling or walls like a full size flash. It can also do fill flash for small groups like the bridal party. For formal photos I use the external flashes on light stands and the mini R2's do a great job of triggering those. It's easy to disable the flash of the R2 so it works just as a trigger. I find its a better trigger than the X1.

In addition to the two V860 II flashes I have that are now only used as remote flashes I also purchased one of the AD200 Flashes. This also works with the same wireless system. So either body I am shooting with can trigger it and/or the other flashes as needed. The AD200 has the power of three standard flash units. (200watt/seconds)

Now that I have been using the system for awhile I wish I had never purchased the V860 II's and just purchased two or three of the AD200's. Those AD200's are really working well and I am going to replace the other flashes with them sooner or later. The AD200 are easy to use and quick to mount on a light stand.

For color control, I really liked the clip on plastic CTO gels on the Canon flash units. For the V860 II and AD200 flashes I am using the Magmod standard system. It's about $80 per flash but comes with both 1/2 and full CTO gels and some other colors as well. For the R2, I have cut out some small pieces of gel that velcro into place on top of the flash. It's not as good a solution as Canon but it is working for matching indoor lighting.

Aug 19, 2017 at 01:02 AM
Jonathan Brady
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Flashpoint help

Gabriel - thanks for sharing your experience - especially in regards to TTL. That's odd and also very unfortunate. I generally shoot full manual with my current strobe but do like the option of TTL for those moments I don't have the time to dial it in perfectly. I've also only recently begun hearing about the extension head and it looks pretty great!

Chris - thank you, too, for sharing your experience. That's just a WEALTH of information and I'm so grateful for it! I'll definitely be using it to guide me through my purchases.

As for weight and exhaustion, if you're not already using the Spider Holster, I highly, HIGHLY recommend it to get any and all weight off your shoulders. Literally the only drawback I've found is that when walking with cameras stowed, your arms can't swing normally. But if you're carrying your camera(s) in a traditional manner (around your neck or across your body) they're not swinging normally there either - so it's not really a drawback - it's simply not an advantage. Otherwise, the system is ridiculously fantastic and worth every penny! Carrying the weight on your hips as opposed to your shoulders/neck will change how you feel after any and every shoot. I promise!

It sounds like the mini may be the best choice. I don't use on-camera flash often except for candids during events (like the cocktail hour at weddings, for instance) and I also already own the MagMod system for 5 flashes (2 Canon and 3 Yongnuo currently but that would switch to one or two Mini - if I buy another Sony camera - and 3-4 AD200). How does the Mini head fare with the MagMod sphere or bounce attached? I assume just like every other flash which is to say it falls down when any sort of momentum is applied?

Thanks again for all the great info you guys!

Aug 19, 2017 at 05:00 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Flashpoint help

For wedding work the AD200 on stands would be ideal. It's all self contained with power and it goes a long way. You could place like 2 or 3 in a room than use the R2 trigger to control power to each head . You can also use the mini to do this as well. The mini has the same controls to adjust power and transmit the signal. Actually even the bigger on camera flash will do the same and still transmit plus be used as a flash.

Right now I have 3 AD 200 and buying a 4th. Than I have the 660 and 350 as well. Plus I have one AC monolight as well for studio and modeling lamp when needed. I use these for portraits a lot . So I have 4 heads for it. Main,fill,hair and background and it travels very light. I love these systems. I used big studio strobes my whole career and I love the fact I can get this all in a shoulder bag setup in minutes. The biggest drag has always been light stands and still is. Not much you can do about that end of it. But you don't need monster stands either. These are very lightweight . You will want to invest in a few S mount adapters so you can put a AD200 in a soft box. Works very nice and there only 20 dollars

The Ad200 if you buy the bigger package have bare bulb heads and a fresnel head. So barebulb for softboxes and reflectors and fresnel for direct,bounce or grid spot use. So you have both options. I would buy Flashpoint from Adorama as they are a source of service and support. Now they put out a double head setup for two Ad200 together for a total of 400 watts in one softbox and such. I'm buying one of those as well.every unit I bought came with a full kit at 345 dollars the 299 unit is just the flash. Spend the extra 45 to get the whole kit. I'll get a link

Edited on Aug 19, 2017 at 07:38 AM · View previous versions

Aug 19, 2017 at 07:25 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Flashpoint help

Btw my model numbers maybe wrong. It maybe a 680 with lithium battery that's the one you want.

I'll post some links

Aug 19, 2017 at 07:27 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Flashpoint help

Big on camera

https://www.adorama.com/fplfsmzl2so.html

Little on camera

https://www.adorama.com/fplfsmminiso.html

Now be careful here as the kits change but I would at least buy one of these kits as it has the grids, gells and all the accessories in one kit plus the R2 transmitter. Even though the portable will transmit you still want a R2 standalone. So get this whole kit than you can buy just a extra head and parts you need

https://www.adorama.com/fplfev200so.html

Aug 19, 2017 at 07:30 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Flashpoint help

For light stands and soft box work get these as they work really nice. You may have to remove a piece of rubber to get the Ad 200 to fit in. Not a big deal.

https://www.adorama.com/glbdsm02.html

Aug 19, 2017 at 07:36 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Flashpoint help

This is new and I'm buying one of these now as it will hold two AD200 so you can get 400 watt power in a one head package. But you need the barebulb tubs that come with the AD200 so make sure you have 2 of the heads. Why I said watch what packages you order on the AD200. The 299 price you don't get the gels and grids, so need to look at that. I would order one of the 373 dollar ones to get the R2 in it than the 345 dollar one with no R2 than if you went for 3 heads than just buy the 299 unit. That's what I will do on my forth unit as I have enough accessories to spread across my kit

https://www.adorama.com/fplfevtwin.html

Aug 19, 2017 at 07:45 AM
Chris Geiger
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Flashpoint help

Yes, I am already using a dual spyder setup on a think tank harness. Been using that for the past 3 years now.

The magmod fits just fine on the little R2 flashes, and they hold the extra weight no problem. I prefer to not use the magmod on those and just use a simple gel. It's much smaller and light than the Magmod.

Aug 19, 2017 at 11:01 AM
MNPNW
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Flashpoint help

I appreciate this thread. I've rented an a9 kit this week to try it out. So far, very happy with the system. I'm currently using 600ET-RX units which I started purchasing as soon as they were available. Bought three at the initial release price and added three more over time.

I've been watching the Godox evolution and know a few photographers using the system so am glad to hear that it's pretty good with the Sony.

It looks like Adorama and Cheetah Stand are the two leading suppliers with B&H now eliminating the Bolt brand and going with the Godox brand.

To test the Sony, I rented the a9, 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8, and the HVL-F60M.

After it arrived, I did setup while reading the manual. That night mixed it into my event coverage, zero issues, ended up using it more than my Canon. That's how fast I got used to it and had confidence that I was getting good images.

Next day, covered fundraising golf tourney and an evening event, all good.

Today a wedding and more event stuff tomorrow and Monday, then rental return.

Like any system, there are a few things I'd like different; however, I guess Sony didn't design the camera around my personal desires, so disappointing. .

The system with the most natural aperture and shutter speed dials is the OM-D E-M-MII. My thumb and index finger naturally sit on the dials. First time I picked up the camera, I adjusted ss and aperture without looking or searching for dials.

Will take getting used to the Sony locations (if I switch).

Other things I'd like:
Ability to change size of zone focus area, seems too big for me.
Select different color for the frame of the zone focus area, the gray is too hard to see in many scenes.
Ability to toggle the custom button settings instead of press and hold.

Regardless, the Godox system appears to be the system of choice with Sony cameras.

Aug 19, 2017 at 01:09 PM
Helen Oster
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Flashpoint help

Jonathan Brady wrote:
I'm evaluating the Sony system to see if it fits my needs and one area I haven't jumped into yet is flash. I'm heavily considering the Flashpoint R2 system (same as Godox, from my understanding, but Adorama backs Flashpoint) and I've read a LOT of positive feedback on the XPLOR and the eVOLV but I haven't seen anything regarding their hotshoe mounted flashes like the Zoom and the Zoom mini.

We have a dedicated Flashpoint tech team [email protected]. Do feel free to email them directly with your queries.

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera

Aug 19, 2017 at 04:33 PM
Jonathan Brady
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Flashpoint help

now... to wait on a decent sale...

Aug 22, 2017 at 07:23 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.