New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Question about Minolta 58mm f1.2

zhangyue
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Question about Minolta 58mm f1.2

Fellow Alt friends, since I decide to keep my A7RII for a while, I decide give legendary Minolta 58mm f1.2 another try.
Here are a few question:

1. About earlier metal version or later plastic barrel version: is there any difference in coating? build qualtiy? performance? how about focusing feel, and manual focus ring range/distance from MFD to infinity?
2. I had a metal version before, Is it a normal behavior that focusing ring is very smooth (actually too smooth) with slightly wobble, and it is a heavy glass. (as a preference, I prefer it has more damping for focusing.)

Aug 18, 2017 at 09:57 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Question about Minolta 58mm f1.2

My rokkor-x version with rubber grips is quite nicely damped and has no wobble whatsoever.

Aug 19, 2017 at 02:15 AM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Question about Minolta 58mm f1.2

The latest version is still the same heay duty lens with a metal barrel. It just has a rubberized focusing ring. A good copy should have no play and a pleasont not too smooth resistance.

There have been rumors that the coatings were improved during production but I am not aware of any evidence to back it up.

Aug 19, 2017 at 03:22 PM
akpo.ca

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Question about Minolta 58mm f1.2

I have the metal (ribbed) version in near mint condition, there is no wobble nor play between the focusing rings and lens body/front focusing group. It's a very sharp lens on an a7r wide open (not much field curvature), and is extremely sharp to the edges when stopped down even if used on a larger, 44x33mm sensor.

Aug 19, 2017 at 04:58 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Question about Minolta 58mm f1.2

The only clear difference optical between some of the older versions and the newer versions is that the oldest metal versions had radiated glass. As Philip says there are suggestions the newer versions have different coatings, but I have not seen that verified. I think both the older metal focus ring versions and the newer waffle focus ring versions are both very nice and a good copy is very well damped without wobble. For seeing lots of reports and sample, I think copy variation within each type of lens exceeds difference between the types of lens by quite a bit.

Aug 19, 2017 at 05:28 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Question about Minolta 58mm f1.2

Thank you all the reply and even PMs. Very helpful and knowledgeable crowd you can't find anywhere but here.

Adapt this lens on GFX will have a lot of fun. How much equivalence for focal length and aperture. simplest conversion without think about format ratio will be 46mm 0.96. How much 50mm Noct cost?

Aug 19, 2017 at 07:29 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Question about Minolta 58mm f1.2

akpo.ca wrote:
I have the metal (ribbed) version in near mint condition, there is no wobble nor play between the focusing rings and lens body/front focusing group. It's a very sharp lens on an a7r wide open (not much field curvature), and is extremely sharp to the edges when stopped down even if used on a larger, 44x33mm sensor.

i'd love to see some shots with the lens on a 44x33 sensor!

michael,
i've had more than 10 copies of the lens pass through my hands, and i don't think any had a wobble or even a terribly light damping. does it seem like the helicoid is worn down? if you want i could send instructions for disassembly to see whats wrong with it.

i haven't noticed any optical superiority from any of the versions other than the early ones have a radioactive yellow caste.

Aug 20, 2017 at 04:57 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Question about Minolta 58mm f1.2

sebboh wrote:
i'd love to see some shots with the lens on a 44x33 sensor!

https://jonasraskphotography.com/2017/08/16/minolta-x-fujifilm/

Aug 20, 2017 at 05:04 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Question about Minolta 58mm f1.2

Phillip Reeve wrote:
https://jonasraskphotography.com/2017/08/16/minolta-x-fujifilm/

dammit, i was sure i was interested in this camera because of the size...

Aug 20, 2017 at 06:24 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Question about Minolta 58mm f1.2

Wobble is not normal. Does it looks like it's been tampered with?

Aug 20, 2017 at 06:46 AM
genji
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Question about Minolta 58mm f1.2

sebboh wrote:
dammit, i was sure i was interested in this camera because of the size...

I wasn't really interested in the camera but now I might have to get one because I own most of the Rokkor lenses he mentions.

Aug 20, 2017 at 10:48 AM
nehemiahphoto
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Question about Minolta 58mm f1.2

I saw this a whilr back...I have a Mino 100 f2, Mino 58 1.2 and Mino 85 limited I'd love to see on a GFX...couple those with a CY 35 1.4!

Aug 21, 2017 at 12:12 AM
pasblues
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Question about Minolta 58mm f1.2

I've got one and have both FujiX-T2 and a Sony a7rII coming. I've shot the 58mm on the Fuji and it's very nice. The Sony has a little advantage in that the focus assist is actually very, very useful.

I'm going to postulate a little bit ahead of any scientific findings (ahem lol) that there may be some differences from copy to copy of old lenses - it just makes sense that there would be because of age and handling and environment, etc.

Then, there really are differences in adapters and I'm not sure that it's got majorly to do with how much money you spend on this or that one. I have K&F, Novaflex and Fotodiox for Sony - and K&F for Fuji. The main thing is that the adapter be a good fit, etc.

I said all that to get to the point that there are a couple of vintage lenses I have that are heads above the others. They all *look good* from a clean glass standpoint and no wobbling. But the Minolta 85mm f1.7 I have is REALLY REALLY sharp and makes beautiful images.

The other lens is a Russian Helios 44-3 58mm f2 that shocked me to pieces. It's funky in how it treats the unsharp parts of the frame - but in a pleasant way.

The Minolta 85mm is just a really sharp copy that I'm gonna guess was serviced at some point. It's just remarkably clean and the images, well, I'm rambling.

I'm anxious to get the 58mm f1.2 out on the Sony, though. When shooting at f1.2, it's a very small DOF...very. It's not everyone's cup of tea. The glass in these lenses is very good, though, so using them at f5.6 should be wonderful - and probably a lot more useful fstop.

Sep 12, 2017 at 06:00 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password