New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Please advise on brand/type of adapters for A7rii

Michael Gordon
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Please advise on brand/type of adapters for A7rii

Will be traveling in a month or so and plan to rent an A7RII with techartpro adapter.
This is in lieu of my Canon. I plan to use my C/Y 35-70 but not sure if that is a good lens to use on the techartpro. Would need some sort of C/Y to Sony E if put directly on the cam or C/Y to Leica M--what do you think? I have been pleased with my Cameraquest adapter with Optix V chip for many moons.

I plan to purchase either this cam or the "son of" over the next several months. My fotodiox pro C/Y to Canon is OK but not quite as nicely fitting.
I plan to bring my CV 90/3.5 in OM mount and 180/4 in OM mount at a minimum as well (on techartpro) as the Sony 55 for one AF lens. Much appreciate any comments.

Aug 18, 2017 at 09:45 PM
artur5
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Please advise on brand/type of adapters for A7rii

If you want AF with those manual lenses, no doubt the Techart Pro is the only game in town. Beware, as per multiple user reports, many of these adapters develop a ‘wobble’ after some time; more so if used with heavy SLR lenses via an intermediate adapter. Also, as focal length goes up, those 5 mm. of helicoids extension become clearly insufficient and you’d need to prefocus all the time ( i.e your 90/2.5 and specially your 180/4 )
A last “caveat”. I don’t know if this is the case of the C/Y 35-70, but many modern lenses have internal focus mechanism and/or floating elements. The quality of the image might suffer to some extent if you focus solely with the helicoids of the Techart.
If AF wasn’t an absolute must and you want the best fit for the C/Y 35-70 with zero wobble or play, a Leitax conversion direct from C/Y to Sony-E seems the way to go IMHO. At present Leitax doesn’t offer direct conversions from OM to Sony-E. In this case you’d need a conventional ring. Prices and quality are all around the place, as you surely know. Personally I always avoided super expensive brands like Novoflex and $10 cheapo units are a lottery (you may get a perfect adapter the first time or you might end up with several suboptimal copies). Although I never used them, I’ve read good things about the Chinese brand K&F Concept. Very nice quality at a reasonable price, but there’re many other brands with a good feedback : Kipon,Yeenon, Metabones..

Aug 19, 2017 at 01:47 PM
waterden
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Please advise on brand/type of adapters for A7rii

Novoflex adapters are beautifully machined to high tolerances and expensive for that good reason and I think for the marginal additional cost are well worth using. There is no point in marrying a fine lens to a fine sensor with a cheap, low tolerance ring which is high likely to introduce decentreing or worse. I have used Novoflex for all my adapters for years and on the one occasion that one failed (eventually wouldn't lock on correctly) it was replaced by the company with a newly designed model despite it being several years old. Of course, they are less expensively priced in the U.K. and Europe so the argument may be less compelling if you live in the US, where Fotodiox seem well liked but are not imo in the same league.

Aug 19, 2017 at 01:59 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Please advise on brand/type of adapters for A7rii

I had a Novaflex adapter when i had my 14-24 and used that on my A7r. I now have a 35-70 3,4 C/Y, and use a Fotodiox C/Y > E adapter. So far, so good! I may end up getting a Novaflex C/Y > E mount at some point and compare, but not in a hurry

Aug 19, 2017 at 02:30 PM
andersd

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Please advise on brand/type of adapters for A7rii

Hi Michael, I recommend taking a look at the adapter guide at Philip Reeve.net

Aug 19, 2017 at 03:08 PM
scrappydog
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Please advise on brand/type of adapters for A7rii

I use a Techart Pro with my A7RII, and I love it. I have used mine with my C/Y 35-70 without any issues. I recommend bringing a backup adapter, just in case. I have both a K&F Concept adapter and a Hawk's Factory helicoid. Both work great, although the Hawk's offers two benefits over the K&F: (1) you can focus to less than MFD, and (2) it can be adjusted to a hard-stop infinity focus.

My travel kit is the A7RII, Zeiss 35/1.4 ZM, Zeiss 85/4 ZM, Voigtlander 15/4.5 III, Techart Pro, and Hawk's. The kit is super light and takes up little space. All of the lenses are in the Leica M mount, and I use them all with the Techart Pro or Hawk's. Occasionally I wish I had a zoom, but generally, I am very happy with my tiny prime setup.

BTW, I also shoot a lot of Canon glass with the Metabones IV. The MB works great. For travel though, my Canon zooms are just too big. Hence, the Leica mount primes.

Aug 19, 2017 at 04:39 PM
trogdon
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Please advise on brand/type of adapters for A7rii

I have a Fotasy adapter for my Contax 35-70. Honestly it works just fine, with the infinity hard stop hitting exactly as it should. I feel no need to buy a nicer adapter, it has no centering or flare issues and it was $10

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:36 PM
Michael Gordon
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Please advise on brand/type of adapters for A7rii

Very much appreciate every comment and suggestion as well as the very helpful link to the adapter review. I recall Roger at Lenrentals MTF degradation comments about adapters and slightly leaning towards a direct C/Y to Sony (?Rayqual or Novoflex (like the tripod mount idea but the 35-70 isn't that big) and OM to Leica for the other lenses (still thinking about brand). It is concerning and disappointing to hear about the wobble on the Techartpro but will be only renting it this trip though had planned to buy one. The company doesn't seem to respond very quickly to e-mails.

Aug 19, 2017 at 11:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

genji
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Please advise on brand/type of adapters for A7rii

The Techart PRO FAQ has a list of adapters that are known to work with the TAP. In my experience, the Leicaist adapters (available on eBay) are the best choice.

Aug 20, 2017 at 12:19 AM
Michael Gordon
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Please advise on brand/type of adapters for A7rii

genji wrote:
The Techart PRO FAQ has a list of adapters that are known to work with the TAP. In my experience, the Leicaist adapters (available on eBay) are the best choice.

Thanks, haven't looked at that for quite awhile. I am a bit surprised that any adapter reasonable well made would have a problem. It has to provide the proper registration distance, attach smoothly, and enable one to stop down the lens with a pin for OM lenses, for example and that's about it. I can understand the price differences reflecting the precision of the machining and quality of materials.

Aug 20, 2017 at 02:25 AM
genji
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Please advise on brand/type of adapters for A7rii

Michael Gordon wrote:
Thanks, haven't looked at that for quite awhile. I am a bit surprised that any adapter reasonable well made would have a problem. It has to provide the proper registration distance, attach smoothly, and enable one to stop down the lens with a pin for OM lenses, for example and that's about it. I can understand the price differences reflecting the precision of the machining and quality of materials.

If you read through the various Techart PRO threads, you'll find multiple posts about reasonably well made adapters that turned out not to be compatible with the TAP. I've only used the Leicaist adapters (for Canon FD, Contax C/Y, Konica AR, Leica R, M42, Minolta MD, and Olympus OM) and I don't recall why these other adapters didn't work. If you find a non-Leicaist OM -> M adapter that works well with the TAP, PM me and I'll add it to the FAQ.

Aug 20, 2017 at 06:54 AM
JimKasson

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Please advise on brand/type of adapters for A7rii

genji wrote:

WRT registration distance, In my experience, most -- but not all -- adapters are too short. The Novoflex adapters are all too short by design. I use Kipon adapters, which do not have a too-short design aim point. I have only run into one lens/body combination that wouldn't focus to infinity with my Kipon adapters.

http://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/nex-adapters-that-are-the-right-length/

An adapter that is too short will not allow the best results from lenses with floating elements and may affect parfocality in zooms.

Jim

Aug 20, 2017 at 07:28 PM
JimKasson

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Please advise on brand/type of adapters for A7rii

waterden wrote:
Novoflex adapters are beautifully machined to high tolerances and expensive for that good reason and I think for the marginal additional cost are well worth using. There is no point in marrying a fine lens to a fine sensor with a cheap, low tolerance ring which is highly likely to introduce decentreing or worse.

I have evaluated about 40 adapters. I have not seen a single one with measurable decentering. Even 500 um of decentering, which would be a lot, would have no effect on any FF lens that I know of; the image circles are not that tightly designed.

The most common problem in adapters is that they don't provide the proper registration distance when mated. Most are too short. Novoflex adapters are too short by design.

The second most common problem is flimsy or out-of-tolerance mount hardware.

The third is field tilt.

Jim

Aug 20, 2017 at 07:35 PM
retrofocus
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Please advise on brand/type of adapters for A7rii

trogdon wrote:
I have a Fotasy adapter for my Contax 35-70. Honestly it works just fine, with the infinity hard stop hitting exactly as it should. I feel no need to buy a nicer adapter, it has no centering or flare issues and it was $10

+1. Exactly!

I rather spend the saved money for a more expensive adapter which does the same thing on a decent glass filter instead....

Aug 23, 2017 at 07:22 PM
arduluth
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Please advise on brand/type of adapters for A7rii

I'd rather spend the money on pretty much anything else. :P

Other than my Ulata Contax G adapter and my crappy M helicoid adapter, all of my adapters cost $8-15. They all work just fine. My Nikon adapter hit infinity at the hard stop out of the box, all the rest needed shimming, which was incredibly easy to do.

With years of cheap adapter, I've never run across one that is too long. I'm sure they're around, but it's not something I worry about when ordering some cheap no-name Chinese adapter from eBay or Amazon.

Aug 23, 2017 at 09:36 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password