Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · your thoughts on this modestly prices trio of lenses?

recurve

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · your thoughts on this modestly prices trio of lenses?

Recently got the D750 with 24-120 kit lens which I like so far. Thought about getting a 18-35 (new version) and 80 - 200 2.8 D to cover the spectrum from short to long.

your thoughts on this setup? if you have these lenses do you like them? what would you change?

I don't really shoot wildlife/bif except the odd critters that turn up in the back yard. I do more family and landscape/waterfall/flowers kind of things.

thanks for your time.

Aug 18, 2017 at 09:43 AM
reggieb
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · your thoughts on this modestly prices trio of lenses?

recurve wrote:
Recently got the D750 with 24-120 kit lens which I like so far. Thought about getting a 18-35 (new version) and 80 - 200 2.8 D to cover the spectrum from short to long.

your thoughts on this setup? if you have these lenses do you like them? what would you change?

I don't really shoot wildlife/bif except the odd critters that turn up in the back yard. I do more family and landscape/waterfall/flowers kind of things.

thanks for your time.

Is there a full frame 18-35? Maybe the 16-35?

Aug 18, 2017 at 09:51 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · your thoughts on this modestly prices trio of lenses?

reggieb wrote:

18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G. Supposed to be really good, though no first hand experience.

To the OP, It is a solid trio of slower glass, but why so much overlap in focal length? One thing you'll probably encounter is some range in color between the lenses as they are all from different eras and have different coatings and design. All three individually are solid lenses that do their own thing well.

Aug 18, 2017 at 10:04 AM
recurve

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · your thoughts on this modestly prices trio of lenses?

18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G. Supposed to be really good, though no first hand experience.

To the OP, It is a solid trio of slower glass, but why so much overlap in focal length? One thing you'll probably encounter is some range in color between the lenses as they are all from different eras and have different coatings and design. All three individually are solid lenses that do their own thing well.

Thanks - regarding overlap, i got the 24-120 with the kit and am now trying to work around that to cover the long and short ends. Any other lenses you would suggest in this situation?

Aug 18, 2017 at 10:14 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · your thoughts on this modestly prices trio of lenses?

The 18-35 (if you don't care about VR) and 24-120 are good choices but I would get a newer 70-200, even if it's just for VR, which is IMHO critical to have in that range plus the newer 70-200's are just so much better. A used 70-200 VRII is probably a good place to start.

You also have quite a bit of overlap with the 24-120, so unless you wanted it as your 'walk around' lens you could replace it with a 24-70 or just use 1-2 primes between 35mm and 70mm.

The 18-35G is full frame, it's just not weather sealed and lacks VR. Optical quality is very good for the price. I prefer the 16-35 for 2mm wider and VR is extremely useful in UWA, but it is heavier and more expensive than the 18-35.

Aug 18, 2017 at 10:43 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · your thoughts on this modestly prices trio of lenses?

Thanks - regarding overlap, i got the 24-120 with the kit and am now trying to work around that to cover the long and short ends. Any other lenses you would suggest in this situation?

A wide prime might be worth considering as well instead of the 18-35, like maybe the 20mm f/1.8g. For the long end, you could also consider the 180mm f/2.8d, or even just any fast 85.

24-120 is a great general purpose range, so the accompanying lenses can be more specialized (landscape wide lens, faster longish portrait lens).

Aug 18, 2017 at 10:46 AM
Smousefam5
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · your thoughts on this modestly prices trio of lenses?

Instead of the slow wide zoom my preference would be the 20mm 1.8 or even a 2.8D prime (which is what I chose after looking at the 18-35). I recently picked up an 80-200 and I will have to see over time how much I like it without the VR as it is HEAVY.

Aug 18, 2017 at 11:42 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · your thoughts on this modestly prices trio of lenses?

I would go for the Nikon 70-200mm f4 instead of the 80-200mm. It's lighter, sharper, has VR, and is an excellent lens.

Kent in SD

Aug 18, 2017 at 04:47 PM
Bohemien
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · your thoughts on this modestly prices trio of lenses?

The 18-35mm G is a great ultra-wide lens, lightweight, reasonably sharp and with good image quality. However, you have the overlap with the 24-120, so you could consider getting the 20mm f/1.8 instead, which is in the same price range as the zoom but should give you even better IQ for those ultrawide shots.

Markus

Aug 18, 2017 at 05:47 PM
walts.photo
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · your thoughts on this modestly prices trio of lenses?

I'll second the 18-35, good value for ultrawide.

If you like the 24-120, maybe stick with it until you know which focal lengths you like the most.

The 70-200 f4 is really sharp. Might spoil you.

My pick of value zooms for the D750 is: 18-35, 24-85, and 70-200 f4.

Aug 19, 2017 at 05:11 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.