FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

5D Mark IV - Exposure

Leonberger

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D Mark IV - Exposure

Good afternoon guys,

Any of you shooting with the 5D Mark IV notice, especially during night/dancing shots at the reception that the images appear properly exposed in camera but when taken into post they require a 1 stop push brighter in post?

I just got back from a wedding, on the dance floor shooting and chimping, shots look great. get home and they are underexposed... am I missing a setting?

Thanks guys.

Aug 18, 2017 at 12:47 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D Mark IV - Exposure

Are you using a preset?

Are you adjusting the WB in post by any significant amount?

Aug 18, 2017 at 12:49 PM
Leonberger

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D Mark IV - Exposure

Thank you very much for your response!

I am using Mastin Labs Kodak as a base. Auto WB - White balance Priority as my white balance.

Aug 18, 2017 at 01:11 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D Mark IV - Exposure

A couple of things:

Your camera screen is most likely too bright to gauge a proper exposure off of it.

Your skin tones using AWB are most likely really orange if you're using flash during the reception. Orange color casts will look correctly exposed, but they're not

Mastin presets need to be shot a little hot

Aug 18, 2017 at 01:28 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D Mark IV - Exposure

Nope .. the 5Dmkiv i find to be pretty dead on for WB.
AWB set for white option. (check your camera for this)

The exposure meter for me is dead on center for exposure or drop 1/3. Shoot more like a nikon camera.
As compared to the 5dmkiii where i push 1/3-2/3 for both of mine.

Color cast from flashes will differ from what units you run with.
I tend to run under with cheetahstand lights. this would be for both 5Dmkiii & the IV.

Agree on the back screen ... mine are set to manual.... and then I am chipping the histogram.

mark

Aug 18, 2017 at 02:13 PM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5D Mark IV - Exposure

In dark environments I will often set the LCD brightness to auto and maybe reduce the brightness offset. Otherwise, overly bright images will fool you to thinking that the exposure is good.

But as others have recommended, also using the histogram can help here.

Aug 20, 2017 at 06:18 AM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5D Mark IV - Exposure

Set jpg profile to faithful and judge by the histogram instead.

Also, the penalty for exposure errors on the 5D4 is much smaller compared to 5D3 anyway.

Aug 20, 2017 at 02:46 PM
InSanE
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5D Mark IV - Exposure

Use histogram or use a Nikon.

Aug 20, 2017 at 04:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5D Mark IV - Exposure

Honestly it is not that big of an issue.
The key is just knowing how your screen on the camera relates to the screen on your machine.
I have a few shooters who are always about a stop over exposed on my end because their screen on the camera shows the shot darker than on the computer screen.

Setting a custom WB can help dial in the exposure but really just knowing how the camera relates to the computer screen is the main thing.

Aug 20, 2017 at 06:23 PM
level1photog
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5D Mark IV - Exposure

Ziffl3 wrote:
Nope .. the 5Dmkiv i find to be pretty dead on for WB.
AWB set for white option. (check your camera for this)

The exposure meter for me is dead on center for exposure or drop 1/3. Shoot more like a nikon camera.
As compared to the 5dmkiii where i push 1/3-2/3 for both of mine.

Color cast from flashes will differ from what units you run with.
I tend to run under with cheetahstand lights. this would be for both 5Dmkiii & the IV.

Agree on the back screen ... mine are set to manual.... and then I am chipping the histogram.

mark

I find the WB on 5D Mark IV is a little off. Another 5D IV user also confirmed this. Although I've heard from forums members that's 5D IV is pretty accurate. hmm

Aug 20, 2017 at 10:08 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5D Mark IV - Exposure

level1photog wrote:
I find the WB on 5D Mark IV is a little off. Another 5D IV user also confirmed this. Although I've heard from forums members that's 5D IV is pretty accurate. hmm

WB and how we humans interpret color can create differences.

Besides the camera recording/determining it + file playback through a calibrated system with a good monitor + lastly how we interpret what we see. Lots of places for variations.

In the end... as long as we can correct our cameras... or tools/equipment to something we like ... it is all good.

Just another thought.... what if the previous cameras where off and the 5DmkIV is accurate.

back to editing.... Later.

Mark

Aug 20, 2017 at 10:42 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5D Mark IV - Exposure

Yup. You should be using the histogram, not the image.

Aug 20, 2017 at 11:47 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5D Mark IV - Exposure

I find not trusting the 5D4 Av/Tv/AutoISO exposure can lead to troubles. I'm afraid to even go -2/3 with dark suits like I did with every other Canon camera. YMMV.

Aug 21, 2017 at 06:59 PM
ZachOly
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5D Mark IV - Exposure

LeeSimms wrote:
I find not trusting the 5D4 Av/Tv/AutoISO exposure can lead to troubles. I'm afraid to even go -2/3 with dark suits like I did with every other Canon camera. YMMV.

I dunno.

When in AV, I find when I go from the girls (usually lighter colored dresses) to the guys (dark suits) the camera almost always ends up with the guys being a stop over exposed.

And it almost always underexposes by 1-2 stops if there's a lot of sky in the scene, too.

After 5 months with the camera, it's no better at auto exposure than my 5D3, but pretty bang on with AWB-W

Aug 21, 2017 at 09:01 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5D Mark IV - Exposure

Hmmm. We have three and they've been spot on with everything but Tamron lenses (which often are 1 stop under).

I might have it visit the Canon bench for a look see.

Aug 22, 2017 at 04:41 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 5D Mark IV - Exposure

if there is a large amount of sky in a scene.... why wouldn't the camera try to bring the sky down?

my 2 cents....In the auto modes P, AV, TV ... it is about learning where to take your meter reading and lock it in.
Or use exposure comp.

-Mark

Aug 22, 2017 at 04:51 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password