FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2017 · 80D vs 5DII for landscape

dnadrifter
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 80D vs 5DII for landscape

Hi All,

I have a 40D and 5DII and am considering picking up an 80D for something with a little better focus for sporadic kid shots, kids sports, and in the boat for family water skiing/wake boarding/tubing. (been using the 40D for the boat with a 70-200)

Lenses aside, if you had to choose between a 80D and 5DII for landscape stuff, which would you choose. Am I going to find my 5DII never gets used?

Aug 17, 2017 at 11:41 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 80D vs 5DII for landscape

I own both the 80D and the 5D2 and choice really depends on what you plan to do with the images. if you're mainly uploading to FB and making small prints, the choice doesn't matter in terms of IQ. If better AF is what you need to capture an image, well the 80D whips the 5D2 good. Movie servo for video? 80D is killer. Although I use my 80D more since it's glued to a tripod for music videos, I still love shooting stills on the 5D2, especially with the EF 35 2.0 IS USM and 50 1.2L USM. Those lenses just ain't any good on the 80D—too narrow—and the 5D still has an edge in low light IQ (not to mention a bigger and brighter VF). While the 80D is excellent at high ISO for a cropper, the shadows and clouds are a mushy blur past ISO 1600 while the 5D2 still has another stop over it.

Aug 18, 2017 at 01:38 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 80D vs 5DII for landscape

I agree, except you need to get the exposure spot on with the 5D2, it's a great camera but has a rather unforgiving sensor if you need to mess with the files.

Aug 18, 2017 at 01:44 AM
Milan Hutera
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 80D vs 5DII for landscape

Why not consolidate into a 5D3? It has much better AF than your current cameras, the sensor is a little better than 5D2 and should give you less problems with "stopping down" for landscapes than a high density crop sensor.

Obviously you can still take very fine landscape shots with 80D. From your profile, you have the UWA needs covered with 10-22, it has a good AF and it has a bit better IQ at base ISO compared to older cameras.

Aug 18, 2017 at 04:28 AM
Tmuussoni
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 80D vs 5DII for landscape

Milan Hutera wrote:
Why not consolidate into a 5D3? It has much better AF than your current cameras, the sensor is a little better than 5D2 and should give you less problems with "stopping down" for landscapes than a high density crop sensor.

Obviously you can still take very fine landscape shots with 80D. From your profile, you have the UWA needs covered with 10-22, it has a good AF and it has a bit better IQ at base ISO compared to older cameras.

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III-versus-Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-II___795_483

For landscape uses, 5D III doesn't show any improvement over 5D mark II. From ISO 100-1600 it actually performs worse in terms of dynamic range, than 5D mark II! Obviously, it's autofocus is much improved. But if landscapes are preferred, I am not sure if it's worth it. Shooting sporadic kid shots, then absolutely 5D III makes big difference.

Aug 18, 2017 at 04:41 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 80D vs 5DII for landscape

Main reason to go full-frame for landscapes: great wide lenses are inexpensive.

Main reason to go crop for landscapes: pretty good wide lenses are even less expensive and both smaller and lighter, but there are no really 'great' wide lenses, optically speaking*. Up to web usage and small prints, no one would know the difference in terms of optics.

And the 80D will wipe the floor with the 5D II's primitive AF system when it comes to things that move as said above.

[*consider the 16-35/4L IS as best in class and unexcelled by lenses in smaller formats; also consider the Tamron 15-30/2.8 VC similarly]

Aug 18, 2017 at 04:57 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 80D vs 5DII for landscape

The 80D below ISO 800 will also whip the 5D2 in dynamic range (by nearly 1 stop), which is very useful for landscapes. Pushing those shadows at those lower ISOs will have less electronically induced noise on the 80D than the 5D2. At ISOs greater than 800, the 5D2 takes back the crown. The trick is to find that one good lens for the landscape shots being taken. UWA are nice, but there are some stunning landscape shots taken with longish lenses too.

That all being said, it will most likely be the 40D that is left for dead once you get the 80D. I cannot think of a single reason to use a 40D over an 80D, unless I was taking gear into a very questionable area of potentially high theft.

Aug 18, 2017 at 05:02 AM
howard
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 80D vs 5DII for landscape

The problem is with the lenses. Canon's APS-C lenses are not so good (I've used 10-18, 17-55 f/2.9, 18-135), especially wide angles.

Aug 18, 2017 at 09:47 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 80D vs 5DII for landscape

I have had a 10-18 that was very good, and quite a few 17-55s, most were excellent. The latest kit lenses are sharper in the corners than some of the L glass. There are some very good 3rd party glass too. I was pretty sure the Tokina 16-28 and Tamron 15-30 received tremendous reviews.

Other related posts for APSC landscapes:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/716954
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/Canon-Wide-Angle-Lens.aspx
https://www.google.com/search?biw=1254&bih=728&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=17-55mm+landscape+canon&oq=17-55mm+landscape+canon&gs_l=psy-ab.3...3299.3433.0.4684.2.2.0.0.0.0.50.97.2.2.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0._92ssIEeOf0#imgrc=_

Aug 18, 2017 at 10:28 AM
Milan Hutera
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 80D vs 5DII for landscape

Tmuussoni wrote:
https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III-versus-Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-II___795_483

For landscape uses, 5D III doesn't show any improvement over 5D mark II. From ISO 100-1600 it actually performs worse in terms of dynamic range, than 5D mark II! Obviously, it's autofocus is much improved. But if landscapes are preferred, I am not sure if it's worth it. Shooting sporadic kid shots, then absolutely 5D III makes big difference.

I'm guessing the news didn't reach Richard Bernabe and Ian Plant (among many others), who until recently, were shooting landscapes and wildlife on 5D3...

https://www.richardbernabe.com/

http://ianplant.photoshelter.com/index

Aug 18, 2017 at 10:35 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 80D vs 5DII for landscape

The 80D has a sensor with less than half the area of the 5DII but with nearly the same resolution. This means lenses on the 80D need to be 2.25x as sharp per area/mm as projected onto the sensor to match the resolving power of the equivalent lens on FF. It rarely happens. If landscapes are going to make up the bulk of your planned shooting then go with the 5DII or a 6D.

Aug 18, 2017 at 10:57 AM
howard
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 80D vs 5DII for landscape

TeamSpeed wrote:
I have had a 10-18 that was very good, and quite a few 17-55s, most were excellent. The latest kit lenses are sharper in the corners than some of the L glass. There are some very good 3rd party glass too. I was pretty sure the Tokina 16-28 and Tamron 15-30 received tremendous reviews.

Other related posts for APSC landscapes:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/716954
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/Canon-Wide-Angle-Lens.aspx
https://www.google.com/search?biw=1254&bih=728&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=17-55mm+landscape+canon&oq=17-55mm+landscape+canon&gs_l=psy-ab.3...3299.3433.0.4684.2.2.0.0.0.0.50.97.2.2.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0._92ssIEeOf0#imgrc=_

OK, if you think these are excellent (which I do not doubt), more power to you.

The 10-18 is pretty good, but prone to CA and flares, it is nowhere near L quality on FF. FF sensors also have less pixel density, hence more forgiving. I tried 2 copies of the 17-55 (and kept one), it is not as good as the 24-70 f/4 L in terms of IQ.

No experience with the 3rd party lenses though.

Aug 18, 2017 at 10:58 AM
Tmuussoni
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 80D vs 5DII for landscape

Milan Hutera wrote:
I'm guessing the news didn't reach Richard Bernabe and Ian Plant (among many others), who until recently, were shooting landscapes and wildlife on 5D3...

https://www.richardbernabe.com/

http://ianplant.photoshelter.com/index

No need to take it so personally! I never said 5D III is not capable of fantastic results! Of course it is. It just seems that we were talking about landscapes, and as such, dynamic range is kind important parameter, at least to me! There is no denying that 5D mark IV made some nice improvements (finally) in dynamic range over both 5D mark III and 5D mark II. That is why I offered my opinion that perhaps 5D mark III might not be worth the additional investment over 5D mark II, if Landscapes are what OP likes. But that's just my opinion!

Aug 18, 2017 at 11:22 AM
Spikey131
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 80D vs 5DII for landscape

You should also consider the (already hated) 6D2.

It is basically a full frame 80D.

Aug 18, 2017 at 11:31 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 80D vs 5DII for landscape

If the funds allow, the 5D4 is the ultimate non-1DX option right now now. It beats out the 5D2, 5D3, 6D and 6D4 for this kind of shooting. Somebody just listed a lightly used one over on POTN for $2800.

Aug 18, 2017 at 11:32 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 80D vs 5DII for landscape

Spikey131 wrote:
You should also consider the (already hated) 6D2.

It is basically a full frame 80D.

Only from a form/function standpoint, not from a sensor standpoint, at least not below ISO 800. The 6D2 DR for landscapes is about the same as the 5D2.

Aug 18, 2017 at 11:33 AM
Milan Hutera
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 80D vs 5DII for landscape

Tmuussoni wrote:
No need to take it so personally! I never said 5D III is not capable of fantastic results! Of course it is. It just seems that we were talking about landscapes, and as such, dynamic range is kind important parameter, at least to me! There is no denying that 5D mark IV made some nice improvements (finally) in dynamic range over both 5D mark III and 5D mark II. That is why I offered my opinion that perhaps 5D mark III might not be worth the additional investment over 5D mark II, if Landscapes are what OP likes. But that's
...Show more

Not taking it personally at all, but to argue that 5D3 is worse than 5D2 and after clicking on the link I found out that it's worse by 0.2 stops - zero point two stops - (basically a margin of error) it's quite something... Not to mention the questionable nature of the numbers.

5D3 was widely adopted by agencies as the great all around small-ish camera and was used quite a lot at sporting events as well. So unless the OP absolutely needs two bodies for his work (unlikely), why not sell the 40D for peanuts and 5D2 for peanuts and get the one nice all arounder that will satisfy his every need? Again, the difference, if there is actually any, is 0.2 stops.

Aug 18, 2017 at 11:55 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 80D vs 5DII for landscape

Based on what was called out in the original post, and if the only 2 choices were an 80D or a 5D2, the 80D would have to be my choice, due to a better low ISO DR, better out of camera JPG, better AF system, and a host of other features and pixel density/"reach".

Other than the differences in FOV and DOF, there is little that the 5D2 offers to the party given all the different things to be shot, provided you put appropriate glass on the 80D for landscapes.

Another interesting option: 6D (original) and an SL2, for the cost of a 5D2. 6D is better than the 5D2, and the SL2 is going to have better low ISO DR. The 6D center AF should be better than the 5D2, but off center points not really that much better from what I remember and what I have read. $1400 can net you a baby 80D AND a well-respected FF.

If the 5D3 or 5D4 are options, then my suggestions might change a bit.

Aug 18, 2017 at 12:27 PM
Spikey131
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 80D vs 5DII for landscape

TeamSpeed wrote:
Only from a form/function standpoint, not from a sensor standpoint, at least not below ISO 800. The 6D2 DR for landscapes is about the same as the 5D2.

Told you it was hated.

There are many benefits to the FF sensor of the 6D2 to make it superior to the 80D.

The world doesn't spin on DR.

Aug 18, 2017 at 01:26 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 80D vs 5DII for landscape

I own or have owned all the numbered 5Ds, the 40D and the 80D. All are fine cameras and capable of taking a wonderful landscape image. The more critical decision really are the lenses, the OP's "lenses aside" notwithstanding. You are not going to get the same results with a 10-18 on crop that you would with a 16-35 f4 on FF. The 24-105 offers better IQ than the 15-85. The 10-18 may be good enough - I carry it when I'm weight limited and am pleased with the images I have from it but I'd rather use my L lenses on FF if I can.

I agree with Milan, the 5D3 is a wonderful workhorse camera. I have found its IQ improved over the 5D2 which was great IMHO. The files are a bit more malleable and it handles difficult lighting better. I'm sure my 5D4 is better still but so far its the resolution and dual pixel/touch screen features that are most apparent. My advice for those who are serious about photography and want to use Canon is to start with the most recent 5D you can afford and collect a set of f4 L zooms (which includes the 100-400). A 5D2 + 24-105 L is a great place to start and will yield wonderful images. These all look rich and detailed on my 27" 5K display.

Aug 18, 2017 at 01:36 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.