Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Smokey Mountains - Townsend or Bryson City, NC?

Jeff Rogers

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Smokey Mountains - Townsend or Bryson City, NC?

I have not been to the Smokeys in a while but wish to do the usual sunrise and sunsets from Clingman's Dome, etc. Is it better to stay in Townsend (quiet side of the Smokeys) or in Bryson City, NC? We will be spending a few nights. Thanks for any input.

Aug 18, 2017 at 02:52 AM
CreationBear

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Smokey Mountains - Townsend or Bryson City, NC?

You can't really go wrong with either destination, but getting to Clingman's Dome will be marginally more convenient from Bryson City--from Townsend you have about 18 miles of windy road to the Sugarlands Visitor Center, then a few miles up the hill to Newfound Gap. (From Bryson City, it's about the same distance, but you'll make better time on Hwy. 74 back through Cherokee to 441--of course you'll miss the great streamside views of Little River on the Tennessee side.)

At any rate, I think the difference is marginal enough to let proximity to other attractions be your main criterion; e.g. Townsend is convenient to Cades Cove, Bryson City is a bit better for Cataloochee, etc. Let us know if you need any more specific info--some of us live pretty close to the Park.

Aug 18, 2017 at 01:05 PM
Jeff Rogers

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Smokey Mountains - Townsend or Bryson City, NC?

Thanks! Is that Tennessee orange color any prettier in October?

Aug 18, 2017 at 01:39 PM
CreationBear

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Smokey Mountains - Townsend or Bryson City, NC?

Of course, it's not unknown for Calipari's crew to have worn orange both before and after the year they were enrolled there in Lexington....

Aug 18, 2017 at 03:57 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Smokey Mountains - Townsend or Bryson City, NC?

I'd stay near Townsend. Living on the NC side, I wish Cades Cove was closer. If you get an early start up to Clingmans Dome the traffic will be fine.

Aug 20, 2017 at 08:59 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password