Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6       end

FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

k-h.a.w
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

Fred Miranda wrote:
@k-h.a.w
Were you able to test eyeAF on it?

How is focusing performance on the A9 towards the outer zone?
I find that TAP's AF on the A7RII is only great when staying close to the center area. Is that the same on the A9?

Yes Fred, Eye-AF works with the TAP on my A9 and an actual human face, not just with an image on a screen.

To answer your last question, I would say yes.
I have not done extensive systematic testing towards the outer zones because the results I get are discouraging.
So, the same as with my A7rII, I only use the central focus area with my A9. YMMV.
Unless autofocus is pretty snappy, I don't find it useful and give up easily.

Also, when stopping down in poorly lit areas, my A9 eventually will fail to AF with the TAP.
Using ISO 100 on a tripod, it could handle f/4 and 5s but failed at f/5.6 and 10s.

K-H.

Oct 03, 2017 at 05:12 PM
JohnDizzo15
• •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

k-h.a.w wrote:
Yes Fred, Eye-AF works with the TAP on my A9 and an actual human face, not just with an image on a screen.

To answer your last question, I would say yes.
I have not done extensive systematic testing towards the outer zones because the results I get are discouraging.
So, the same as with my A7rII, I only use the central focus area with my A9. YMMV.
Unless autofocus is pretty snappy, I don't find it useful and give up easily.

Also, when stopping down in poorly lit areas, my A9 eventually will fail to AF with the TAP.
Using ISO 100 on a
...Show more
That is odd re the central focus area issue with the A9. Your post above prompted me to pull mine out to test again just now and in decent light (inside my office 50mm @1.7, 1/125th, ISO 200). AF in single point was snappy and worked all the way out to the furthest points along the edges. Eye-AF also worked pretty well all the way out to the furthest points.

Wondering what the causes in varying performance are. I actually ordered a second one from that BH deal (like GMPhotography-deal was too hard to ignore) and will see how that one fares compared to the one I have already.

Oct 03, 2017 at 05:29 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

JohnDizzo15 wrote:
That is odd re the central focus area issue with the A9. Your post above prompted me to pull mine out to test again just now and in decent light (inside my office 50mm @1.7, 1/125th, ISO 200). AF in single point was snappy and worked all the way out to the furthest points along the edges. Eye-AF also worked pretty well all the way out to the furthest points.

Wondering what the causes in varying performance are. I actually ordered a second one from that BH deal (like GMPhotography-deal was too hard to ignore) and will see how that
...Show more

Thanks John, I hear you. I will do some more testing, this time in plenty of light, i.e. NM sunshine and report back.

K-H.

Oct 03, 2017 at 05:59 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

JohnDizzo15 wrote:

Wondering what the causes in varying performance are. I actually ordered a second one from that BH deal (like GMPhotography-deal was too hard to ignore) and will see how that
...Show more

Thanks again John for your post.
I used the last few hours to check out a total of 5 lenses and 2 TAPs on my A9.
The lenses are Noct-NIKKOR 58/1.2, Summicron-M 50/2, APO Summicron-M 75/2 ASPH., Elmarit-M 90/2.8, and Vario-Elmar-R 35-70/4.

Here is what I found: The TAP AF behavior depends on available light, the lens' optical properties and the focus area; lens center, in-between areas, sides, corners.

• The Noct-NIKKOR 58/1.2 is WO only sharp in the center, but not further out.
So I could only focus it reliably fast near the center in enough light.
Stopping down improves sharpness but reduces light levels.

• The Summicron-M 50/2 and APO Summicron-M 75/2 ASPH. could be focused well further out, including the sides, but corner focus had difficulties.
Also when focus isn't at the center, the A9 and TAP can exhibit weird behavior much more easily than otherwise.

• The Elmarit-M 90/2.8 seems to show more focusing problems at the sides and especially the corners.

• The Vario-Elmar-R 35-70/4 seemed focus-wise positioned between the Elmarit-M 90/2.8 and the Noct-NIKKOR 58/1.2.

I also observed weird behavior of A9 buttons and the menu when the focus point was positioned along the sides or in the corners and the TAP had failed to focus.
Pushing a button wouldn't reliably initiate the associated action. I probably left out some weird behavior even when focus is left in the center.
Shooting a bunch of images, especially in fairly rapid succession eventually will lead to weird behavior or hang the A9.

In conclusion, I feel comfortable using the TAP on A9 with central focusing point and some occasional glitches. My 2 cents.

K-H.

Edited on Oct 03, 2017 at 09:59 PM · View previous versions

Oct 03, 2017 at 09:56 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

Very interesting. Thanks for testing it

Oct 03, 2017 at 09:58 PM
JohnDizzo15
• •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

k-h.a.w wrote:
Thanks again John for your post.
I used the last few hours to check out a total of 5 lenses and 2 TAPs on my A9.
The lenses are Noct-NIKKOR 58/1.2, Summicron-M 50/2, APO Summicron-M 75/2 ASPH., Elmarit-M 90/2.8, and Vario-Elmar-R 35-70/4.

Here is what I found: The TAP AF behavior depends on available light, the lens' optical properties and the focus area; lens center, in-between areas, sides, corners.

• The Noct-NIKKOR 58/1.2 is WO only sharp in the center, but not further out.
So I could only focus it reliably fast near the center in enough light.
Stopping down improves sharpness but
...Show more
I too have noticed said hanging when I am shooting in continuous drive mode. Kind of freezes up/blacks out and then fixes itself after the momentary glitching.

Your findings basically confirm some of my suspicions. I do recall having more trouble when light got less than ideal, especially when moving toward the edges. In decent to good light though, I have had very good performance out to the edges with a Zenitar ME-1 50mm f/1.7. I found that when I stopped down (even at f/4), it would struggle a bit when indoors.

Edit: Just quickly mounted the helios 44m-4, Mamiya Sekor 55/1.4, and Porst Color Macro 50/1.7 and found that the best performers were the Porst and the two-bladed Zenitar. This makes sense and aligns with your findings in that those two lenses are sharper away from center than the other two. The helios is able to acquire focus at the edges, but not without a struggle. The Mamiya barely does it and doesn't appear to be very accurate even when it does.

Oct 03, 2017 at 10:58 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

JohnDizzo15 wrote:
I too have noticed said hanging when I am shooting in continuous drive mode. Kind of freezes up/blacks out and then fixes itself after the momentary glitching.

Your findings basically confirm some of my suspicions. I do recall having more trouble when light got less than ideal, especially when moving toward the edges. In decent to good light though, I have had very good performance out to the edges with a Zenitar ME-1 50mm f/1.7. I found that when I stopped down (even at f/4), it would struggle a bit when indoors.

Edit: Just quickly mounted the helios 44m-4, Mamiya Sekor 55/1.4,
...Show more

Many thanks John. I do believe our two systems with a number of different quality lenses behave very similarly. There seems to be a lot in the firmware that needs fixing.
I nevertheless find the TAP on A9 or even on A7rII very useful.
But I certainly hope Techart Pro gets back to improving their product soon.

Thanks again, Karl-Heinz.

PS: Quote: Kind of freezes up/blacks out and then fixes itself after the momentary glitching.

Thanks John for this vey concise description of what I observe as well.

When the system is in this loop it seems to be inactive for a few moments, then goes back and forth to infinity and closest focus and passes right by the correct focus point. Then the pattern repeats itself.

I also noticed when the focus point is, say in a corner, and doesn't successfully focus, pushing the joystick doesn't return the focus point to the center. However, pushing the Fn button, located between the wheel and the joystick brings up the 12 panel menu. One then can set the focus point back tp the center in the focus panel and center focus fine as usual.

I also noticed sometimes one can display the Menu on the LCD but not in the EVF. Problem for me is, I can see the information in the EVF just fine without glasses, but not the info on the LCD. At other times pushing the Menu button doesn't display the Menu on the LCD either. However, then displaying an image first lets one bring up the Menu on the LCD.

Oct 03, 2017 at 11:21 PM
JohnDizzo15
• •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

k-h.a.w wrote:
Many thanks John. I do believe our two systems with a number of different quality lenses behave very similarly. There seems to be a lot in the firmware that needs fixing.
I nevertheless find the TAP on A9 or even on A7rII very useful.
But I certainly hope Techart Pro gets back to improving their product soon.

Thanks again, Karl-Heinz.

PS: Quote: Kind of freezes up/blacks out and then fixes itself after the momentary glitching.

Thanks John for this vey concise description of what I observe as well.

When the system is in this loop it seems to be inactive for a few moments, then
...Show more

The new copy of the Techart just arrived. They are marked differently from each other. The one I purchased from Amazon has the letters "C.S.P." printed on the bottom and the one that just arrived from BH just states "PRO."

Not exhibiting any blackout/glitching issues in continuous mode currently with the new copy from BH.

Tested the other issues mentioned with the focus point. Pressing the joystick returns my focus point to center and it is also achieving focus perfectly (in my office again) in the corners to include finding the eye.

I haven't been able to replicate the menu display issue with either copy of the adapter yet. Will report further findings if there are any. I am probably putting the one from Amazon back in the mailbox today though.

Oct 04, 2017 at 09:03 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

Thanks John. Could you please post an image of "the one that just arrived from BH just states "PRO."

K-H.

PS: Thanks John for sending me the image. My TAP adapters all show “PRO’ at the bottom.

Edited on Oct 05, 2017 at 01:42 PM · View previous versions

Oct 05, 2017 at 04:37 AM
Entropy512

p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

The behavior of some lenses playing better with outer focusing points than others is not a surprise - this affects all adapters using legacy adapter emulation, or any adapter that only does partial native emulation. Only the Sigma MC-11 with a "compatible" lens attached (or a full-blown native lens) reports whatever correction/optical profile information the body expects from a native lens to correct for whatever the cause of errors is here.

This is why some older native lenses and most native-emulation adapters (such as the Sigma APS-C trio, Metabones advanced mode from 0.50 to 0.55, and the new Viltrox IV in "CDAF" mode which is actually native emulation) cause the body to disable all but the center PDAF points.

Oct 05, 2017 at 11:07 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

Did anyone buy this Fotodiox adapter or it's a total fail for members here?

Oct 06, 2017 at 04:09 AM
Bill Hollinger
• • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

TechArt AF adapter on an A9 with a Leica 90mm f2.8 at f4.0, ISO2000 - I’ve tried the 28f2.8, 28 f2.0, 50 f1.0, 50 f1.4 ASPH, APO 75 f2.0 90 f2.8 and 135 f3.4 so far - all very briefly. I have not tried the 35 f1.4 or the 90 f2.0. I think heavier lenses are supposed to cause issues with this adapter. If the camera is set to AFC the focus jerks back and forth, but works well on AFS. The 135mm f3.4 seems pretty sensitive about where the lens is set on the focus scale. The 50mm and the 75mm work really well - one of them even eye focused on the dog (my 75 yo wife is not a willing victim when it comes to testing camera lenses). One of these, the 50 f1.4 or 70 f2.0 quickly focuses even with the focus point in the corner of the frame,

Oct 07, 2017 at 01:40 AM
k-h.a.w
• • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

Hi Bill, thumbs up for Eye-AF! Nice dog!

K-H.

Oct 07, 2017 at 04:28 AM
pdmphoto
• • • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

Received my TechArt from B&H today, finally. B&H included "Free expedited delivery", but then shipped it FedEx Ground from coast to coast. Worse, they didn't require signature on delivery, and FedEx Ground delivered it to the wrong address (not just the street address, but also the wrong street!) Fortunately, my neighbor contacted me and had me pick it up from him directly.

Mine is marked "Pro" and works great on my Olympus OM 50/1.2. Flexible spot works great, into the corners of the AF area, at wide open on my A7RII. I forgot how much I love the Oly 50/1.2. It will be more used now. I sold my user copy, so I'm left shooting with my mint copy It's still pretty compact and not too heavy, especially for a 50/1.2 AF lens.

Oct 07, 2017 at 05:17 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

Wow guys! The Pronto is a clone down to the firmware version and updating software!

"Today we have new confirming evidence that Fotodiox's latest smart AF adapter is, in reality, a cosmetically altered doppelgänger of a TechArt Pro adapter, released nearly 18 months earlier.

While this has been suspected for some time, in my latest video I reveal that Fotodiox themselves may have been fooled with the totality of this unlicensed copy, as it even contains the Bluetooth chipset that allows its firmware to be updated- something Fotodiox denies is possible in its marketing materials."

Check this out:

Oct 07, 2017 at 02:51 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

Exactly what we thought and as a Pro that lives and dies by copyright laws to protect me than no way in hell would I buy the Pronto. That’s me though.

Oct 07, 2017 at 03:09 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

Thanks Fred. Very interesting.
Of course, I am sticking with Techart Pro.

K-H.

Oct 07, 2017 at 03:32 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

Here is the video section showing that the Fotodiox Pronto can be updated using TechArt Pro's own updating software!

Oct 07, 2017 at 03:36 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

Wow - I'd love to hear what Fotodiox has to say about all this. I'm with Techart too . . . and there's plenty of places to buy adapters.

Oct 07, 2017 at 04:33 PM
genji
• • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

GMPhotography wrote:
Exactly what we thought and as a Pro that lives and dies by copyright laws to protect me than no way in hell would I buy the Pronto. That’s me though.

+1

I won’t be buying any more Fotodipox products at all.

Oct 07, 2017 at 05:11 PM
       6       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

6       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password