Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       end

Archive 2017 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

chez
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

Steve Spencer wrote:
I don't think we really know whether the protocol that Sigma and others use is the same as the Canon original or not. I suspect it is different in a number of ways and that is why Canon can tweak it slightly and leave their old lens functioning and Sigma's lenses not functioning. In the world of software, stealing exact code is definitely a no-no, but developing new code that does the same thing in a different way is certainly ok. It isn't clear what Sigma is doing. Are they copying the protocol somehow or are they developing their
...Show more

The value is in the protocol, not the software that implements that protocol. It is the protocol that Sigma reverse engineers ( rips off ) and uses their own code to create this protocol. Much like Fotodiox ripped off the design and now manufacture ( code ) their own version. I really don't see the difference other than an adapter is visible, you can hold it whereas a protocol is invisible...yet both are very much designed and are property of the original designers.

Sep 21, 2017 at 08:54 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

GMPhotography wrote:
Chez it just smells bad don't you agree.

Yeh I do, but I also recognize Sigma also rips off some proprietary information when they design their lenses. Putting Sigma into some higher standing is just wrong...they are ripping off a proprietary protocol.

Sep 21, 2017 at 08:56 PM
arduluth
• • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

moffatross wrote:
M42 puts less strain on the TAP when changing lenses due of course to it being a screw, not bayonet fitting.

Could you elaborate on this? I'm not sure how a screw mount would lead to less strain on the adapter, or how a bayonet mount would cause any extra strain.

Sep 21, 2017 at 09:18 PM
moffatross

p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

If you're chopping & changing between say a Helios and a Zeiss Jena with an M42->LM adapter on board, the only strain is a rotational (torsional) one as you rotate the screw. But chopping and changing between say two Minolta Rokkors with a Minolta MC/MD-> Leica M on board, there's a rotational strain and a latitudinal strain as you release the bayonet.

Sep 22, 2017 at 01:26 AM
Entropy512

p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

Charlie N wrote:
it's not about reverse engineering, it's so similar to the techart, that it shares the same FLAW, power drain issue

That means nothing. Pretty much every cheap adapter on the market (such as every EF adapter other than Sigma and Metabones I've tried) has the exact same flaw. It's a result of not properly implementing Sony's lens power management mechanisms. Sony bodies keep the lens partially powered after the camera is powered down to reduce initialization time when the camera is powered back up. I believe the intent is that the lens is supposed to cut power to everything except the microcontroller itself, and keep that only powered enough to wait for an interrupt and not lose RAM contents. Lots of Chinese manufacturers probably just keep the microcontroller running at full power.

NOTE: You don't have to pull the camera's battery as a workaround. Unmounting/remounting the lens (only a fraction of a turn, enough to break the LENS_XDETECT connection) is all you need to cause the lens to remain depowered until the next time the camera is turned on.

---------------------------------------------

rscheffler wrote:
I thought Sony opened their E/FE lens protocol to third parties? But that wouldn't excuse a direct cloning of Techart's hardware and software by FotodioX, if that's indeed the case.

Everyone ignored the key word in Sony's 2011 announcement - "basic". Given the state of most third-party E-mount products SIX years later, including Metabones' explicit statement that they received no assistance from Sony despite being the most qualified for Sony's 2011 program, indicates that "basic" isn't enough to make an AF lens. It likely only contains mechanical specifications.

Sep 22, 2017 at 08:27 AM
Michael Gordon
• • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

Curiously the fotodioX adapter is listed as "compatible with 5 axis image stabilization." That does not seem likely as there is no apparent mechanism to report focusing distance to the cam. Early on TAP reported a similar capability but later changed that to 3 axis.

https://fotodioxpro.com/products/lm-snye-pronto

Sep 22, 2017 at 08:59 PM
RobertoC

p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

Hi,

I bought LM-EA7directly from Techart site on September 12th 2016. It was functioning until end of july when suddenly stopped. As the site states One Year Warranty, I asked through the contact page (http://techartpro.com/contact-us/) several times but no answer. The site doesn't mention an address to send it back. Where can I send to have it replaced?

Regards,

Sep 23, 2017 at 06:26 AM
genji
• • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

Michael Gordon wrote:
Curiously the fotodioX adapter is listed as "compatible with 5 axis image stabilization." That does not seem likely as there is no apparent mechanism to report focusing distance to the cam. Early on TAP reported a similar capability but later changed that to 3 axis.

https://fotodioxpro.com/products/lm-snye-pronto

No doubt as soon as they realize that Techart changed the compatibility to 3 axis image stabilization, Fotodiox will do the same. After all, they've copied everything else (except the ability to update the adapter firmware).

Sep 23, 2017 at 06:54 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

genji wrote:
No doubt as soon as they realize that Techart changed the compatibility to 3 axis image stabilization, Fotodiox will do the same. After all, they've copied everything else (except the ability to update the adapter firmware).

And once they start getting adapters back due to wobbling (from using heavy lenses on it), they will probably change the max. weight specs as well.

Sep 23, 2017 at 10:06 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

Is there irrefutable proof that the Fotodiox is a clone?

Sep 23, 2017 at 08:27 PM
Jonathan F
• • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

Techart has supported several firmware updates and each one has been progressively better. I'd rather buy a used TAP as opposed to supporting Fotodiox.

Sep 27, 2017 at 11:48 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

sirimiri wrote:
Is there irrefutable proof that the Fotodiox is a clone?

It's all circumstantial evidence! So, the answer is no.

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:21 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, K.-H.A.W. is reporting that with the latest A9 firmware he now has EyeAF with his TAP.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1509357/1#lastmessage

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:25 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

Jeff Kott wrote:
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, K.-H.A.W. is reporting that with the latest A9 firmware he now has EyeAF with his TAP.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1509357/1#lastmessage

Thanks. Yup, a number of folks are reporting that on FM and DPR.

K-H.

Sep 27, 2017 at 01:19 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

The TAP is $249 at B&H's "DealZone" 9/28. Act fast!

Sep 27, 2017 at 11:45 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

k-h.a.w wrote:
Thanks. Yup, a number of folks are reporting that on FM and DPR.

K-H.

@k-h.a.w
Were you able to test eyeAF on it?

How is focusing performance on the A9 towards the outer zone?
I find that TAP's AF on the A7RII is only great when staying close to the center area. Is that the same on the A9?

Oct 03, 2017 at 11:35 AM
JohnDizzo15
• • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

On my copy of the Techart, AF does work pretty well away from center on the A9 albeit slightly slower. But it still achieves focus with little to no hunting. Eye-AF is decent but not great. Definitely still usable on relatively compliant subjects but not the best for moving ones.

Oct 03, 2017 at 11:56 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

JohnDizzo15 wrote:
On my copy of the Techart, AF does work pretty well away from center on the A9 albeit slightly slower. But it still achieves focus with little to no hunting. Eye-AF is decent but not great. Definitely still usable on relatively compliant subjects but not the best for moving ones.

Thanks John mine comes Friday for my A9 and my CV 35mm 1.7 but I may return it or sell it to a member I got it for 249 new but I'm not sure I really need it. Ill try it Friday

Oct 03, 2017 at 12:02 PM
JohnDizzo15
• • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

Welcome, GM. It's quite a bargain at 249. I would definitely take some time to play with it though so that you can familiarize yourself with the manual focus distance settings on the lens and how they affect your focusing distance ranges with the adapter. This is definitely one of those concessions that need to be made/considered when using this thing at the outset. Once you get comfortable with that part, it is a pretty solidly performing tool.

Oct 03, 2017 at 12:08 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

Yea I have a modified CV 35 with Front filter which changes infinity so i hope i can even achieve it.

Oct 03, 2017 at 12:10 PM
1       2       3      
       5       6       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.