Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              5       6       end

FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

d-intrigue
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

techartpro wrote:
Thats a fake copy of our patented design. This company is famous for copying people's products without licensing.

In what countries is it patented?

Sep 19, 2017 at 04:31 AM
Buffalonian
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

Abomination.

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:10 AM
Buffalonian
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

techartpro wrote:
Thats a fake copy of our patented design. This company is famous for copying people's products without licensing.

Fake copy or not - it looks more refined like only the Chinese can do in manufacturing than your design. What's the patent number, btw? morbid curiosity - and no ...

I'm not trying to pick a fight.

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:16 AM
Jack Thompson
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

Arka wrote:
My TAP adapter does not have this problem. I've charged a battery to 100%, put the camera away, turned it on the next day, and seen 100%. And I never took the TechArt Pro adapter off.

The more I use the TAP, the more impressed I am with it. It doesn't feel reliable enough for paid work, but my keeper rate is on the rise. I think the incorporation of the full suite of Sony AF features would make the TechArt Pro (or perhaps this Fotodiox) a truly killer product.

Others may correct me if I'm wrong, but think its been established that TAP doesn't drain fully charged batteries when the camera is off. Makes it confusing. Once the charge goes down from 100%, that's when one sees the power drain, camera on and off. This is one of the things that made it challenging for me to use as a travel, street camera. Always remembering to pop the battery in and out to stop the drain, plus remembering to move the focus to infinity if I ended up having to focus closer for a particular shot. This coupled with poor performance with focus points moved to the corners of the frame make this thing the definition of finicky for me. I've had a good time with mine, and think it is a very cool innovation, but every time I shoot a native AF lens, I am reminded of how high maintenance TAP is. Fixing the battery drain issue would be a huge step in the right direction, as would fixing the wobble. I sent in a copy with really bad wobble and it appears the replacement was lost in the mail. Bummer.

Sep 19, 2017 at 06:54 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

Jack Thompson wrote:
Others may correct me if I'm wrong, but think its been established that TAP doesn't drain fully charged batteries when the camera is off. Makes it confusing. Once the charge goes down from 100%, that's when one sees the power drain, camera on and off. This is one of the things that made it challenging for me to use as a travel, street camera. Always remembering to pop the battery in and out to stop the drain, plus remembering to move the focus to infinity if I ended up having to focus closer for a particular shot. This coupled
...Show more

Yeap. If the camera is not fully charged, there will be drain when turning the camera off. The only reliable method to ensure zero drain is to remove the battery and re-insert it whenever turning the camera off for a while.

Someone at Fotodiox may be following our TAP threads because they wrote that info on the adapter page:
https://fotodioxpro.com/products/lm-snye-pronto

" The PRONTO adapter may slowly drain your camera battery even when the camera is turned off. To prevent this issue when the camera is not in use simply remove the battery briefly and insert it again."

Does that mean the Fotodiox Pronto is using the same exact TAP firmware? Is the Fotodiox firmware upgradable like TAP?

Sep 20, 2017 at 12:57 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

I've been using TAP for a while and will compare it to the new Fotodiox.

BTW, there's a new video from Fotodiox about their "Pronto" AF adapter:

Sep 21, 2017 at 04:23 PM
JohnDizzo15

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

Does anyone happen to have any experience stacking the m42 to LM adapter? If so, what are your findings and/or thoughts?

Sep 21, 2017 at 05:03 PM
moffatross

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

"Does anyone happen to have any experience stacking the m42 to LM adapter? If so, what are your findings and/or thoughts?"

I have M42, Pentax and Minolta adapters. M42 puts less strain on the TAP when changing lenses due of course to it being a screw, not bayonet fitting.

All these shots were AF with a TAP using variously, Minolta Rokkor 50 f/1.4, Rokkor 35 f/2,8 and Zeiss Jena 135 f/3.5 lenses.

http://www.rossofmoffat.com/albums/stranraer-oyster-festival/

Sep 21, 2017 at 05:35 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

Does the m Probto AF at the same speed as the TAP? I know it can hold more weight, but is the AF motor stronger?
I'd like to see a comprehensive comparison. Or at least some that's used both.

Sep 21, 2017 at 06:12 PM
MIRANDA1
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

moffatross wrote:
"Does anyone happen to have any experience stacking the m42 to LM adapter? If so, what are your findings and/or thoughts?"

I have M42, Pentax and Minolta adapters. M42 puts less strain on the TAP when changing lenses due of course to it being a screw, not bayonet fitting.

All these shots were AF with a TAP using variously, Minolta Rokkor 50 f/1.4, Rokkor 35 f/2,8 and Zeiss Jena 135 f/3.5 lenses.

http://www.rossofmoffat.com/albums/stranraer-oyster-festival/

I have a Zeiss Biotar 58mm M42 mount lens that I use with the TAP using a Fotodiox M42-LM adapter, works well, no issues.

Sep 21, 2017 at 07:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

moffatross

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

Yep, I suspect it's hard to find a problem M42-Leica M adapter. The flange diameter on M42 mount is relatively narrow so maker's clearance is unlikely to be an issue between adapter and TAP.

Sep 21, 2017 at 07:24 PM
JohnDizzo15

p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

Thank you all for the feedback. Trigger pulled on the Techart Pro along with the fotomix M42-LM adapter after doing a little more reading (the Q&A section of the Amazon product page being most helpful).

Fotodiox themselves stated on Amazon that firmware is not upgradeable. They also stated that based on their testing of both their own adapter and the Techart Pro that there was "no significant operational difference between the two adapters in real-world tests."

Amazon had the LM-EA7 II for $348 w/prime while the Pronto was $329 plus $3.99 for shipping. For $15 more, I think it was a no-brainer to go with the Techart which people have had hands-on time with already + the ability to upgrade FW.

Sep 21, 2017 at 07:41 PM
k-h.a.w
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

JohnDizzo15 wrote:
Thank you all for the feedback. Trigger pulled on the Techart Pro along with the fotomix M42-LM adapter after doing a little more reading (the Q&A section of the Amazon product page being most helpful).

Fotodiox themselves stated on Amazon that firmware is not upgradeable. They also stated that based on their testing of both their own adapter and the Techart Pro that there was "no significant operational difference between the two adapters in real-world tests."

Amazon had the LM-EA7 II for $348 w/prime while the Pronto was $329 plus $3.99 for shipping. For $15 more, I think it was a
...Show more

Thanks John. I find your post very interesting and hope that there soon will be another TAP FW update.

K-H.

Sep 21, 2017 at 07:50 PM
CBokeh
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

I wouldn't trust any Fotodiox "smart" adapter myself...

https://youtu.be/aUigxIxJjCI

https://youtu.be/4sYuRg9Jv_E

Sep 21, 2017 at 08:21 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

Here is the Q&A with Fotodiox (from Amazon.com)

Sep 21, 2017 at 08:37 PM
LBJ2
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

The good news for me is that my TechArt Pro is still going strong/just like new. I don't seem to have the flexing or loose mount problem Fred and others reported. TAP works equally well on both my A7r2 and A9. I use TAP to adapt the Voigt 35 F1.2 VII and Voigt 58 F1.4 w/ Nikon adapter.

Sep 21, 2017 at 08:40 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

Bothers me they are basically the same.

Sep 21, 2017 at 08:44 PM
Jack Thompson
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

If I was jumping in for the first time, it would mean something to me that I might be able to pick up the phone and reliably speak with someone in the US.

Sep 21, 2017 at 08:50 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

I actually canceled my order. I wanted to test them side-by-side but cannot support Fotodiox on this one. There is too much evidence/suspicion this is indeed a TAP clone.

Sep 21, 2017 at 08:52 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

'...famous for copying people's products without licensing.'

Oh.

Sep 21, 2017 at 08:56 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password