Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              5       6       end

FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

FotodioX PRONTO Leica M-Mount Lens to Sony E-Mount!
There is an alternative to TechArt Pro (TAP) in town. It's called "FotodioX PRONTO" and offer similar functionality while supporting lenses weighing up to 1.5 lb (680g).

Order FotodioX PRONTO today:

UPDATE: Link to this item was removed. There is compelling evidence this is a TechArt Pro clone and intellectually property was compromised.
See here:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1504638/4#14208015

From Fotodiox:
Transform your all-manual Leica M-mount lenses into fresh autofocus glass for your Sony mirrorless camera with the PRONTO Leica M-Mount Lens to Sony E-Mount Camera Autofocus Adapter from Fotodiox. Offering compatibility with the phase detection autofocus (PDAF) system on the a7 II, a7R II, a9, a6300, and a6500, this adapter has a mechanism to physically shift the lens position up to 4.5mm on the Z axis, enabling autofocus even on manual focus lenses. This adapter will support both AF-S and AF-C focusing modes and if the lens is set to its close-focus position, this adapter's extension can be used to get macro capabilities. In addition, users can adapt various lenses to the Leica M-mount, allowing you to gain AF with nearly any SLR lens.
  1. Leica M Lens to Sony E-Mount Camera
  2. Works with Full-Frame & APS-C Formats
  3. Supports a7 II, a7R II, a9, a6300, a6500
  4. Shifts Lens up to 4.5mm with Autofocus
  5. Supports PDAF with AF-S & AF-C Modes
  6. Improves Close Focusing Ability
  7. Ideal for 50mm and Wider Focal Lengths
  8. Compatible with 5-Axis Stabilization
  9. Drives Lenses Weighing up to 1.5 lb

Sep 18, 2017 at 04:58 PM
NateWeatherly

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

It looks very similar to the Techart Pro adapter, but is clearly not exactly the same. The description sounds very similar though too, even mentioning the same battery drain issue. Maybe Fotodiox licensed the product from Techart pro? I wonder if it includes any changes other than the brass mount and slightly different exterior details on the motor casing? I did notice that now the Techart Pro description on B&H says that the weight limit is 300grams (used to be 700) and the Fotodiox adapter states 600grams. Also that the Pro Pronto is priced at $329 while the Techart Pro is $379. Anyone have any experience with the Fotodiox yet??

Aug 17, 2017 at 11:08 PM
genji
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

NateWeatherly wrote:
It looks very similar to the Techart Pro adapter, but is clearly not exactly the same. The description sounds very similar though too, even mentioning the same battery drain issue. Maybe Fotodiox licensed the product from Techart pro? I wonder if it includes any changes other than the brass mount and slightly different exterior details on the motor casing? I did notice that now the Techart Pro description on B&H says that the weight limit is 300grams (used to be 700) and the Fotodiox adapter states 600grams. Also that the Pro Pronto is priced at $329 while the Techart Pro
...Show more

Interesting! My guess would be that Fotodiox has licensed the product. Impossible to say without opening one up but, apart from the brass mount and exterior cosmetic changes, I find it difficult to believe that it would be different internally. The stated maximum supported weight for the Fotodiox version is actually 680g, close to the 700g that is still specified on the Techart website. I wonder if B&H changed it to 300g as a way to reduce the likelihood of users experiencing the wobble?

Aug 17, 2017 at 11:40 PM
NateWeatherly

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

genji wrote:
Interesting! My guess would be that Fotodiox has licensed the product. Impossible to say without opening one up but, apart from the brass mount and exterior cosmetic changes, I find it difficult to believe that it would be different internally. The stated maximum supported weight for the Fotodiox version is actually 680g, close to the 700g that is still specified on the Techart website. I wonder if B&H changed it to 300g as a way to reduce the likelihood of users experiencing the wobble?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It looks like they just changed the mount and updated the front and back cover pieces for the motor case. Have to say that the brass mount WOULD be nice. It should be a lot smoother to mount and unmount lenses. As is, my Techart Pro tends to require a lot of effort to mount lenses and I'm sure that can't be good for the longterm stability of the unit either. Here's hoping that fotodiox has found a way to stabilize the mount as well.

Aug 17, 2017 at 11:49 PM
techartpro

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

Thats a fake copy of our patented design. This company is famous for copying people's products without licensing.

Sep 18, 2017 at 06:05 AM
genji
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

techartpro wrote:
Thats a fake copy of our patented design. This company is famous for copying people's products without licensing.

Thanks for the clarification, techartpro. I've added a note to the beginning of the FAQ, warning members that the Fotodiox Pro Pronto is a fake copy of your patented design.

Also, I notice that your website (techartpro.com) is functional again but the home page still says Under Construction, which is confusing.

Sep 18, 2017 at 06:53 AM
techartpro

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

We are revamping the website for the launch of a new item so its a bit unstable lately... Should be fine soon!

Thanks so much for putting together all the in information on the thread @genji !

Sep 18, 2017 at 12:03 PM
mortyb
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

techartpro wrote:
We are revamping the website for the launch of a new item so its a bit unstable lately... Should be fine soon!

Thanks so much for putting together all the in information on the thread genji !

Any news on the battery drain issue?

Sep 18, 2017 at 01:39 PM
Mathieu18
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

Looking forward to seeing what's next!

techartpro wrote:

Thanks so much for putting together all the in information on the thread genji !

Sep 18, 2017 at 04:50 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

You would think Fotodiox would not copy the same design. I find that weird from them or is someone stealing there name and tech arts design. Anyone know the bottom line here

Sep 18, 2017 at 05:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

GMPhotography
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

So I'm wondering what the new product tech arts launching I have a CV 35 now and that would be fun. I'll volunteer testing it

Sep 18, 2017 at 05:31 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

Does the alleged knockoff have expanded support for Sony AF features, such as eye-detect? How does the performance compare to the TechArt (based on TechArt's allegations it should probably be the same or worse, but I wonder if Fotodiox has improved on the firmware?)

Sep 18, 2017 at 06:06 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

Arka wrote:
Does the alleged knockoff have expanded support for Sony AF features, such as eye-detect? How does the performance compare to the TechArt (based on TechArt's allegations it should probably be the same or worse, but I wonder if Fotodiox has improved on the firmware?)

First one to get Eye AF, I buy.

Sep 18, 2017 at 06:17 PM
bluloo
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

GMPhotography wrote:
So I'm wondering what the new product tech arts launching I have a CV 35 now and that would be fun. I'll volunteer testing it

I thought it was the same type of adapter, for another mount - Canon -> Fuji maybe?

Sep 18, 2017 at 06:36 PM
bluloo
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

GMPhotography wrote:
You would think Fotodiox would not copy the same design. I find that weird from them or is someone stealing there name and tech arts design. Anyone know the bottom line here

FWIW - IP, in Chinese manufacturing, is like the wild west.
Acquire, make slight (cosmetic) changes - or not - and add your own branding.

Sep 18, 2017 at 06:38 PM
k-h.a.w
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

I am simply looking forward to an improved (HW & SW) TAP adapter for my M lenses.

K-H.

Sep 18, 2017 at 08:12 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

It will be interesting to see if this adapter drains the battery like the techart or not. That alone would make it attractive. Otherwise, my TAP still works wonderfully!

Sep 18, 2017 at 08:24 PM
Charlie N
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

rji2goleez wrote:
It will be interesting to see if this adapter drains the battery like the techart or not. That alone would make it attractive. Otherwise, my TAP still works wonderfully!

"The PRONTO adapter may slowly drain your camera battery even when the camera is turned off. To prevent this issue when the camera is not in use simply remove the battery briefly and insert it again."

they copied techart down to it's flaws! Couldnt they avoid the problem with a USB adapter? Other adapters dont have this issue, I'm thinking it's a bluetooth problem.

Sep 18, 2017 at 08:32 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

Charlie N wrote:
"The PRONTO adapter may slowly drain your camera battery even when the camera is turned off. To prevent this issue when the camera is not in use simply remove the battery briefly and insert it again."

they copied techart down to it's flaws! Couldnt they avoid the problem with a USB adapter? Other adapters dont have this issue, I'm thinking it's a bluetooth problem.

Well, that's disappointing . . .

Sep 18, 2017 at 08:33 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · FotodioX PRONTO: Leica M-Mount to Sony E-Mount with AF!

Charlie N wrote:

My TAP adapter does not have this problem. I've charged a battery to 100%, put the camera away, turned it on the next day, and seen 100%. And I never took the TechArt Pro adapter off.

The more I use the TAP, the more impressed I am with it. It doesn't feel reliable enough for paid work, but my keeper rate is on the rise. I think the incorporation of the full suite of Sony AF features would make the TechArt Pro (or perhaps this Fotodiox) a truly killer product.

Sep 19, 2017 at 03:10 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password