Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

What Head On Gitzo Tripod Sony A7r II 24-70GM 2.8?

sabeast

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What Head On Gitzo Tripod Sony A7r II 24-70GM 2.8?

Buying A Head This Weekend! Any Last Recommendations? So Far Im Looking At The Below Options. Taking shots of myself & products. Im a fashion designer, so the images will be some studio, mostly street style fashion photography.

Manfrotto 410
Really Right Stuff BH-40
Arca Swiss P0
Archatech GP

Aug 17, 2017 at 07:44 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What Head On Gitzo Tripod Sony A7r II 24-70GM 2.8?

i have and use a BH-40 on my TVC24. don't forget you need to get the appropriate plate for the camera for use with the Arca Swiss system

of the 4 heads 2 of them are native "standard" Arca Swiss clamp based. those being the RRS BH-40 and Acratech GP

the Arca Swiss P0 comes with either a combination Arca Swiss regular and slidefix clamp assy or a threaded base to put on your choice of clamps

the Manfrotto 410 has a propriatary plate assy but can be converted to accept the Arca Swiss plate system

and really there is no need to cross this over 10 different threads. general gear is where it belongs

Aug 17, 2017 at 10:24 PM
sabeast

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What Head On Gitzo Tripod Sony A7r II 24-70GM 2.8?

Survey says?

Aug 19, 2017 at 03:03 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What Head On Gitzo Tripod Sony A7r II 24-70GM 2.8?

Avoid the Manfrotto due to the non-A-S clamp.
Do you have a gift certificate or some reason to pick from those four options?

EBH

Aug 19, 2017 at 03:30 AM
sabeast

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What Head On Gitzo Tripod Sony A7r II 24-70GM 2.8?

No just based on research I've done I keep seeing those as best heads to use.

Aug 19, 2017 at 03:31 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What Head On Gitzo Tripod Sony A7r II 24-70GM 2.8?

Manfrotto 410- geared head a bit more specialized and slower to use

RRS BH-40- a more general use ball type head. very versatile, well designed, well built. my #1 choice. I haven't seen anything else that really tops it for overall usage.

Acratech GP- a variation on the basic ball design. unique in design (skeletonized) but kind of bulky in my opinion. I owned the "ultimate" head for about a month or so found it not to be as good as it looked.

Arca Swiss P0- the lightest one again with a unique design. somewhat lower usability in certain usage but it is a a compact product.

my scale:
1- RRS BH-40
2- Acratech GP
3- Arca Swiss P0
4- Manfrotto 410

X20    12mm    f/5.0    1/1s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

X20    12mm    f/5.0    1/1s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

X20    11mm    f/5.0    1/2s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Aug 19, 2017 at 11:26 AM
sabeast

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What Head On Gitzo Tripod Sony A7r II 24-70GM 2.8?

So the p0 hybrid wouldn't be a practical head for fashion/street style photography?

Aug 19, 2017 at 07:18 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What Head On Gitzo Tripod Sony A7r II 24-70GM 2.8?

not in my view

Aug 19, 2017 at 07:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sabeast

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What Head On Gitzo Tripod Sony A7r II 24-70GM 2.8?

Ordering today and i think its going to be the p0. I would get the hybrid for use of the product studio & lifestyle/editorial shots, but its $$$. Doing some video also, not sure if that matters on the heads i listed i was undecided on.

Aug 20, 2017 at 02:37 PM
philber
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What Head On Gitzo Tripod Sony A7r II 24-70GM 2.8?

I won and use a Arca-Swiss P0. It does not have the ultra-smooth feel of a Gitzo head, but function is absolutely excellent, and I recommend it without reservation.

Aug 20, 2017 at 03:01 PM
sabeast

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What Head On Gitzo Tripod Sony A7r II 24-70GM 2.8?

should i get a fluid head for video or any of those heads i mentioned good for smooth pan and tilt?

Aug 20, 2017 at 06:13 PM
jeetsukumaran
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What Head On Gitzo Tripod Sony A7r II 24-70GM 2.8?

philber wrote:
I won and use a Arca-Swiss P0. It does not have the ultra-smooth feel of a Gitzo head, but function is absolutely excellent, and I recommend it without reservation.

Hmmm. Have Gitzo revolutionized their ballheads since I last tried them a few years ago? Because I did not find them terribly smooth, at least, in relation to the my (first-gen) BH-40 and Markins Q20, the latter of which is in fact not just exceptionally smooth, but by far the most buttery smoothy head I have ever used and that includes all the RRS offerings (which are excellent in their own right).

Aug 20, 2017 at 06:37 PM
philber
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What Head On Gitzo Tripod Sony A7r II 24-70GM 2.8?

I cannot speak to older (5 yr+) Gitzo heads, but recent ones I always found to be very smooth; Thye claim it is due to Teflon coating. My yardsticks are a Manfrotto head and the Arca-Swiss P0.

Aug 20, 2017 at 06:40 PM
jharter
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What Head On Gitzo Tripod Sony A7r II 24-70GM 2.8?

Gitzo heads are not up to par in my book - at least all of them that I could play with at B&H.

I would say that all of those 4 are in the same neighborhood so it comes down to what you like. The RRS is kind of a mid-weight standard but it is not as good for panning without buying an accessory panning clamp that adds weight/bulk/cost. Made in USA.

The Arca P0 is one of my favorites. Easy to use due to the circumferential tensioning knob, is very easy to level, and is very good for panning/stitching but I avoid using it around saltwater having dunked it once and it needed professional help. Made in Europe.

The Acratech GP is my favorite used upside down so that the top plate (that is natively the bottom panning base) becomes a level panning base similar to the P0. It is generally lighter than anything comparable, is very easy to clean, made in USA.

Markins has a lot of fans but I see it as an Arca ripoff and would just get an Arca if I wanted that design. It needs accessories for level panning and is made somewhere in Asia.

If you get the P0, my advice would be to get the model without a clamp and separately buy an Acratech lever clamp. RRS lever clamp is also very good but I prefer the lever on the Acratech. I have both and they are excellent.

Aug 20, 2017 at 06:53 PM
sabeast

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What Head On Gitzo Tripod Sony A7r II 24-70GM 2.8?

should i get a fluid head for video or any of those heads i mentioned good for smooth pan and tilt? I Was trying to avoid buying 2 heads. If i were to get a video head i would maybe get the Manfrotto 500 or 502

Aug 20, 2017 at 06:55 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What Head On Gitzo Tripod Sony A7r II 24-70GM 2.8?

There is not one type of head that is best for everything.
For video get a video head. For general use a ball head like the BH-40 is fine.
I don't care for the ergonomics of that particular model, but it is a solid head.

EBH

Aug 20, 2017 at 07:51 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password