Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2017 · Sony 12-24 Big Bronco/ STC IR-CUT 64 ND Filter and CPL filter Tests

GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Sony 12-24 Big Bronco/ STC IR-CUT 64 ND Filter and CPL filter Tests

I think it will be just fine even if it was messed up it still looked good at 18mm at F8. I'll test in morning again. Try 12,15,18,21

Aug 17, 2017 at 04:05 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Sony 12-24 Big Bronco/ STC IR-CUT 64 ND Filter and CPL filter Tests

I am viewing this on my phone and can't tell for sure.
Did you test at 12?

Aug 17, 2017 at 04:06 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Sony 12-24 Big Bronco/ STC IR-CUT 64 ND Filter and CPL filter Tests

No Ill do 12mm as well in the morning. I thought I would be too close to the wall but Ill do it anyway. The Batis 25mm is perfect no lose of quality. I may install the filter and just leave it alone for all 4 focal lengths . I think I may have not been totally in on the zoom. Going to turn live view off so I get full gain for focusing too. It may have been me

Aug 17, 2017 at 04:12 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Sony 12-24 Big Bronco/ STC IR-CUT 64 ND Filter and CPL filter Tests

Great
When I tested, I had the filter backwards with the writing facing out...so I will test this again at infinity.

GMPhotography wrote:
No Ill do 12mm as well in the morning. I thought I would be too close to the wall but Ill do it anyway. The Batis 25mm is perfect no lose of quality. I may install the filter and just leave it alone for all 4 focal lengths . I think I may have not been totally in on the zoom. Going to turn live view off so I get full gain for focusing too. It may have been me

Aug 17, 2017 at 04:54 PM
mreynolds767
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Sony 12-24 Big Bronco/ STC IR-CUT 64 ND Filter and CPL filter Tests

Guy, thanks so much for testing this and posting the results!

I received mine a couple of days ago and it is still in the case as I have been swamped trying to catch up on other things before a trip this weekend.
Had hoped to find time last night or today to test and was unable.
I was really on the fence to take the ND filter with me on the trip before your post, this gives me more confidence that is it worth doing and using while in Norway.

Aug 17, 2017 at 05:34 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Sony 12-24 Big Bronco/ STC IR-CUT 64 ND Filter and CPL filter Tests

It has its Pros and cons but I like the idea of it.

Pros

Its neutral color which is a big one
Works with all A7 and A9
Works with all lenses until I test 12mm for now
It's certainly 6 stops
Easy to travel with

Cons
Dust
Big hole and you got your fingers in it
On and off in field can be a hassle
Hard to focus
Focus does change so your minimum focus distance will extend out some. Now maybe these fly by wire lenses may go further than MFD. that's a test right there as I'm guessing it won't. Hard stop lenses it will not but fly by wire is a question mark

I do suggest a small toothpick type object to get it out easier than your finger nail and carry a cleaning cloth like any filter it can and will get dirty or finger prints.

Aug 17, 2017 at 06:19 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Sony 12-24 Big Bronco/ STC IR-CUT 64 ND Filter and CPL filter Tests

So after playing around with mounting this it looks like the writing text does face out even though the results look the same either way. But you really have to be careful as i noticed once i put text out the filter was moving around. Than I tried again and its tight to the sensor now. So be really careful when mounting it in.

Good news 12mm does work without any vignetting and I will test corners in morning on Big Bronco. Here the ISO is high but still look good

Watch the Exif

Aug 17, 2017 at 11:14 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Sony 12-24 Big Bronco/ STC IR-CUT 64 ND Filter and CPL filter Tests

So I will test with the writing out in the morning on Big Bronco and also do 12,15,18,21,24

Notice the ghost in the lights.

Aug 17, 2017 at 11:17 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Sony 12-24 Big Bronco/ STC IR-CUT 64 ND Filter and CPL filter Tests

Okay out in the field I tried text out and text in and text out was very loose but they seem the same either way BUT BUT its clear looking at the results this is a 15mm F11 and longer solution than 18mm its F8 and 21 and 24 are really good even at 5.6. So in short 12mm is out. My thinking its trying to pass light through the filter and its smearing because of the light angle.

You could sneak a 15mm at F8 or so and still have decent corners than if your doing the 77mm filter out front trick. Without going to a Nisi system you in the 15mm and above and for me with the CPL its actually 16mm.

To be totally a pixel peeper with this solution call it 18mm and nothing wider. Ill post some results later but thats the bottom line

Just to give you a idea here is a 12mm crop at F11

Aug 18, 2017 at 10:38 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Sony 12-24 Big Bronco/ STC IR-CUT 64 ND Filter and CPL filter Tests

Now this is a 15mm crop at F11. Its not too bad and in some cases totally okay

Aug 18, 2017 at 10:40 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Sony 12-24 Big Bronco/ STC IR-CUT 64 ND Filter and CPL filter Tests

Now at 18mm at F8 its really looking good

Aug 18, 2017 at 10:42 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Sony 12-24 Big Bronco/ STC IR-CUT 64 ND Filter and CPL filter Tests

Gotta run but its a workable solution but again the Nisi system or similar is ultimately the best as you can do anything at 12mm up with no restrictions

Aug 18, 2017 at 10:44 AM
nampramos
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Sony 12-24 Big Bronco/ STC IR-CUT 64 ND Filter and CPL filter Tests

Thank you very much!

I think I'll pass this solution.

Aug 18, 2017 at 11:09 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Sony 12-24 Big Bronco/ STC IR-CUT 64 ND Filter and CPL filter Tests

Yea it's nice on longer than 18mm and you could eliminate those 77mm and bigger filters like a 82mm ND cost quite a bit of money

Aug 18, 2017 at 11:12 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Sony 12-24 Big Bronco/ STC IR-CUT 64 ND Filter and CPL filter Tests

Also for some reason it fits my A9 better writing out. Just weird

Aug 18, 2017 at 01:25 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Sony 12-24 Big Bronco/ STC IR-CUT 64 ND Filter and CPL filter Tests

FYI also did the test with the A9 this morning. 12mm is out if you care anything about corners 15mm at I would say excellent at F10. 18mm F8 , 21 5.6.

Its really just a smear issue with lens diffraction from the light coming in. Now it does work excellent with longer and is handy. Ill keep it in my bag

Aug 21, 2017 at 11:18 AM
mreynolds767
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Sony 12-24 Big Bronco/ STC IR-CUT 64 ND Filter and CPL filter Tests

Just wanted to chime in with my comments after using the STC clip on filter.
I have used the filter in the field exactly one time so by no means an expert.

Received it during a very busy week and was leaving for Norway at the end of the week, with a quick stop in Rome in route. I had no time to try using it before the trip.
My motivation was to use it on multiple lens as it would save a good amount of space in the bag over anything else.

Due to feedback by GM and Fred posted I decided to add it to what I was worth bringing but not worth eliminating anything.
Was great to have their feedback in advance.

I used filters less than I thought on the trip as a whole since clouds were rarely moving at all, I spent my time mainly hiking and photographing from vista points so even though in Waterfall country didn't really photograph any memorable moving water where I would have used filters.

The one time I tried the clip on filter was for a sunrise in Rome overlooking the Forum. Clouds mostly non-existent but thought I would give it a go.
I found installation and removal to not be bad, of course because I brought with me a plastic toothpick to use rather than my fingers thanks to GM's tip.
Overall more potential exposure to the sensor than other types of filters but no more difficult to install and uninstall than a screw on filter.
I had no fear at all of damaging the sensor just thought there is more opportunity to get pesky dust on the sensor which is already an issue for me on Sony mirrorless ILC cameras.
Size is a definite advantage, plus ability to use it on any lens once installed.

I was shooting at F11 and manual focusing and boy did it mess with the focus.
Took a few shots I assumed would be in focus, was just a hair shy of the beginning Infinity mark using a Loxia 21, an area I know is a sweet spot for me based on prior usage for similar scenes and the distant scene in front of me was soft.
I had to move my focus ring in to 2 meters on the Loxia dial to get a focused distant scene. I had no foreground to speak of in this shot.
Once done, the shots came out in focus with no issues and NO vignetting which is a huge plus.
Overall the odd focus behavior got me spooked though and decided I couldn't trust to use it on the trip again. I just didn't know what I would do if I had a scene with close and far subjects, would everything just move in, would minimum focus distance be much worse, etc...

When I had opportunities later to use filters I stuck with what I was more comfortable with since light was fleeting and I just couldn't chance it.
Will give it another go at home when I have more time to fiddle with focus and understanding it a little more so IQ for how I shoot looked great, no vignette but it definitely affects focus/focus distance which needs some time to figure out the affects on.

I also see an advantage when you desire to stack filters like a polarizer on front clip in the back, or 2 of the 6 stops one in front and clip in back or a 10 stop with the 6 stop. I thought I would end up taking a couple of shots of this type but never had the cloud movement to warrant it.

I could see this same companies' Astro specific clip in filter making more sense since I trust the quality and with that you would install it at home and just leave it installed for the night of shooting, similarly with focus once you figure out where the proper focus is with the clip installed you could leave it there and be set for the night.

For now keeping in the bag but hesitant to recommend to others and unsure when I will trust to use it again if other options are in the bag.

Edited on Aug 28, 2017 at 10:38 AM · View previous versions

Aug 28, 2017 at 10:31 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Sony 12-24 Big Bronco/ STC IR-CUT 64 ND Filter and CPL filter Tests

One other trick you can try which I have not done yet but I'm sure it would work. Is for focusing hit the exposure compensation dial to +3 that would at least give you a more exposed visual to focus than put back to normal to shoot. I'll try it this morning myself

Aug 28, 2017 at 10:36 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Sony 12-24 Big Bronco/ STC IR-CUT 64 ND Filter and CPL filter Tests

mreynolds767 wrote:
Just wanted to chime in with my comments after using the STC clip on filter.
I have used the filter in the field exactly one time so by no means an expert.

Received it during a very busy week and was leaving for Norway at the end of the week, with a quick stop in Rome in route. I had no time to try using it before the trip.
My motivation was to use it on multiple lens as it would save a good amount of space in the bag over anything else.

Due to feedback by GM and Fred posted I decided to
...Show more

Can you post the picture you took? Thanks for your feedback.
I think the clip-on filter is great for lenses above 20mm focal length. Before that, it really degrades corner performance. Initially I got it for the 12-24/4 G since it does not take regular filter threads and was disappointed that it degrades resolution in the corners dramatically at the wider range.

Aug 28, 2017 at 10:37 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Sony 12-24 Big Bronco/ STC IR-CUT 64 ND Filter and CPL filter Tests

At 18mm it's very good at F8. I would not go wider as I tested this a couple times on both the A7r2 and the A9 but you can get a good 18 in the corners any wider it's a smearing issue. Not sure on the Loxia 21 since I don't have one but on the Batis 25 it's great even wide open. I have a really good Batis 25 it seems

Aug 28, 2017 at 10:45 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.