Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2017 · Sony 12-24 Big Bronco/ STC IR-CUT 64 ND Filter and CPL filter Tests

GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony 12-24 Big Bronco/ STC IR-CUT 64 ND Filter and CPL filter Tests

I ordered one of the clip on ND 64 filters on from

https://www.cyclopsoptics.com/stc-clip-filter/stc-clip-filter-ir-cut-nd16-sony-alpha-7-9/

The results are pretty positive. Now I took out the 12-24mm with my A7rII and i wanted to test at a focal length that was not at the extreme of 12mm so I went with 18mm which is good on my lens and I also tried the Basis 25mm lens.

Couple things I want to know was one was if there is any color shift and two how is the corner quality when using a clip on filter in front of the lens. One thing for sure is the distance does change . On this test at 18mm without filter my focus distance was 1m and with the filter it was .7m. So your going to have a focus distance difference with on and off. Now no issues with infinity and I did not test MFD but that will get affected as your going to run out of the very minimal distance on any lens. So that is one downside to this if your lens has a minimum of 2 ft than it may be 3ft. Something to test for at some point here. Really should not be a big deal as most of us will be using this for landscape to slow down our shutter speeds for water, clouds and such. The other issue is corners and wide open it does soften them but it does catch up fairly nicely. Again landscape folks are maybe at 5.6 and smaller apertures so really not a big downside but just be aware of it.

Okay this is at 18mm at F8 for both images on and off. I put my color passport in every shot but I turned it away from camera slightly because straight on it would reflect the sun and you don't want that but very even color across the board and no difference on or off. This is good news

Aug 17, 2017 at 02:40 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony 12-24 Big Bronco/ STC IR-CUT 64 ND Filter and CPL filter Tests

Couple other little tech notes. They say lay the camera on its back to remove screen. Which I agree with but in the field testing you don't want to take camera off tripod and do that so I did it in its normal position on tripod. Have left hand under the mount to catch the baby being born setup.

Now I could not use my finger nail to pop it off once on. So I used a wood toothpick and that made it easy to get it into the slot and pop it off. So in essence camera never moved between on and off. I know I have talent in areas i never knew.

Second and this one is a big. Don't know why they did this but they put written type on the frame . So you would think that should face you. WRONG it actually faces inside towards the sensor. Kind of stupid if you ask me. But you insert the bottom first than push the top of the frame in and text should face the sensor. You want the glass as close to the sensor as possible, remember this

Aug 17, 2017 at 02:46 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony 12-24 Big Bronco/ STC IR-CUT 64 ND Filter and CPL filter Tests

If you notice the color balance looks very clean with or without. Very impressed with that and I can use my CPL out front inside with a 77mm lens at 16mm so they will work together.

Now wide open with ND on the corners are soft both the 12-24 and the Basis 25mm so thats a given. But where does it equal out.

Coming next

Aug 17, 2017 at 02:47 PM
nampramos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony 12-24 Big Bronco/ STC IR-CUT 64 ND Filter and CPL filter Tests

You clip this on in front of the sensor?

Why didn't you shoot at 12mm?

Aug 17, 2017 at 02:52 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony 12-24 Big Bronco/ STC IR-CUT 64 ND Filter and CPL filter Tests

nampramos wrote:
You clip this on in front of the sensor?

Why didn't you shoot at 12mm?

Because I was trying to keep a reasonable distance from the wall. At 12mm Im right on top of it and i did want to shoot 12mm and see how it looked but forgot. But I will try some at 12mm as well.

Yes you clip this on and on the website it said on a DSLR its good from 14mm up. So I need to check this as well. I can do that here at the house and see where it may cut off

Aug 17, 2017 at 03:11 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony 12-24 Big Bronco/ STC IR-CUT 64 ND Filter and CPL filter Tests

Okay all these are at 18mm on the 12-24. Lets see where the ND catches up

Aug 17, 2017 at 03:12 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony 12-24 Big Bronco/ STC IR-CUT 64 ND Filter and CPL filter Tests

Moving on to F8 and F11

Aug 17, 2017 at 03:13 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony 12-24 Big Bronco/ STC IR-CUT 64 ND Filter and CPL filter Tests

F8 looks pretty good but F11 looks from a pixel peeping seat a little better. Still I think F8 is very acceptable. Now on the Basis 25 at 5.6 they are really good

These are very very extreme corners.

Aug 17, 2017 at 03:16 PM
nampramos
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sony 12-24 Big Bronco/ STC IR-CUT 64 ND Filter and CPL filter Tests

Thank you!

I think the 12mm will be very useful since there are now other options to use regular filters in front up to 15mm.

Aug 17, 2017 at 03:18 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sony 12-24 Big Bronco/ STC IR-CUT 64 ND Filter and CPL filter Tests

Lets look at the Batis 25mm which beats the zoom in the corners by two stops. Why I got the Basis 25mm

Aug 17, 2017 at 03:18 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sony 12-24 Big Bronco/ STC IR-CUT 64 ND Filter and CPL filter Tests

nampramos wrote:
Thank you!

I think the 12mm will be very useful since there are now other options to use regular filters in front up to 15mm.

I know but Im selling my NISI system now its on the buy and sell. Thats is the cleanest way to 12mm all around..

I will try 12mm no problem. I wanted to see if this is even worth it because it does have a big negative. If you don't like sticking your big fingers inside a sensor box this is not for you and dust is much easier to get inside but the positive is you can use this with any lens. So some downsides and upsides to it. I worked with Medium Format backs and exposed sensors and I'm used to that but many folks won't touch this and that I can understand as well. Big hole big dust.

Aug 17, 2017 at 03:22 PM
nampramos
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sony 12-24 Big Bronco/ STC IR-CUT 64 ND Filter and CPL filter Tests

GMPhotography wrote:
I know but Im selling my NISI system now its on the buy and sell. Thats is the cleanest way to 12mm all around..

I will try 12mm no problem. I wanted to see if this is even worth it because it does have a big negative. If you don't like sticking your big fingers inside a sensor box this is not for you and dust is much easier to get inside but the positive is you can use this with any lens. So some downsides and upsides to it. I worked with Medium Format backs and exposed sensors and I'm
...Show more

I am not surprised you are selling it You want to sell me your 12-24 too and make it a nice package deal?

Why didnt you like it?

Aug 17, 2017 at 03:26 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sony 12-24 Big Bronco/ STC IR-CUT 64 ND Filter and CPL filter Tests

I may have to run this whole test again as the Basis 25mm with the filter is very close even at F2 to non filter. Now maybe it has to do with focal length or my focus with the 18mm focus test. Its not easy focusing with 6 stops down ND.

Aug 17, 2017 at 03:29 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sony 12-24 Big Bronco/ STC IR-CUT 64 ND Filter and CPL filter Tests

nampramos wrote:
I am not surprised you are selling it You want to sell me your 12-24 too and make it a nice package deal?

Why didnt you like it?

Actually I like the NISI but I want the CV 65mm more so something has to go.

Im keeping the 12-24

Aug 17, 2017 at 03:30 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sony 12-24 Big Bronco/ STC IR-CUT 64 ND Filter and CPL filter Tests

Batis 25mm F2 on and off

Aug 17, 2017 at 03:33 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sony 12-24 Big Bronco/ STC IR-CUT 64 ND Filter and CPL filter Tests

So at F5.6 with the Batis there simply the same and really no issues with the corners at all at any aperture. So I need to test the zoom again

Aug 17, 2017 at 03:38 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sony 12-24 Big Bronco/ STC IR-CUT 64 ND Filter and CPL filter Tests

Im just going to call it the 18mm test is bad as the Batis 25mm is showing no softness at all compared to without filter. So lets call it bad focus on my part. This is actually good news

Even as it is pretty darn good if you ask me so just want to be sure there is or is not any softness in the wider areas.

Edited on Aug 17, 2017 at 03:52 PM · View previous versions

Aug 17, 2017 at 03:41 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sony 12-24 Big Bronco/ STC IR-CUT 64 ND Filter and CPL filter Tests

So I will rerun the zoom test. But I did try the Breakthrough 77mm CPL filter. I added a slim 77mm blank to the back side of it for mounting reasons. But I get a very clean 17mm and good 16mm. Now if you have a ND filter in 77mm you may get more since you have enough room for mounting so 15mm maybe possible.

Here is my results for the CPL

Watch the Exif data for focal length

Aug 17, 2017 at 03:47 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sony 12-24 Big Bronco/ STC IR-CUT 64 ND Filter and CPL filter Tests

One possible issue is for each lens I did take out and put back in the filter. So maybe I did not push far enough in on clip.

Aug 17, 2017 at 03:58 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sony 12-24 Big Bronco/ STC IR-CUT 64 ND Filter and CPL filter Tests

Thanks for the tests Guy!

Aug 17, 2017 at 03:59 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.