New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2017 · Wide angle

Maxbot
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Wide angle

I think that's a great plan. When I was more constrained by funds in the past I also turned to the Rokinon 14 for its fantastic performance/price ratio. You should definitely test for infinity focus, decentering, and sharpness. I've a copy that had pretty fuzzy corners wide open, even though past copies have had decent corners. Be prepared to go through a few copies until you find a good one!

Aug 18, 2017 at 10:05 AM
Lawrence Blau
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Wide angle

I love wide angle. Shoot with the 7rii and 6300. I would strongly recommend the batis lenses 18 and 25. Great wide angle lenses. I also use the batis tout 12mm on the 6300. Have taken great landscapes and Astro shots with these lenses. Go for great glass. Do not skimp

Aug 18, 2017 at 10:12 AM
WestTexas Sky
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Wide angle

Agree on testing the corners. And be strong about not accepting poor copies.

When you get a good one it's a great lens.

Maxbot wrote:
I think that's a great plan. When I was more constrained by funds in the past I also turned to the Rokinon 14 for its fantastic performance/price ratio. You should definitely test for infinity focus, decentering, and sharpness. I've a copy that had pretty fuzzy corners wide open, even though past copies have had decent corners. Be prepared to go through a few copies until you find a good one!

Aug 18, 2017 at 10:17 AM
Faulta

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Wide angle

Dealing with iso values around 6400 on the a7, Resolution is not that important because you don't want to look at those images 1:1 anyways. Iso performance pretty much is in a linear relationship with cropping in.
That means, a 24mp astro shot with the batis 18mm 2.8 has no real resolution advantage over a cropped 12mm F2 iso 3200 shot with 10.5 megapixels - they pretty much look the same because you don't want to look that close that you're seeing the resolution advantage.
And 10.5mp for astro is actually enough, the a7s has 12mp and is the go-to astro solution.
I haven't tested the 12 f2 on full frame yet to determine what sensor size it actually covers. I would say a 1.3 crop could be enough but it would have more vignetting and worse corner's. One would need to test that out. In that case you would get an 15.6mm F2.6 equivalent lens. If it's only for astro shots I would not bother with cropping in post because you have to edit them anyways.
It's rainy where I live, I could offer an samyang 12mm f2 full frame test shot as soon as it's clear in Germany if you want

Aug 18, 2017 at 11:42 AM
jtrankler
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Wide angle

Faulta wrote:
Dealing with iso values around 6400 on the a7, Resolution is not that important because you don't want to look at those images 1:1 anyways. Iso performance pretty much is in a linear relationship with cropping in.
That means, a 24mp astro shot with the batis 18mm 2.8 has no real resolution advantage over a cropped 12mm F2 iso 3200 shot with 10.5 megapixels - they pretty much look the same because you don't want to look that close that you're seeing the resolution advantage.
And 10.5mp for astro is actually enough, the a7s has 12mp and is the go-to astro solution.
I
...Show more

Always enjoy some sample shots.

I could also float it for a week and just order both the 12 f2 and the 14f2.8 do side by side compares plus test quality then return one or other or both...

Aug 18, 2017 at 12:52 PM
Faulta

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Wide angle

jtrankler wrote:
Always enjoy some sample shots.

I could also float it for a week and just order both the 12 f2 and the 14f2.8 do side by side compares plus test quality then return one or other or both...

If you're on a budget, it will be one of those lenses and if you're buying samyang - you have to get used to returning bad copies anyways
Like I said, I was never in good luck with the 14mm but others got stunning lenses, so besides deciding for one solution, it also comes down to your own copy. I feel like the 12mm has a little less quality issues but there are decentering problems as well. The worst copy variation with the 14mm is not decentering but field curvature at infinity when it comes to astro shots.

Also, with those wide lenses, make sure to find a real infinity spot. Use the moon or far far away city lights to focus and Mark the spot on the lens, no samyang ever that I know had it's true infinity at the infinity marking on the lens

Aug 18, 2017 at 01:08 PM
justruss
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Wide angle

I had a great copy of the 12mm f/2 (on fuji), but never tried it on my A7rII. I've heard mostly good things from other Rok 12mm buyers-- it's a gem, and while there must be variation, you anecdotally hear less about it (could also be that 12mm + APS-C + that resolution range doesn't show the issues 42mp + FF + FFglass displays at 1:1).

Aug 19, 2017 at 04:39 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Wide angle

BTW, Astro Resource

Rokinon 12mm: https://www.lonelyspeck.com/rokinon-12mm-f2-0-ncs-cs-review/

"Overall, I really love this lens. I’m enthralled that it performs so admirably for astrophotography, a subject that usually requires large heavy lenses. It offers something unique for mirrorless shooters and delivers photos that don’t disappoint. It’s small size and small price tag make it that much more enjoyable."

Batis 18mm: https://www.lonelyspeck.com/zeiss-batis-18mm-f2-8-astrophotography-review/

"The Zeiss Batis 18mm f/2.8 is simply the best wide angle lens I’ve ever used and a perfect choice for landscape astrophotography. Highly Recommended."

Aug 19, 2017 at 04:40 AM
Faulta

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Wide angle

One negative Thing about the 12mm F2 has to be said as well, it's the same negative the 14mm 2.8 suffers from and only matters for landscape shots with the sun in the frame or other bright light sources. The 6 blades aperture produces somewhat uninteresting washy sunstars, not well defined, just not my personal tase at all. They both look pretty similar in this aspect.
But for astro that's not important.

Aug 19, 2017 at 05:57 AM
Michael Everet
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Wide angle

If anyone has tried the Rokinon 12/2 on a FF I would be interested in hearing how much overage there is. I would be using it mostly for landscape work.

Aug 19, 2017 at 12:12 PM
Faulta

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Wide angle

I just got home, it's 2am in Germany and the sky is clear. So I went in the backyard and took one single shot with the 12mm f2 on the Sony a7ii. I can upload it when I'm on the computer tomorrow.
But what I can tell you from the image I have on the phone, you're getting about 12 from 24 megapixels without strong vignetting at f2. Focus was not 100% at infinity since I just put it where I remembered it to be without checking but it's pretty good.
So you're getting a crop factor of 1.4. with astro shots you could crop it to 1.3 or 1.2 and replace the black corners in Photoshop with intelligent fill but what you're really getting out of the lens is 1.4 or a little more so you end up with an equivalent 16.5mm F2.8 lens with a ~12megapixel shot

Edit:
https://www.flickr.com/gp/139032526@N08/Bd8NB9
There is the untouched sooc jpeg that I sent to my phone directly from the camera.
Iso 3200 and 30s. Star trailing a little even with 12mm, so resolution is definitely good enough. APS-c corners look pretty good too, it falls apart in the full frame corners of course

Aug 19, 2017 at 07:27 PM
simonedf
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Wide angle

Another vote for the Batis 18.
If you're lucky, sometimes they pop up on ebay for reasonable prices. I got mine for approx. 1000-1100$.

Aug 21, 2017 at 08:38 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Wide angle

why not the Nikon 14-24? They have come down in price on the used market A TON since i bought mine used in 2014 for $1500. I see them on the B&S forum in excellent shape for $1000-1100. I used the 14-24 on the A7r for a few months

Aug 21, 2017 at 09:14 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Wide angle

Terrible focus shift. Had some real big issues with it. Going from Nikon to Sony is tough with adapters as well. I wound up selling all my Nikon glass after I made the switch to Sony. Gludge Fudge operationally

Dustin Gent wrote:
why not the Nikon 14-24? They have come down in price on the used market A TON since i bought mine used in 2014 for $1500. I see them on the B&S forum in excellent shape for $1000-1100. I used the 14-24 on the A7r for a few months

Aug 21, 2017 at 09:51 AM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.