New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Punta Cana , DR

nycjuni

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Punta Cana , DR

So this is my first time trying out the a Samyang 14mm, still experimenting with that one. Also using a ND filter 10 stop on Canon 24-105mm.. Any suggestions on where is the best point to be in the beach area (sand,water break point..etc) I understand it all depends on beach area and location, but any tips on where to start on the beach below would help. Thanks.

The shots below were taken on a beach wooden platform about 15ft high using tripod, Canon 5d3.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    1s    50 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens    24mm    f/10.0    30s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Aug 17, 2017 at 11:54 AM
beavens
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Punta Cana , DR

With UWA lenses I like to get super close and super low. This will create an interesting foreground that will 'draw' the viewer into the rest of the scene. It also helps preventing from creating a tiny, compressed scene that is difficult to make out any detail. Sure, this can be useful when trying to play up an expansive feel, but that's not always the goal.

As far as #1 goes, it's fairly cluttered in terms of comp. As shot there is no real anchor point, so you definitely get the feeling of floating which I think it's counter-productive here. You've also got a fairly severe counter-clockwise lean and some perspective distortion around the edges.

I dig #2's simplicity and soft tones a lot more. I might have composed this so I was rotated around more to the left so the perspective was looking up the beachline (the palm would still be on the right side of the frame, but the nice line of the coast would not be broken up). Might look to clone out the ladder () and the lone OOF person.

My $0.02!

Jeff

Aug 17, 2017 at 01:28 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Punta Cana , DR

The second definitely has more appeal and Jeff offers some good points.

Aug 17, 2017 at 01:42 PM
nycjuni

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Punta Cana , DR

@beavens Great points. I was in a rush to get some of the sunset and realize I need to get out there sooner to look around for composition. I have about a day and a half here left and will attempt some more shots. Thanks again.

@ben Thanks and agree.

Aug 17, 2017 at 01:49 PM
beavens
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Punta Cana , DR

nycjuni wrote:
@beavens@ Great points. I was in a rush to get some of the sunset and realize I need to get out there sooner to look around for composition. I have about a day and a half here left and will attempt some more shots. Thanks again.

Best of luck!! Don't be afraid to go prone in the sand.

And also post the pics of what you get.

Jeff

Aug 17, 2017 at 02:12 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Punta Cana , DR

+1 with low and in tight with your UWA.

Start off by buying a nice cold fancy drink and drag one of those lounge chairs and table down toward the water a little to get it separated from the rest. Then compose your shot with the beach and sunset colored sky in the BG and the chair and drink right up close filling a good portion of the frame.
Might need to focus stack but I think that would make a cool shot.

And if it doesn't, you still get to enjoy drinking one of the props.

Dave

Aug 17, 2017 at 03:10 PM
lylejk
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Punta Cana , DR

Hope you don't mind a bit of play using a few G'MIC tricks along with HDR Efex.

Aug 17, 2017 at 05:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Kevin T
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Punta Cana , DR

I like that you captured the wind with the tree in the second pic. If I were stuck there with time on my hands I would mess around with those umbrellas. Have them fill up the frame of a show and try to capture something in between them. From the top and from the bottom. I don't know if it would work but at first glance they seem to be the most interesting thing besides the potential for sky.

After reading the hint above for the drink prop. It maybe cliche but I am always fond of a POV pic that shows my feet kicking back in an envious scene!

Aug 17, 2017 at 06:25 PM
nycjuni

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Punta Cana , DR

@lighthound Lol. Just got a deep tissue massage, if I add a drink with that I'm not heading anywhere. Thanks. Will consider that option.

Aug 17, 2017 at 08:09 PM
nycjuni

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Punta Cana , DR

@lylejk That looks great. Will try some in LR.

Aug 17, 2017 at 08:09 PM
nycjuni

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Punta Cana , DR

@Kevin Thank You. I was thinking about those ideas.. will attempt some this evening.

Aug 17, 2017 at 08:13 PM
lylejk
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Punta Cana , DR

Thanks nycjuni.

Aug 18, 2017 at 01:34 AM
CMYK Designs
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Punta Cana , DR

lylejk wrote:
Hope you don't mind a bit of play using a few G'MIC tricks along with HDR Efex.

https://s19.postimg.org/4hb6lfrxv/1508966.jpg

This looks more tropical IMHO, but I would straighten the horizon as necessary to straighten the perpendicularity of the palapa poles. I would also crop out the structure on the left and the lower right corner. Just my $.02

Aug 18, 2017 at 01:57 PM
nycjuni

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Punta Cana , DR

Thanks again for all the comments and input. Of course this being the tropics we were rained on during our last night here. So plans changed :-( Until the next attempt, always great receiving suggestions from this board. Thank You

Aug 19, 2017 at 12:51 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password