Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2017 · Sigma Art and autofocus accuracy with Nikon?

charles.K
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Sigma Art and autofocus accuracy with Nikon?

Stoffer wrote:
Yeah, I haven't read much about focusing issues with the new 85 Art and 135 Art, it has been on the wider side as far as I can tell from people's reports. Most say things are good for the 35 Art though. My experience with the 50 Art on a Canon 1D X has scared me a bit, so I will make a note of checking the lens at the dealer if I spring for the D850.

The 50 Art on the D810 is one of the best lenses albeit too sharp for portraits. I have both the 50 Art and 58G for different styles and rendering. Do check in store your Art lenses and do get the USB hub

Aug 19, 2017 at 04:04 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Sigma Art and autofocus accuracy with Nikon?

Just to add the Art lens will behave differently with the Nikon D810 AF system and it is only a matter of figuring out the configuration that best suits your style. Straying too much on the peripheral AF points will not work well either. As mentioned the 20, 24 and 35 Art work superbly with back button AF-C and d9 or d21. I suspect the Nikon d9 or d21 AF mechanism allows extra support for the Art lens AF system to function faster and more accurately.

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:27 AM
chuhsi1
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Sigma Art and autofocus accuracy with Nikon?

I had a sigma 35mm with my DF or a while. Generally unreliable autofocus with AFC back button 9 point. Sold the lens. When the focus hit, the lens was sharp (I tuned with the dock). Just I could not reliably hit focus like with all my other Nikon lenses.

khoido77 wrote:
I would rate my experience with the 35Art with a D600 as just average in term of AF reliability. I also mostly shoot it at f1.4 to 2.0. I had the USB dock as well and spent far too much time in it trying to fine tune the lens. The lens is super sharp at 1.4 when the AF is spot on however. My nikon 85 1.8G with D600 is far more reliable at the time I had the 35Art.

Aug 20, 2017 at 01:07 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Sigma Art and autofocus accuracy with Nikon?

OK, so the reports of so-so autofocus reliability with the 35mm Art are coming in. My main concern is that I can't see a clear pattern of who are successful and who are not. Looks to be an trial and error thing, but at least the Sigma 135/1.8 Art looks solid regarding autofocus.

Aug 20, 2017 at 02:43 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Sigma Art and autofocus accuracy with Nikon?

Stoffer wrote:
OK, so the reports of so-so autofocus reliability with the 35mm Art are coming in. My main concern is that I can't see a clear pattern of who are successful and who are not. Looks to be an trial and error thing, but at least the Sigma 135/1.8 Art looks solid regarding autofocus.

You have to use the Forrest Gump rule and remember "Sigma autofocus is like a box of chocolates and never know what you gonna get until you open the wrapper". I don't have art series lenses, but my current EX series lenses are pretty reliable on my Canon's, but it really helped matters when Canon introduced spot AF, and my understanding is the DF850 might have something similar.

I would actually only buy an Art series second hand from a reputable seller that has done the hard work and you can be confident the AF is reliable.

Aug 20, 2017 at 02:53 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Sigma Art and autofocus accuracy with Nikon?

The Art series lenses are superb and are excellent value. Yes do fully check and evaluate your copy of Art lens. This is really no different with Nikon lens or any lens that I now purchase. There are too many copies of lenses that are not quite right and you end spending so much time trying to figure out the issues.

The only question now is how will the D850 will work with the new Art series lenses. I am assuming faster and more accurate but we just have to wait and see. I do know that with Canon bodies you have to turn off the in camera corrections off so there are no glitches with the AF.

My personal opinion with Art lenses is that they are well worthwhile but just be mindful as with any new lenses and have the ability to swap your copy if it does not feel right.

Aug 20, 2017 at 05:14 AM
ilnonno
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Sigma Art and autofocus accuracy with Nikon?

Stoffer wrote:

I may be a cynical, but I wonder why people don't complain the same – or with similar energy – with regards to Nikon lenses... because honestly, even our highly treasured original Nikkors can have a hard time focusing, it just goes less public.

The 24 1.4G is a very, very hard lens to focus reliably, many find it so, my copy does it too. It's just the nature of the beast.
The 35 1.4G, when I had it, could be considered anything but a focusing champion, especially at a distance, no matter the af fine tune. Sold it when I acquired the ART, which simply is better and more reliably focusing (not by much, but still...).
The 85 1.4G, when I had it, was marred by serious focus shift between ƒ1.4 and ƒ2 onwards, visible even on 12mpixels bodies, which made it hard to fine tune it. Oh, and loved to misfocus too...
Then, the elephants in the room: the 2.8 pro zooms.
In a few years I owned 2 copies of the 24-70, 3 of the 70-200 VR II, and 2 of the 80-200 AFS. They all, to some extent, did show issues.
My best 70-200 VR II was spot on from 80+ to 200mm, and very sharp (even at the dreaded 135mm mark...), but unuseable (on 3 bodies) at 70-80mm, as there it required a completely opposite focus compensation (like +8 in the over 80mm range, -13 in the 70-80mm range; my current one shows less overall variation, but is also quite a bit less sharp, being quite poor between 105 and 135mm).
My 24-70afs both required different af-tune between 24mm and 70mm. So calibrate it for 24, or for 70, or accept a compromise and a bit of sharpness loss. The latter was better. Current 24-70 VR is better behaved, but I picked it out of 4 samples I tested, the other 3 of which did show this issue to varying degrees.

Yes, lots of people will tell "I've never seen/heard anything like this", but this is my experience with multiple bodies lenses, tested even with tripods. And I get to cherry pick my Nikkors in the shop.
Of course, Nikon equipment might just be allergic to me

So, how are my ARTs?
Sometimes they hit, sometimes they don't. Probably faring worse than the best Nikkors (my two best focusing lenses are the 105/1.4 and the 200/2, and even them are perfect 100% of the time), but in the same "acceptable enough" range (yes, I truly want CDAF...).
But there comes the USB dock: they can be fine tuned by distance, which is huge: many lenses, Nikkor included, require different fine tunes for distance, and the Sigma allow for this. It is amazing to see sharp pictures both far and near

I haven't tried the newest D5/500 autofocus, which is said to be better (still own D750/810), and am really curious to see if it brings more reliability for static focusing or not. Perhaps yes, as even the D810 improved things quite a bit vs D4/D800 which I had.

Sorry, just my rant.
The Sigma's are astounding lenses, both in terms of quality, or of quality/price ratio. I own 24/35/50 and 24-35, and while sometimes they give me headaches, they more often than not work as intended, and in many cases, better than the corresponding Nikkors. (I have no data on the newer 1.8G primes generation, which could be much better than the 1.4G).
Are they perfect? Not by a long shot. I've literally just taken the 35 Art and the D810 and shot a few frames (wanted to lend myself some credibility ). Of course, the first one was badly misfocused!
The others were more or less spot on, both far and near, both in house and outside. Live View focusing nets you better results relatively often though. That's just the nature of our autofocus system.
Perfect? no. Acceptable? I'd say yes... unless one is willing to switch to Sony for CDAF focus.

Sorry for the long rant...
Bests,
Lory

Aug 20, 2017 at 05:24 AM
khoido77
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Sigma Art and autofocus accuracy with Nikon?

ilnonno wrote:
I may be a cynical, but I wonder why people don't complain the same – or with similar energy – with regards to Nikon lenses... because honestly, even our highly treasured original Nikkors can have a hard time focusing, it just goes less public.

The 24 1.4G is a very, very hard lens to focus reliably, many find it so, my copy does it too. It's just the nature of the beast.
The 35 1.4G, when I had it, could be considered anything but a focusing champion, especially at a distance, no matter the af fine tune. Sold it when I acquired
...Show more

I can only write from my own experience with a Sigma 35A on my D600. It could be alot better on the D800/E or D810. The 35A was my first 1.4 lens. I wanted the Nikon version but wanted to save some money. It was my 3rd copy I bought from Amazon. Amazon even told me if the 3rd copy was not good enough for me, they would not send me a 4th one. My first copy needed over +20AF adjustment. The second copy had a scratch on the front element so I didnt bother testing AF accuracy. Luckily the 3rd copy was ok and within range to be used with the USB dock but it still had inconsistent AF accuracy. Even worst when used with a Nikon flash. I did like the lens sharpness so I bought an A7R and a Nikon mount adapter to try to use the Sigma manually on the A7R. However, manual focus is much slower than AF especially when trying to nail focus at F1.4 so I gave up on the lens.

Last year, I have bought two Nikkon 1.4 lenses, 24G and 58G. To my surprise (I had thought I would never get good consistency shooting at f1.4) , both are much better in providing consistent results after AF adjustment. I did read about folks having issue with the 24G 1.4 during my time researching about the lens but I did not have a problem with it.

Aug 20, 2017 at 07:54 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Sigma Art and autofocus accuracy with Nikon?

ilnonno wrote:

The 35 1.4G, when I had it, could be considered anything but a focusing champion, especially at a distance, no matter the af fine tune. Sold it when I acquired
...Show more

Yeah, one thing I have really enjoyed on my current Sony A7r2 is that focus is pretty much always spot on with my Sony f1.4 glas shooting wide open since the autofocus is done on the sensor.

But then there are other things that is not so hot like ergonomics and responsiveness, so that is why I'm considering a switch to the D850. Looks about perfect for me, but as you all know, it is about choosing the proper compromise, so I'm doing some research. The D5/D500 autofocus system looks pretty darn good though!

Aug 20, 2017 at 08:35 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Sigma Art and autofocus accuracy with Nikon?

The 35 Art is an excellent lens if you gel with its unique style of rendering. Some shots this afternoon in Pontevedra, Spain.

Aug 20, 2017 at 03:14 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Sigma Art and autofocus accuracy with Nikon?

Sigma art I have are 35, 85 and 135 the Nikon body I use is DF. I had D810 with sigma art 35mm at the same time. I feel D810 give me more reliable AF for sure.

Out of three sigma, 135 give best AF reliability on DF. I do have inconsistency problem with 35 and 85 at tricky condition include confusing with background or at low light condition, af accuracy drop, and most of times they will back focusing.

However, I had similar problem with Nikon AF lens as well say 85 1.8/1.4G, 58mm f1.4G etc.

I feel the most part of AF failure is actually from weak AF engine of DF. The better your lens optically corrected, the more accurate AF will be. That is always the case. That is why 85art focus fast, more snap than 85 1.4G I had and 135 focus like a champion that I never had similar AF speed from 1.4 prime.

In additional to AF, one thing I can say for sure is sigma lens have way better manual focusing feel than any AF Nikon, which mostly come from better build quality IMO. It just feel build more robust and also feel cost more to build. They are all made in Japan and feel like a bargain compare to modern canon Nikon Sony offers at similar optic performance. I like Nikon 1.8g series very much, cheaper, lighter, very functional with good quality but I won't say they offer build quality close to what sigma does.

Aug 20, 2017 at 11:49 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Sigma Art and autofocus accuracy with Nikon?

Been doing some research on the Sigma 135 f1.8 and unanimously testers are saying the 135 is the best performing Art series they've tested as regards AF accuracy, reliability and speed. This is one lens I'd love and might get it to go with the D850 down the track. For the 85mm have no interest in the Sigma, I'd go with the Nikon or more likely will get the Canon 85 f/1.4L IS to be announced this week.

Aug 21, 2017 at 11:28 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Sigma Art and autofocus accuracy with Nikon?

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Been doing some research on the Sigma 135 f1.8 and unanimously testers are saying the 135 is the best performing Art series they've tested as regards AF accuracy, reliability and speed. This is one lens I'd love and might get it to go with the D850 down the track. For the 85mm have no interest in the Sigma, I'd go with the Nikon or more likely will get the Canon 85 f/1.4L IS to be announced this week.

I highly recommend both actually. And they are like twin in term of size, handling, AF speed and rendering. 85 have slightly more CA but let more light in and a little better for low light shooting for aperture and focal length and 135 can blur background more(similar blur to 105E once the subject have about the same magnification. )

For outdoor, 135 will do fine with more blur, and you can zoom with feet for frame, but indoor, I always put 85 instead for better short distance shooting and frame(half body) and also easier for low light shooting.

50% of time for close range shooting, I use manual focusing (a preference for long time as it is the only way give me freedom to compose my shot without worry recompose error or fiddle around AF point to lose moment) and they both very easy to do manual focusing since the lenses are well corrected. All in all, I love them equally.

Aug 22, 2017 at 12:53 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Sigma Art and autofocus accuracy with Nikon?

zhangyue wrote:
I highly recommend both actually. And they are like twin in term of size, handling, AF speed and rendering. 85 have slightly more CA but let more light in and a little better for low light shooting for aperture and focal length and 135 can blur background more(similar blur to 105E once the subject have about the same magnification. )

For outdoor, 135 will do fine with more blur, and you can zoom with feet for frame, but indoor, I always put 85 instead for better short distance shooting and frame(half body) and also easier for low light shooting.

50%
...Show more

Thanks for the feedback, zhangyue!

I'm definitely looking into the Sigma 135mm f/1.8 Art if I move to Nikon D850.

The trio I'm looking at currently is the Nikon 20mm 1.8G, Tamron 35mm 1.8 VC and the Sigma 135 Art. Could be a lot of fun.

Aug 22, 2017 at 02:01 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Sigma Art and autofocus accuracy with Nikon?

zhangyue wrote:

50%
...Show more

Sorry, to me the 85 Art is a ridiculous size and weight for an 85mm, I can't believe it makes a Canon 85 f/1.2L looks puny, I'd much rather have the Canon or Nikon at about 60% of the weight even if less sharp wide open and the Canon will have IS. As it is the lack of IS on the Sigma 135 makes me hesitate, but it's otherwise amazing.

Aug 22, 2017 at 05:05 AM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Sigma Art and autofocus accuracy with Nikon?

Stoffer wrote:
Thanks for the feedback, zhangyue!

I'm definitely looking into the Sigma 135mm f/1.8 Art if I move to Nikon D850.

The trio I'm looking at currently is the Nikon 20mm 1.8G, Tamron 35mm 1.8 VC and the Sigma 135 Art. Could be a lot of fun.

That is sound a very nice system. 35 and then 135 seems a very big gap. 85 many time can be used as 135 with feet but not other way around. If you are not willing to take the size and weight, don't look down 85f1.8G Nikon. I compare it to Art. It about the same sharpness at f2.8 cross frame. and at f1.8 is only a little less sharp than Art at f1.4 at extreme corner. I wouldn't mind that for portrait.
---------------------------------------------

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Sorry, to me the 85 Art is a ridiculous size and weight for an 85mm, I can't believe it makes a Canon 85 f/1.2L looks puny, I'd much rather have the Canon or Nikon at about 60% of the weight even if less sharp wide open and the Canon will have IS. As it is the lack of IS on the Sigma 135 makes me hesitate, but it's otherwise amazing.

I understand. My intention is just let people know that both 85 and 135 are actually almost the same weight and size and have similar IQ. It is not easy to differentiate them if not looking filter size and lettering. So choose each based on your need if you are willing to accept weight and size.

I personally not a big fan for IS for anything below 50mm. I don't mind have it for 135, but 85 I prefer not have it if I can choose so I don't need to pay more for it that weight more (compare doesn;t have it). Being a portrait lens and 80% of usage is for my kids, I don't shoot below 1/125 a speed given current ISO offer I never have problem handhold it at that speed.

85f1.4L should be very nice given all latest Canon L glass are awesome. I hope it will be smaller and lighter than Monstrous Sigma (again, I do like the handling especially for Manual Focus though. so I made my choice).

Aug 22, 2017 at 11:13 AM
Oscarsmadness
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Sigma Art and autofocus accuracy with Nikon?

Pixel Perfect wrote:

I've heard reports that say the 85 Art is as good as the Otus, but with the added benefit of autofocus. I have a feeling that most people who buy the 85 Art are going to be either hardcore Sigma fans or people trying to get as close to Otus as possible without breaking the bank. Size and weight are not going to be relevant for them.

My 85 happens to be the affordable Nikkor 85/1.8D. If I upgrade, I'm either getting the 1.4 G or getting the 105E. I'm not interested in the 85 Art, even though I own the 24 and 35 lenses.

Aug 23, 2017 at 01:07 AM
ahaug
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Sigma Art and autofocus accuracy with Nikon?

I have the sigma 24, 35 and 135 arts and use them along side the nikon 85 1.8g and nikon 60g as my wedding kit. I also have a nikon 70 200 vr1 and a nikon 28 1.8g. I shoot weddings with the d750. I can say this, I never have any af problems with any of my lenses when using center point afs focusing. I am always using center point afs to "get the shoot". When I have more time, I use the outer points. The outer points become hit or miss on all my lenses for tack sharp images. I'm really waiting for the d750 replacement with the d5/d850/d500 af. If I could consistently hit with the outer points with consistency, that would be a game changer for me. I might give in a get the d850 since the d750 replacement is not even in the rumor mills. Anybody with the d850 and the sigma 135 would could chime in with regards to af off center point?

Sep 12, 2018 at 08:45 AM
milkod2001
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Sigma Art and autofocus accuracy with Nikon?

Sigma Art lenses are great value lenses just make sure place you are getting it from has good return policy and get usb dock to make the best of it. You are looking at 2-3 hours to spend calibrating lens, process is fairly easy. Totally worth it.

Sep 13, 2018 at 03:58 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Sigma Art and autofocus accuracy with Nikon?

7 Nikon bodies w/5 Arts...no AF issues, no dock.
Rodeos, bands, grands, wildlife, events. Love 'em.

Sep 13, 2018 at 06:37 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.