New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Some Birds of South Africa

beavens
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Some Birds of South Africa

Hopefully Dave likes these more than poor Lucy the cat.

C&C please!

Jeff

1 - Southern Ground Hornbill

Canon EOS 5DS R    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM +1.4x III lens    560mm    f/8.0    1/125s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

2 - Southern Ground Hornbills (w/ Juvenile)

Canon EOS 5DS R    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM +1.4x III lens    560mm    f/8.0    1/320s    250 ISO    0.0 EV  

3 - European Bee-eater

Canon EOS 5DS R    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM +1.4x III lens    560mm    f/8.0    1/1000s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

4 - White-fronted Bee-eater

Canon EOS 5DS R    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM +1.4x III lens    560mm    f/8.0    1/400s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

5 - Little Bee-eater

Canon EOS 5DS R    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM +1.4x III lens    560mm    f/8.0    1/400s    500 ISO    0.0 EV  

Aug 17, 2017 at 04:27 AM
solarishead
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Some Birds of South Africa

Jeff,

I'm drawn more to the color images with #3 probably being my favorite. I've never worked at the focal lengths you're using for these shots, and I'm not sure what distance you were away from the birds, but it appears that even at f/8 there is a very shallow depth of field. #4 looks out of focus and you tried to save it a bit in post but I could be wrong. #5 would be stronger if the fuzz was removed from his beak and the highlight along the left edge below the branch was brought down a bit.

Regardless nice work with such challenging subjects. Also very impressed you were able to get all the bee -eaters to face to the left.

Mark

Aug 17, 2017 at 11:26 AM
beavens
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Some Birds of South Africa

solarishead wrote:
Jeff,

I'm drawn more to the color images with #3 probably being my favorite. I've never worked at the focal lengths you're using for these shots, and I'm not sure what distance you were away from the birds, but it appears that even at f/8 there is a very shallow depth of field. #4 looks out of focus and you tried to save it a bit in post but I could be wrong. #5 would be stronger if the fuzz was removed from his beak and the highlight along the left edge below the branch was brought down a bit.

Regardless nice
...Show more

Thanks for the feedback, Mark! If you pick up on one thing about me is that I love me some b&w.

Some were at a fair distance - others not a crazy amount away. The key to getting the isolation and shallow DOF is to make sure that you've got enough distance between your subject and the background. Between the 100-400 being at 400mm and the 1.4x TC being employed I was working with f/8 wide open.

#4 is looking a bit rough! Not sure why it's looking so soft now but I'm seeing it as well. #4 does suffer from being overly backlit with an overcast background, which ain't helping anything. In fact all of the color shots are looking a bit weaker as JPGs.

As far as the fuzz on #5 goes I'll have to mull that one over. Even though I know it makes for a bit cleaner shot I kinda dig how it shows how my colorful friend just finished a preening session.

Jeff

Aug 17, 2017 at 11:42 AM
eeneryma
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Some Birds of South Africa

the color ones for me also Jeff, but you know my bias. Beautiful Bokeh on these.

Not sure about your crop on 3 and 4. My own preference is a tighter crop like you have on 5.

Steve

Aug 17, 2017 at 12:48 PM
beavens
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Some Birds of South Africa

eeneryma wrote:
the color ones for me also Jeff, but you know my bias. Beautiful Bokeh on these.

Not sure about your crop on 3 and 4. My own preference is a tighter crop like you have on 5.

Steve

I do know your bias.

Thanks for the comments! I dig the extra space on 3, especially with the lean. Not sure that with 4 apparently being a little soft if it could handle a tighter crop without exacerbating the issue.

Jeff

Aug 17, 2017 at 01:01 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Some Birds of South Africa

The last three for sure, not just for the color, but also because the first two are obscured by grass. The last is my favorite but all three color images are very very good.

Aug 17, 2017 at 01:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

beavens
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Some Birds of South Africa

ben egbert wrote:
The last three for sure, not just for the color, but also because the first two are obscured by grass. The last is my favorite but all three color images are very very good.

Thanks Ben! I actually think that the grass being in the way adds a lot to the feel of the those shots - especially #1. In #2 I think that the hornbills in the grass make the visible one pop even more. Just my thoughts!

I appreciate the comments/feedback as per usual.

Jeff

Aug 17, 2017 at 02:00 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Some Birds of South Africa

Much better than fluffy the walking attitude umm...err... I mean cat.

First Hornbill is kinda sorta working for me but I might remove a little of the blown grass off the bottom. It (the brightness) seems to overpower the shot IMHO.

The Bee-eaters are all very nice with great BG's in 3&5. In order my picks would be 5,3,4.

Nice to know I'm not the only one that doesn't process vac images right away.

Dave

Aug 17, 2017 at 03:24 PM
beavens
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Some Birds of South Africa

lighthound wrote:
Much better than fluffy the walking attitude umm...err... I mean cat.

First Hornbill is kinda sorta working for me but I might remove a little of the blown grass off the bottom. It (the brightness) seems to overpower the shot IMHO.

The Bee-eaters are all very nice with great BG's in 3&5. In order my picks would be 5,3,4.

Nice to know I'm not the only one that doesn't process vac images right away.

Dave

Thanks for the feedback, amigo! Lucy is probably about the same size as Fiona, so....

I could see a little being chopped off from the bottom. I'm cool with the blown/white cause of the contrast with the hornbilll.

You order of picks is the same as I've got.

Ha, yeah normally I'm pretty good about knocking everything out fairly serially. But lately I've come to realize that my personality handles bouncing all over the place vs. forcing myself to finish with a particular set before moving on to the next. This one got way behind and I just now got back around to them. But now that I've been through them all I can go back and knock out the reworks, organize and then put the trip up over at N&W.

Jeff

Aug 17, 2017 at 03:29 PM
DaleBerlin
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Some Birds of South Africa

Wow, these are beautiful. Love the 1st B&W. I normally hate to see burnt out areas in a photo, but I must admit, they work very well here and add to the image IMHO. For me, the last color image stands out because of its crop and its superior light on the bird's head and eye. Beautiful work.

Aug 17, 2017 at 10:03 PM
beavens
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Some Birds of South Africa

DaleBerlin wrote:
Wow, these are beautiful. Love the 1st B&W. I normally hate to see burnt out areas in a photo, but I must admit, they work very well here and add to the image IMHO. For me, the last color image stands out because of its crop and its superior light on the bird's head and eye. Beautiful work.

Thanks a lot for the nice comments, Dale!

Jeff

Aug 20, 2017 at 01:29 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password