New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Badlands and Yellowstone question

MedicineMan404
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Badlands and Yellowstone question

Taking the better half. I've image big animals in Africa/Alaska but the she-boss wants a bison and bear. I told her it should be no problem....just get to Hayden or Lamar early in the morning and sip coffee while we wait.
Me on the other hand, well I'd be most happy with an owl. I've imaged owls in 12 countries but I never ever time of seeing one.
So ....and I realize this is an obtund querry.... in Yellowstone any clues on where the GGs are ? Same for Badlands. We'll have a whole day there hoping for good light in the morning and evening but I'm wondering about owls there?

Aug 17, 2017 at 03:34 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Badlands and Yellowstone question

you'll see them in the tetons as well. Saw a bunch in winter right off the main HWY

Aug 17, 2017 at 03:45 AM
RMC cichlids
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Badlands and Yellowstone question

There use to be a big owls nest in Mammoth by the visitor center but I do not recall seeing them this year but I only drove by once. I was told a few times there is a Great Gray on moose wilson road in the Tetons this was back in May and in late June. I never spotted it the 3 times I drove out there. There are 2 sets of new born cubs (black bear) this year in the Tower area hanging around the bridge and YNP Picnic area. One of the mom's has 2 cinnamon cubes. I put a few pics on my flickr account if you want to check them out.

Aug 17, 2017 at 08:39 AM
MedicineMan404
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Badlands and Yellowstone question

Thanks for the hints.
Kurt you've got a stunning collection! I did check out the twins=very very nice and I noticed you are a lotto winner, wow what luck! We've been in Kanab and lost three times-but as you know always something great to explore in that area.

OK, fingers crossed for an owl in the west.

Aug 17, 2017 at 12:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dalite
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Badlands and Yellowstone question

Robert, the "go-to" guy for Yellowstone would be Rob Prouty from this forum, or Rik Writer. Rob has been there many times (as I have too but he visits more often). You might find a GG at Floating Island lake, near Roosevelt (Rik has some great shots of the GG). A GHO used to nest by the visitor's center in Mammoth.

Aug 17, 2017 at 11:23 PM
Bobg657
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Badlands and Yellowstone question

Robert, go to birding.aba.org and you can get the latest sightings anywhere in the US
Bob

Aug 18, 2017 at 11:45 PM
RMC cichlids
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Badlands and Yellowstone question

MedicineMan404 wrote:
Thanks for the hints.
Kurt you've got a stunning collection! I did check out the twins=very very nice and I noticed you are a lotto winner, wow what luck! We've been in Kanab and lost three times-but as you know always something great to explore in that area.

OK, fingers crossed for an owl in the west.

Thank you for your kind words. No lotto winner here, scratched my head for a moment till I figured out you meant the wave lotto lol. Yea I was very lucky to have been out there but it was a friends luck who got me there. Forgot to mention I spotted 399 and her 2 cubs between Pilgrim creek and the dump road a few times when I last visited the Tetons at the end of June.

Also you can check out http://yellowstone.net/forums not as much activity as there use to be but you might get an idea in the trip report section of any recent activity.

Aug 19, 2017 at 04:36 AM
dalite
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Badlands and Yellowstone question

Also you can check out http://yellowstone.net/forums not as much activity as there use to be but you might get an idea in the trip report section of any recent activity.

______

Indeed activity has slowed down at this site (BTW, they have a new web page design). I'd say they used to be -- and maybe still is -- THE place for Yellowstone National Park wildlife information.

Aug 22, 2017 at 06:18 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password