Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Tips Needed on Shooting Golf Tournament!

Bobg657
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tips Needed on Shooting Golf Tournament!

I've volunteered to help a non-profit by shooting their annual golf tournament, and realize I'm totally unprepared (think first, act later?) I'm very comfortable shooting wildlife but this will be new for me.

As this will be mostly in harsh daylight, am I correct I should use off camera fill flash? I'm a total flash newbie, what flash units/settings might be best? Shooting with an OMD EM1.2 as my primary camera.

Any other tips would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Bob

Aug 16, 2017 at 06:13 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tips Needed on Shooting Golf Tournament!

Hey Bob - I have never shot a sporting event before but I would think that flash is a No No, especially if you are shooting the players. Besides, you should have no trouble opening the shadows in post if you have to. Shoot any action in sequential anti-shock mode rather than silent mode to avoid any rolling shutter effect.

You might also want to reach out to Jordon Steele aka Jman13. He has shot many golfing events with his Olympus, Fuji and probably Sony camera.

Aug 16, 2017 at 07:34 PM
Bobg657
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tips Needed on Shooting Golf Tournament!

Thanks Bobby, most shots will probably be posed group shots of foursomes, and my assumption which may not be correct is people want the images quickly so jpeg might make sense. I will reach out to Jordan to get the real scoop though!

Thanks again,
Bob

Aug 16, 2017 at 07:58 PM
Bobg657
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tips Needed on Shooting Golf Tournament!

Bobby, I PM'd Jordan and he was very helpful, thanks for the suggestion!

Aug 16, 2017 at 10:07 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tips Needed on Shooting Golf Tournament!

Yes, Jordan is very helpful. Check out some of his golf images:

http://www.jsteelephotos.com/golfgrid/

Aug 16, 2017 at 10:31 PM
millsart
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tips Needed on Shooting Golf Tournament!

We need far more details to help. Are you hired to shoot just a posed group shot which will be provided to the participants, or are you shooting action, a mix of both etc

I've covered golf for about 15 years, everything from PGA tour events to NCAA and high school tournaments, to charity events, and what is allowable and acceptable totally varies.

PGA tour is like walking on eggshells, no shooting during backswings, no moving while player is reading greens, watch out for tv camera line of sight, don't annoy paying fans in the gallery by blocking their view, don't walk in another photographers shot, don't walk in the fairway etc etc

Other events players could care less if your shooting away while they swing, but you might get the weekend warrior who thinks himself a pga pro and acts like a diva

For the most part you should have good natured people, helping support a charity and looking for fun.

Most helpful tool is a software which can show you direction of the sun and time of day. Overlay that on a map of the course and see what holes have good light. You don't want to be shooting from the tee box with the sun facing you, you'll have nothing but silouettes.

Generally there will be a few holes with good light and nice background such as a lake. There will also be some with houses, roads etc which are to be avoided

I've found that adults really don't have much interest in action shots of themselves. A 50 year old man doesn't want to see his beer belly hanging out as he's addressing a putt on the green. Parents buy that stuff of kids but adult action photography, short of finish line shots in races has little demand

For it were up to me if focus on a nice posed shot of each group, ideally at the start of the round, unless it's a shotgun start. It can be hard to pose groups mid round if they are behind the pace, and after 18 people want to hit the bar, restroom etc, not get a photo

Ideally you will have some signage you can use. Maybe even ask sponsor to put up a banner near the clubhouse or something. You can get then pose a nice foursome shot with signage and something distinct like the clubhouse or 18th green in the background. Makes for a nice commemorative photo for those who partook in the day, and because you focused on composition, will look better than just random iPhone pics

Best of luck

Aug 17, 2017 at 09:31 AM
Bobg657
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tips Needed on Shooting Golf Tournament!

Millsart, wonderful info, thanks for posting this. I copied the golf committee with your suggestions, we'll see what comes of it!

Aug 17, 2017 at 04:21 PM
millsart
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tips Needed on Shooting Golf Tournament!

Bobg657 wrote:
Millsart, wonderful info, thanks for posting this. I copied the golf committee with your suggestions, we'll see what comes of it!

That is usually the smartest possible thing you can do, ask the people who are in charge what they want! lol

You can get great advice on a ton of photographic approaches, and I'm sure pull any of them off quite well, but if you turn in a burned DVD to them with a bunch of posed portraits and they actually wanted someone to capture candids of guys sitting in the carts, joking around etc, they might not be pleased, and vice versa.

Whenever I did weddings, I always specifically outlined, in writing, what type of shots the couple wanted, a specific shot list "must have's", a general photographic style, and I also provided some illustrative sample photos of that type of shooting.

So that way if I'm hired to do a photo-journalistic style wedding, and the bride says she wants no posed stuff day of, and I've clearly defined examples of that style and what will not be included, they can't turn around and try to sue me saying they paid me a bunch of money and didn't get any posed traditional photos with the bride and grooms families.

Obviously your just volunteering your time and talents, so they can't complain too much, but fact remains its a good idea to ask, and also to find a few samples on-line and even say "your thinking something like this, right?" and they will say, yes or maybe "oh no, we don't want anything like that at all, I'm glad you showed me that in advance" lol

Regardless, don't sweat it too much. These days pretty much any shot can be salvaged to where it will at least look decent on web size, which is how most stuff is viewed, and short of other photographers, people viewing your work really aren't going to notice things like noise levels, color balance, if the blacks are 'crushed' or if you needed to open the shadows up etc.

Aug 17, 2017 at 08:45 PM
Bobg657
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tips Needed on Shooting Golf Tournament!

Thanks again, wise counsel! Part of the problem is there's a committee involved, hopefully your prior post will prompt some discussion. Fwiw, I'm on board of the organization so they can't complain too much!

Aug 17, 2017 at 09:02 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.