3       end

Fuji 90 or 50-140

corposant
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Fuji 90 or 50-140

Just portraits? 90mm.
Just events? 50-140mm.
Both, but can't afford both lenses? 50-140mm by a nose.

FYI: The 90mm isn't a small lens, but it feels a lot smaller compared to the zoom.

Aug 19, 2017 at 08:10 PM
Nate71LB
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Fuji 90 or 50-140

I personally LOVE the output of my 90mm...but I don't use it as much as I would like. My 56mm gets a lot more usage because the 90mm is just too long most of the time.

Aug 27, 2017 at 05:42 AM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Fuji 90 or 50-140

I am not a big fan of the 90/2. There are much less expensive 135/2.8 options available with a speedbooster. While it is definitely a sharp lens, sharpness is not something I highly value in portraits. It makes for much more work in PP for me.

I would choose the 50-140/2.8 every time. Now, if and when they make a 90/1.4......

Aug 27, 2017 at 10:01 AM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Fuji 90 or 50-140

One of the features on FM I find useful is the EXIF Gallery located on the nav menu above. There you can select FujiFilm, Your X Camera, and any lens you want to see images that body/lens combo produced, from anything posted to FM with EXIF intact....it's a great way to see what others have done with the body/combo you are considering....

Tip: The lenses are in the "X" part of the list.....

Aug 30, 2017 at 02:01 AM
dmldl123
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Fuji 90 or 50-140

If you have to pick just one lens maybe the 50-140. Remember you could always use the TC on this lens for more length but you canít on the 90.

As stated, the 90 isnít small per say but itís smaller and lighter than the 50-140. I have both but I prefer the 90 most of the time for portraits and even walking around shooting. My travel kit is an xt2, 10-24, 35/2 and 90/2

Sep 14, 2017 at 03:33 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Fuji 90 or 50-140

It is a classic question. One answer is: The 90mm lens is better at 90mm, and the 50-140 is better at all other focal lengths.

That sounds flippant, but it recognizes that you have no choice but to make a trade between a (slight) IQ improvement and the greater flexibility of the zoom.

I use the zoom ó†it is the right choice for me ó†and it is a really fine lens.

Dan

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:20 PM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Fuji 90 or 50-140

The 90mm is a superb lens but it has limitations if you want to use it inside. At 135mm FOV I find I run out of space often, whereas with the 50-140 I have a lot of leeway. Yes it is f/2.8 but with OIS I find it great even at 1/15 sec when needed. More importantly if you are doing portraits with the 50-140 outside you can achieve the same compression as the 90 by just increasing your FL. The 1.4 TC works superbly in combo with the 50-140/2.8.

The other aspect is with the 90 I find I have to crop often whereas with the 50-140 I can frame the shot. This alone saves in the IQ particularly at higher ISO settings. Generally your ISO settings will be about 2 stops less with 50-140 unless you are trying to freeze motion.

I have always found the 135mm effective FL a specialty lens, but I do love it. My typical usage of the 90 is about 5-10%. My issue is that I cannot just leave the 90 on the camera without taking other lenses whereas with the 50-140 I can.

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:35 PM
jrscls
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Fuji 90 or 50-140

I am new to Fuji, but as a portrait shooter, I bought the 90 to compliment the 56. If I ever do any more weddings, I will rent or buy the 50-140.

For portraits, I opted for the smaller, lighter and faster 90 for my purposes as I'm trying to get away from big and heavy lenses. I'm looking at the 90 as a baby 135 L from my Canon days.

Sep 15, 2017 at 02:04 AM
jigesh
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Fuji 90 or 50-140

jrscls wrote:
.....For portraits, I opted for the smaller, lighter and faster 90 for my purposes as I'm trying to get away from big and heavy lenses....

For the very same reasons, I too opted for 90mm f2. I am more than impressed with the lens I should add. My techniques are far from "proper" but I don't recollect any out-of-focus or blurry images and sometimes feel "lack of OIS" concerns are somewhat overly-expressed. However, these things are so personal, the OP may want to rent both and try out.

Sep 15, 2017 at 11:08 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Fuji 90 or 50-140

the 90 handles as was the promise imagined of this new lighter system . The zoom is an abomination which one has to endure and pretend handles well, designed for the focally insecure who have small room in which they can't back up in or feel confused on the concept of backing up.

I exaggerate, of course.

The zoom is more phallic of course, if you need or want that sort of thing.

Man, I just can't stop this exaggeration thing. But the kernel of truth ... is lurking in the shadows.

Sep 16, 2017 at 09:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

millsart
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Fuji 90 or 50-140

Pavel wrote:
the 90 handles as was the promise imagined of this new lighter system . The zoom is an abomination which one has to endure and pretend handles well, designed for the focally insecure who have small room in which they can't back up in or feel confused on the concept of backing up.

I exaggerate, of course.

The zoom is more phallic of course, if you need or want that sort of thing.

Man, I just can't stop this exaggeration thing. But the kernel of truth ... is lurking in the shadows.

One could also say the 90/2 handles well, takes up no space in the bag, and the lack of OIS is a non-issue, because its sitting on the shelf left at home 99% of the time

In all seriousness, the 90/2 is one of the very best lenses I never actually seem to take photos with. Bought it, sold it, bought it again, sold it again. Not because there was anything wrong with it, but because I just wasn't carrying it, or when I did throw it into the bag, it didn't get used, which then made me start to not carry it, which then made me think I should just sell it.....

To some degree I can say the same about a lens like the 56/1.2, which I've gone through the same process with as well, however, the 56/1.2 proves just enough more versatile, smaller, and easier to work with indoors to keep a spot on my shelf, and occasionally actually get used

In all seriousness, if I was actively working as a photographer and doing portrait sessions, weddings etc on a weekly basis, I'd for sure still own the 90/2, because it is a great lens. Its just a very specific tool, that IMO, one really needs a purpose for.

Sep 16, 2017 at 09:42 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Fuji 90 or 50-140

millsart wrote:
One could also say the 90/2 handles well, takes up no space in the bag, and the lack of OIS is a non-issue, because its sitting on the shelf left at home 99% of the time

In all seriousness, the 90/2 is one of the very best lenses I never actually seem to take photos with. Bought it, sold it, bought it again, sold it again. Not because there was anything wrong with it, but because I just wasn't carrying it, or when I did throw it into the bag, it didn't get used, which then made me start to
...Show more

Yes, I've been down the same road with several lenses in my time. Logic often does not work. You bring up a good point but one that is hard to know until one goes down that way themselves, and of course how one winds up using lenses, using their own preferences is what matters most. It seems to also sometimes change over time. I've most often found myself leaving the zooms on the shelf myself. But it has to be said that it's not for the logical reasons that I quote but rather that in short time I get my head around a prime lens, but not so much when it comes to zooms. I think most others are different from me and so I guess it goes to what we all know to be true in the end. You can't pick a wife nor a friend by the spec sheet - and neither a lens. It's all so personal that it makes asking the "which is better" question, a perennial favorite on forums, completely silly, except as a fun exercise which should not be taken seriously.

Sep 16, 2017 at 10:42 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Fuji 90 or 50-140

Pavel wrote:
Yes, I've been down the same road with several lenses in my time. Logic often does not work. You bring up a good point but one that is hard to know until one goes down that way themselves, and of course how one winds up using lenses, using their own preferences is what matters most. It seems to also sometimes change over time. I've most often found myself leaving the zooms on the shelf myself. But it has to be said that it's not for the logical reasons that I quote but rather that in short time I get my
...Show more

I completely agree that these choices are subjective and personal, so I wouldn't try to tell anyone that one of the options (90mm or 50-140mm) is the best one.

I will share a personal experience though. For a long time I had the excellent Canon 135mm f/2L lens, and I used it on full frame bodies starting with the 5D. It was and is a beautiful lens ó†optically excellent, reliable, and a generally fine performer. I often used it for event photography, but I also carried it along for landscape work back when I went into the field with as many as 9 lenses.

Eventually, for a project I was working on, I got the current version of the 70-200mm f/2.8L. Over time, even though I had the 135mm f/2 in my bag along with the 70-200mm f/2.8, I found myself taking out the prime less and less often. It turned out that the zoom is also an excellent optical performer, and the one-stop advantage of the prime was not significant enough to persuade me to take it out.

I eventually sold the prime and I haven't missed it.

The Fujifilm 50-140mm f/2.8 on the 1.5x cropped sensor Fujifilm bodies is very equivalent to the 70-200mm f/2.8L lens on full frame Canon bodies. Likewise, the 90mm f/2 is functionally very similar to the Canon 135mm f/2. The 50-140mm is a really good performer, and in most cases you won't see any differences (even at 90mm) by comparison to the prime, at least not other than the effect of the one additional stop.

Sep 16, 2017 at 11:36 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Fuji 90 or 50-140

While it would make things even bigger/heavier and more expensive, I'd really love for something like a 90mm f1.4 (I loved the Nikon 105mm f1.4) because a lens like that would give a fair bit more subject isolation and warrant enough (IMO) advantages over the 50-140 zoom to perhaps own and/or carry both.

As it stands, the 90 and 50-140 don't look worlds apart, and frankly I couldn't tell you if an image was shot by which in a blind test, both are quite good.

Take the 18-55 vs the 18/2 for example, I certainly like the 18/2 for its smaller size, and it does render nicely, but is the f2 vs f2.8 for the zoom at 18mm a real factor ? Not for me honestly

Instead, if I'm reaching for a prime, I'd rather go for the 16/1.4 or 23/1.4, because those are able to provide a significantly different rendering and subject isolation than what a zoom gives at f2.8.

As such, bring on the 33mm f1.0, the 90mm f1.4, the 200mm f2.0 and more. I'll be happy to buy them, and I'll be happy to use them as additional tools along tried and true f2.8 zooms

Sep 17, 2017 at 01:33 AM
jrscls
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Fuji 90 or 50-140

A 90 f/1.4 would be more compelling to replace the 135 L that I loved for portraits when shooting full frame Canon. For me, the 90 f/2 prime gets me close to the look of a 70-200 f/2.8 at 135 wide open on full frame, in a much smaller package.

However, the zoom is more or less equivalent (same DOF) to a 70-200 f/4 on full frame. It's all about compromises and the purpose of the lens. It seems like both lenses are excellent, so I may just end up with both at some point.

Sep 17, 2017 at 02:19 AM
Steezus
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Fuji 90 or 50-140

gdanmitchell wrote:
The 50-140mm is a really good performer, and in most cases you won't see any differences (even at 90mm) by comparison to the prime, at least not other than the effect of the one additional stop.

The bokeh and weight are the reasons that I am currently looking for a 90. The 90 is one of those lenses that has special bokeh that people are willing to pay for. The weight savings is pretty hard to discount as well. Now that I am selling all my full frame gear, I'm really looking forward to how light my kit will now be!

Sep 17, 2017 at 03:16 AM
akin_t
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Fuji 90 or 50-140

I would imagine that at 90mm I'd want some sort of image stabilization; not all of us shoot in studio situations.

I personally find the 50-140mm too big, I get self conscious carrying around huge lenses in public as I'm not a paid professional.

Sep 17, 2017 at 06:36 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Fuji 90 or 50-140

Its all rather relative I suppose. I was used to DSLR glass, so a 70-200 f2.8 on my Nikons was actually about a 4lb lenses. The Fuji 50-140 is much smaller/lighter than I was used to carrying, and is more akin to the "light and compact" 70-200 f4 version I also purchases for my Nikon kit when I wanted a "compact" solution for hiking lol

I personally found the 90/2 to be a rather "large" lenses relatively speaking. Compared to the likes of the 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 23/1.4 et al., its fairly long and heavy. Its a moderate length telephoto, and fast, so no getting around it having at least a bit of length.

Sep 17, 2017 at 08:30 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Fuji 90 or 50-140

I"m not sure if this is of any significance to others, but I often value this. The close focus of the 50-140 zoom is a pretty good 3.28 feet and the 90 has a somewhat better 1.97 foot minimum focus distance. When it comes to maximum magnification the zoom is .12 while the prime takes you further with a .2 magnification. Neither is a macro, but I value the max mag more than most because it influences the depth of field alongside with the aperture. so things like leaves or sheaves of wheat really get more isolation when you factor both details in.

The other thing I look for is how a lens handles flare as well as star points a deep apertures. I like a bit of veiled flare softening the image and giving a dreamy quality but without intrusive reflections off of the elements. On that score, I don't know how these two compare or contrast but it would influence my decision making a bit.

At the prime being just over 4" and the zoom just under 7" and just over a pound more - factoring in the versatility of the zoom - I could definitely see having both lenses at the same time if I could see - more in my back account.

Sep 17, 2017 at 08:52 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Fuji 90 or 50-140

The 90/2 certainly wouldn't compare with the new 80mm dedicated macro lens, but for less than serious enthusiast uses it works quite well. Very good close focusing ability and excellent across the frame sharpness and next to zero distortion.

X-T2    XF90mmF2 R LM WR lens    90mm    f/5.6    1/3000s    200 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Sep 17, 2017 at 09:34 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password