New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Fuji 90 or 50-140

photomedic4321
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fuji 90 or 50-140

Outside of the no OIS on the 90, it looks like a killer lens. So, if you were shooting portraits, 90F2 or 50-140? Any thoughts would be great and an example or two of why you chose what you did? Thanks all! Really excited I am no longer handicapped by the flash system and can really start doing portraits with my fuji the way I want to!

Aug 16, 2017 at 08:11 PM
JLRII

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fuji 90 or 50-140

I usually prefer the aesthetic of primes over zooms for portraiture. In this case, I'd likely pick the 90mm.
Looking at images shot with the 50-140mm, it's not bad at all, but I'm not a fan of the cat's eye bokeh towards the edges of the frames when shot wide open.

Aug 16, 2017 at 08:24 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fuji 90 or 50-140

I shot with a used 90 for a half hour, mostly to test it's performance in IR and was more impressed with it than any other Fuji lens. It's excellent - a lens destined for legendary status, and among the best lenses for infra red up to F11, which is a big deal to a few such as myself. Outside of IR, it's peerless, just the same. I should have bought it. Ahh, life and it's regrets.

Of note is the fact that the lens is very compact, much more so than the online photos led me to imagine. I really dislike a system with a small body and a huge lens, kind of like a large tube with a postage stamp, and the zoom, while loved by many, tends to cross that line for me with any body but the X-T1 or 2 where it become ok, but only if the extra grip is used.

No doubt that both are fine lenses, but in my book, the 90, along with the 16 are the two most lust worthy lenses on this planet right now, if not the solar system (though I have not fully verified the whole milky-way as of yet )

Aug 16, 2017 at 09:12 PM
Edward Castro
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fuji 90 or 50-140

I prefer the render of my 90mm to the 50-140mm. I only use the 50-140 sparingly due to weight and size. I normally take my 16mm, 18-55 mm & 90mm when I go out.

Aug 16, 2017 at 09:23 PM
prosumerhacks
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fuji 90 or 50-140

Fuji 90 is a sublime piece of kit. I felt that 50-140 is more of a sports/action lens. YMMV.

Aug 16, 2017 at 10:01 PM
rdeloe
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fuji 90 or 50-140

The Fuji 90/2 is sharp right out the gate from f/2. It's not what I would call "small", but it's a good fit for the X-T2. I briefly tried the 50-140. It is an excellent lens and the OIS is nice, but the constant buzzing noise made by the OIS system bugged me! Plus I prefer primes.

I see 90/2 lenses on the Buy and Sell quite often. I think a lot of people buy it and then don't use it much after the initial excitement fades.

Aug 16, 2017 at 11:14 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fuji 90 or 50-140

Depends on a lot of variables, such as if your shooting outdoors or in an indoor space. The 90 can be a bit long indoors, whereas the zoom can allow you to zoom out when you can't back up.

Lighting also plays a big factor. The 50-140 has an amazing OIS system, while the 90 obviously doesn't. You can't really ignore this issue because I found the 90 to be very shakey, for my handholding ability. I mainly shoot wider or maybe a 35/1.4, so for me, 135mm equiv is way more reach than I'm used to and it certainly shows up in the viewfinder. I tried to shoot mine at 1/250th or faster whenver I could. The 50-140 I could shot at 1/40th easily, though sometimes subject motion is a factor.

In a studio or bright sunlight, its a null issue, but if your trying to do natural light portraits you might have to bump the ISO on the 90 a bit, even though it is a stop faster.

I didn't notice a huge difference in overall rendering either, 90 is a touch better, being faster, but the 50-140 actually delivers a pretty nice performance.

I ultimately bought and sold the 90/2 twice over. Its a very good lens, but I just didn't use it very often.

Indoors I was grabbing the 56/1.2, and outdoors, I tended to go for the versatility, and stabilization of the 50-140. 90 was just a bit big/heavy to toss into the bag for walk around shooting

If and when 90mm is the correct FoV it produces stellar images, but its a very niche lens IMO.

Not that there is anything wrong with that, but even used its like $700 invested, so for that type of money you want to have something your willing to carry, and ideally get a fair bit of use from.

Only real correct answer though is to try it yourself. Buy one used and you can turn around and sell it for what you paid for it if you end up not getting enough use out of it. They seem to come up for sale fairly often

Aug 16, 2017 at 11:32 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fuji 90 or 50-140

Those with Engineer brains, those who love numbers, will go for the zoom.

Those on the Artistic side of the left/right divide, will go for the 90, and "get" that convenience is "over-rated"

But the,n those with Engineer mind-sets, have already gone to the Sony camp. The numbers and convenience are just "so there". Fuji takes understanding that the sum of all parts is sometimes not just dry numbers, or the ability to not move one's feet.

Which are you?

Aug 17, 2017 at 01:06 AM
Poefolk

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fuji 90 or 50-140

I recently picked up the 90/2 from an FM'er here. LOVE the lens. I'm not used to shooting at longer focal lengths, but after shooting with it for about a day, I was able to get beautiful, sharp results. I kept the shutter speed around 1/250 or 1/320.

I've been debating on whether or not to add the 50-140, but trying to justify needing them both is a little hard.

The 90/2 has definitely met or exceeded my expectations though.

Aug 17, 2017 at 01:22 AM
liggy
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fuji 90 or 50-140

@Pavel -

Errr... both. I'm not an engineer but I do work for an engineering company.

Different lenses for different jobs.

90 for portraits. 50-140 for events and sports.

Aug 17, 2017 at 01:42 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

brian_f2.8
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fuji 90 or 50-140

photomedic4321 wrote:
Outside of the no OIS on the 90, it looks like a killer lens. So, if you were shooting portraits, 90F2 or 50-140? Any thoughts would be great and an example or two of why you chose what you did? Thanks all! Really excited I am no longer handicapped by the flash system and can really start doing portraits with my fuji the way I want to!

If your main focus is portraits, go with the 90mm f2. If you want portraits AND cover events, the 50-140 will do both. The 90 is ok for events but the extra 50mm and OIS are worth it

Aug 17, 2017 at 02:08 AM
photomedic4321
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fuji 90 or 50-140

I am concerned because these hands aren't getting any younger. I really appreciate all the thought on this but am starting to wonder if the OIS lens is good enough for what I need. I do portraits but also events but am certainly more artistic than engineer.....dont quite get that whole diatribe.

Aug 17, 2017 at 02:12 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Fuji 90 or 50-140

photomedic4321 wrote:
I am concerned because these hands aren't getting any younger. I really appreciate all the thought on this but am starting to wonder if the OIS lens is good enough for what I need. I do portraits but also events but am certainly more artistic than engineer.....dont quite get that whole diatribe.

get the zoom. You will be happy with the doff, its not too bad, and there's no need to overthink the diatribe, artist that you are. Old hands need OIS, though my Olympus gear gives me that with every lens. Have you considered switching?

Aug 17, 2017 at 02:23 AM
Mike Tuomey
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Fuji 90 or 50-140

If you'll be in 1/250 light or better all the time, get the 90. If not, get the zoom.

I have both, shoot live music and events, use the zoom 10:1. OIS is outstanding.

Aug 17, 2017 at 03:01 AM
photomedic4321
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Fuji 90 or 50-140

No. I am not a huge Olympus fan. I love the Fuji stuff and just really enjoy working with it. Yes, it would be nice if every lens you mounted was stabilized but such is life. Not a lot of Olympus stuff at my favorite camera store either and I am pretty loyal to them. Thanks Pavel.

Aug 17, 2017 at 03:05 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Fuji 90 or 50-140

I will say Pavel speaks the truth regarding the Olympus gear, or at least the newer stuff

I got an EM1.2 and the 12-100 recently and the IBIS combined with the OIS gives a rated 6.5 stops of handholding ability. At the wider end, 24mm equiv, I can handhold sharp shots at crazy speeds like 5 seconds....

I still really like my XT2, and Fuji colors, but there is some unique stuff you can do with the Olympus system such as handheld waterfalls, light trails etc, without ever needing a tripod

Aug 17, 2017 at 04:15 AM
photomedic4321
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Fuji 90 or 50-140

I'm sure, I just don't have the money or the inclination to learn another system and switch. Locked in to Nikon/Fuji

Aug 17, 2017 at 04:24 AM
Alanu
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Fuji 90 or 50-140

photomedic4321 wrote:

If you read blogs or reviews you'll often hear comments of contrasty bokeh in some situations from a 50-140. This is where folks seem to love the long 90mm prime as bokeh is extremely eye pleasing.

Flash systems are expanding for Fuji. I do find it really depends on your application. Remote flash in soft boxes is entirely different from lightstands with bare speedlights (w/ triggers or tranceiver flash units) surrounding a venue during the the evening of dance/festivities. Fill/key/backlight flash is quite different than the flashburst photos you'll get from a mirrorless fuji. I feel Fuji does fine with studio softbox setups but so far my 10-24mm or 16mm flash bursts do not have that nice distinct clean look from my mirrored body lenses I use.

Aug 17, 2017 at 07:44 AM
photomedic4321
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Fuji 90 or 50-140

What flash system re you using? Godox/Flashpoint has really stepped up their game. I already have a R2 Mini that acts as a radio controller and by Saturday I expect to have my dedicated remote.

Robb

Aug 17, 2017 at 12:53 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Fuji 90 or 50-140

I think Alanu put one point into perspective well, that I did not think of. There is a very different "feel" which is hard to measure and describe. That is the wonderfully "soft" but sharp rendering of the 90 (and the 56) versus the wonderfully clear and vivid sort of sharpness that the zoom has. At least I think those adjectives may sort of get it into the ballpark.

There is a difference, but neither lens has it over the other in any "real" sort of way. So the best thing is to stop asking us and go get both.

outside of the merits of the way each leaves its mark on the image there are the other sort of personal day to day factors to consider, I think. I'm biased towards primes myself. The reasons for it is that I now like to be less conspicuous that before and a large lens draws attention, for good or bad. I've actually been waved through security at political and sporting events due to what I think was that those manning the checkpoint just assumed I was with the media because of the gear. I'm sure that my fully capable but human scale EM-1 and the macro 60 would have not had the same effect. But mostly I don't want attention. And I have been approached several times and grilled by the police for the same reason. So it depends on how you feel.

I also find I learn to predict a primes performance such as framing and flare etc better than a zoom, which tend to be much more complex sometimes and I don't seem to ever get my head around a zoom the same way, even after months of use. Some of course don't care, they discover the scene through the viewfinder - and that is so much more doable with todays EVIL systems, that perhaps my preferences are simply another indicator of my anachronistic state.

Todays systems and technology spoils us. How rough the times we live in, when one can hardly make a bad choice.

In fact I'd be fine if progress slowed down now, if they would shift "focus" and get me the upgrades I really need. A drop in module for more capacity on the artists' side of the brain and eyeball upgrades, please.

Aug 17, 2017 at 01:44 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password