New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Merge Layer or Flatten Image

mysh
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Merge Layer or Flatten Image

I was wondering if doing a merge layers instead of flatten image is less destructive when wanting to continue to work on an image.

I'm not great at doing multiple blends at the same time, I end up causing problems with blends getting in the way of other blends so I normally will flatten the image and then bring in the next image I want to blend with. I know doing this causes deterioration. Would doing a merge of the layers instead of flatten prevent deterioration?

Aug 16, 2017 at 07:19 PM
Ho1972
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Merge Layer or Flatten Image

I do a Stamp Visible (Shift+Ctrl+Alt+E) which creates a unified (merged) copy layer of all layers below it; then I continue to work on the merged layer. If I make a wrong turn, all my work prior to merging is still intact, untouched. As far as being destructive, I don't think it matters. If it does, you can always select all the layers and create a Smart Object.

Aug 16, 2017 at 10:37 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Merge Layer or Flatten Image

Well, the question is whether one is more destructive than the other. That answer is, is that if you've only got the two layers, there's no difference whether you merge or flatten. While Ho's suggestion is great, it also sound like it may confuse you at this point. A better plan in the long run might be to take some classes to get more comfortable with all aspects of using layers. Once you do that, you'll be off and running to places you never dreamed possible. Good luck.

Aug 17, 2017 at 07:06 AM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Merge Layer or Flatten Image

I too use Stamp Visible, on a Mac it is Shift+Command+Option+E. Covers ones behind if you need to adjust one of the merged layers.

Aug 17, 2017 at 06:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mysh
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Merge Layer or Flatten Image

Thanks alot for the info. I actually tried the stamp visible last night and I definitely see that being my method going forward. It is exactly what I was hoping for.

Aug 17, 2017 at 08:47 PM
Ho1972
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Merge Layer or Flatten Image

Cool. It's one of those things that can really change the way you work. Layer masks are another (what a revelation that was). Have fun.

Aug 17, 2017 at 10:07 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Merge Layer or Flatten Image

I've worked in layers for 25 years and always flatten all layers into one and save that as another file for print or to make assorted jpegs.. There is no deterioration. Where did that come from?

Aug 18, 2017 at 01:20 AM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Merge Layer or Flatten Image

Jeffrey, it may have come from PS not always rendering multiple layers correctly on one's display. I have found with certain blend modes, filters, and pushing images drastically with curves, etc. the the image one sees on one's display can be far from what it really should look like.

Zooming in to 100% (and more) appears to correct this phenomenon. There are times when I work on an image with multiple layers and then do an image copy, merging layers and continuing edits on the new version. This may be repeated a number of times. In order to save the work and all the steps, I then copy all the added layers from the new versions back to the original, keeping the one master, so only having one file to deal with, but with all steps saved within it.

Aug 18, 2017 at 02:19 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password