New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Eclipse

quigsby

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Eclipse

Hi all, getting ready for St. Louis this weekend. Just tested out my Seymore Solar filter for the 500mm F/4. This shot was with the 1DXII, 1000mm F/8 @ 1/200 iso 100, 2XIII. I caught some sunspots on the lower left. Real tricky getting focus and stability. Didn't realize Id be almost standing on my head. Do you think I'm on the right track? Any tips?

Aug 16, 2017 at 04:27 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Eclipse

I don't have much experience shooting the sun, but that looks fine to me.

Aug 16, 2017 at 11:13 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Eclipse

Make sure you can take the filter off quickly.
Some people recommend putting a sheet over your head to help with glare so you can focus more easily.
I'd just use the 500mm bare. It's easier to frame and you'll be able to catch more corona which extends way beyond the 500mm fov. Without a tracker, the sun moves very quickly across the frame. What are you using for a mount?

Aug 17, 2017 at 04:41 AM
tntcorp
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Eclipse

why would you be nearly on your head if the setup is on a tripod? just get a chair and sit down... use liveview to frame and focus... looking fwd to see your images of the sun's corona and solar flares during totality... :')

Aug 17, 2017 at 04:52 AM
quigsby

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Eclipse

I did use live view, I was exaggerating about upside down, and I will use a seat then look up from there. This shot was standing and even my long tripod legs put me at a neck bending angle, so ill practice a couple more times.Using a Gimbal head for sure. Oh yea a dark throw works too, otherwise even the little light coming around it interferes with getting the focus right.

Aug 17, 2017 at 01:40 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password