New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2017 · Cheap new 200D in the UK

dhphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cheap new 200D in the UK

Just bought one, arrives tomorrow, cheaper than anywhere else I've seen and have bought from them many times before:

http://www.ebuyer.com/search?q=200d

Naturally I have no personal connection with the company and our US friends will laugh that this is a good deal, but it is over here!

Aug 16, 2017 at 03:36 AM
edean
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cheap new 200D in the UK

Ebuyer are good, I've bought lots of computer parts from them over the years. That is a good Price for the UK.

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/Canon/Canon-Digital-SLRs/Canon-EOS-200D-Camera-Body

Let us know how you get on with it. I'm thinking of getting one as a cheap landscape camera while I wait for the next round of full frames to drop the prices on the used market.

Aug 16, 2017 at 04:30 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cheap new 200D in the UK

edean wrote:
Ebuyer are good, I've bought lots of computer parts from them over the years. That is a good Price for the UK.

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/Canon/Canon-Digital-SLRs/Canon-EOS-200D-Camera-Body

Let us know how you get on with it. I'm thinking of getting one as a cheap landscape camera while I wait for the next round of full frames to drop the prices on the used market.

My thoughts exactly
It's on one day delivery so hopefully it will be here tomorrow
They now only have five in stock so if you want one...

Aug 16, 2017 at 04:40 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cheap new 200D in the UK

As compared to the US list price, there are no deals right now I can find that puts the price under that. In fact it seems like retailers here are having issues keeping just the body only package in inventory. Seemingly no negative press about this camera over the other one that was released at the same time.

Aug 16, 2017 at 02:54 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cheap new 200D in the UK

TeamSpeed wrote:
As compared to the US list price, there are no deals right now I can find that puts the price under that. In fact it seems like retailers here are having issues keeping just the body only package in inventory. Seemingly no negative press about this camera over the other one that was released at the same time.

Have to hope it's not a scam then! I doubt it they are good retailer.
I'm quite excited by the SL2, might be just the little cam I hoped the M5 might be, but much cheaper

Aug 16, 2017 at 03:14 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cheap new 200D in the UK

I loved the SL1, enough to order the SL2, should be here by the weekend, nice little package!

Aug 16, 2017 at 06:43 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cheap new 200D in the UK

Congrats! I look forward to your evaluation after you've used it a bit.

Aug 16, 2017 at 07:32 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Cheap new 200D in the UK

Jeff Nolten wrote:
Congrats! I look forward to your evaluation after you've used it a bit.

Initial comments after a couple of hours playing with the new camera, thanks Ebuyer:

I don't like the new on/off switch, at least not yet, it's very awkward, I will probably just leave it on but I think if I do there is a good chance it will switch into video mode in the bag, I have to actually look at the camera top to switch on. The original is much better I think

I REALLY don't like the new interface which I find confusing because I know the old interface so well. Thankfully you can go back to the old one fairly easily.

Wifi & bluetooth are a complete waste for time for me, it's still as slow and clunky as it's always been and now the IR remote isn't supported you need an expensive blue tooth remote release which I'm not going to buy - not good at all IMHO. You can use a wired remote (the single pin type, very easy to put it in the microphone hole by mistake) but I think I will have to use the touch shutter in live view for triggering which is a pain (touch shutter doesn't work outside live view)

The good stuff:
The build is a small step up from the 100D, it's also easier to hold and the flippy screen is lovely
You can quickly get to the flash controls by double pressing on the flash popup which is good.
The IQ seems much the same as the 80D but haven't tested properly yet

So basically it's a standard Canon upgrade, they've made things better and they've made things more complex for no good reason. It feels quite a bit bigger and heavier which is both good and bad. But the 200D does feel like a much more mature product, as you'd expect 4 years on.

Aug 17, 2017 at 06:53 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Cheap new 200D in the UK

There are very inexpensive radio triggers that can be used. I am surprised the app is slow for you, I have wifi on my 7D2 and 5D4, and use it to remote trigger pretty often. The app overall isn't that great though. This one even has an intervalometer. It just isn't that nice having something else to plug in though, I get that.

$50 USD for the bluetooth remote from Canon is ridiculous....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jintu-Wireless-Shutter-Release-Control/dp/B01EYBKEME/ref=sr_1_11?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1502971591&sr=1-11&keywords=wireless+canon+shutter

I am curious about the new on/off, that sounds like a pain.

Edited on Aug 17, 2017 at 07:10 AM · View previous versions

Aug 17, 2017 at 07:05 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Cheap new 200D in the UK

TeamSpeed wrote:
There are very inexpensive radio triggers that can be used. I am surprised the app is slow for you, I have wifi on my 7D2 and 5D4, and use it to remote trigger pretty often. The app overall isn't that great though.

I am curious about the new on/off, that sounds like a pain.

I have never had a good experience with wifi on cameras, it seems to drain the battery for little reward in my experience. Making the release bluetooth only is just daft, plus you have to have wifi enabled even to do that

I tried to trigger the camera from the Canon Connect app but there seemed no alternative to using live view on the phone which wasn't what I wanted. I am the first to admit I am a novice at this though, perhaps there is a better App?

The on/off button is going to need getting used to, I can see what they want, which is for you to have your thumb on the rear rest and just move slightly to the right to switch on, but it's delicate and very easy to go into video mode, it would be awful with gloves on, the top dial is much better than the SL1 though although I would dearly have loved a custom mode, only one would have done.

I've just noticed we've lost the colour choices for the rear screen too, I always liked the bluey one

Edited on Aug 17, 2017 at 07:13 AM · View previous versions

Aug 17, 2017 at 07:10 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Cheap new 200D in the UK

No, I think you have to be in live view unfortunately. I don't know of another app. I figured if you were going to use the touchscreen to do it, then you could use the app as well for basically the same kind of operation.

I looked at the new Canon bluetooth remote trigger, and that will never find its way into my bag ever, unless they reduce the price by about 75%. Nice thought with the power zoomer working with it, but that only supports one lens? Not a very well thought out business plan there. Lots of R&D only to have a very reduced working set as a whole unit.

Edited on Aug 17, 2017 at 07:14 AM · View previous versions

Aug 17, 2017 at 07:11 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Cheap new 200D in the UK

TeamSpeed wrote:
No, I think you have to be in live view unfortunately. I don't know of another app. I figured if you were going to use the touchscreen to do it, then you could use the app as well for basically the same kind of operation.

I looked at the new Canon bluetooth remote trigger, and that will never find its way into my bag ever, unless they reduce the price by about 75%.

Even then you need to remember to switch the bluetooth off in-camera every time, even with the power off it drains, really silly

Aug 17, 2017 at 07:14 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Cheap new 200D in the UK

Yeah, an IR eye is very cheap, and very easily integrated into the firmware (oh wait, it already was)...

They are just trying to create revenue streams with other accessories, but again, the entire ecosystem is quite small and not well thought out. They want you to buy the BT trigger, and oh, it also controls the power zoomer, but that is good for one lens? Not too many of these will be sold, I am sure.

Aug 17, 2017 at 07:16 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Cheap new 200D in the UK

Just discovered something else, for anyone that constantly has their Canons set to +1/3 or +2/3rds exposure compensation (because that's what all mine have always usually needed), you need to enable that in a custom function because by default it will cancel exposure compensation when the camera is turned off.

Aug 17, 2017 at 07:18 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Cheap new 200D in the UK

dhphoto wrote:
I tried to trigger the camera from the Canon Connect app but there seemed no alternative to using live view on the phone which wasn't what I wanted. I am the first to admit I am a novice at this though, perhaps there is a better App?...

I prefer DSLR Controller. I use it in LiveView on my phone.

Aug 17, 2017 at 08:16 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Cheap new 200D in the UK

From what I have seen so far the IQ is very impressive, a clear step up from the old model and that frankly is all I'm really interested in.

All in all seems a good upgrade and I already sold the 100D so I'm happy

Aug 17, 2017 at 09:08 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Cheap new 200D in the UK

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated. I think my granddaughter is going to get an SL1 kit.

Aug 17, 2017 at 10:40 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Cheap new 200D in the UK

jcolwell wrote:
I prefer DSLR Controller. I use it in LiveView on my phone.

I forgot about that app, does that work with the current wifi enabled phones? I used to use that with my MR3040 router connected to the camera, but never tried since getting wifi enabled bodies.

Aug 17, 2017 at 11:15 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Cheap new 200D in the UK

Jeff Nolten wrote:
Thanks for the comments, much appreciated. I think my granddaughter is going to get an SL1 kit.

That will be a nice kit from a grandparent!

Aug 17, 2017 at 11:15 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Cheap new 200D in the UK

TeamSpeed wrote:
I forgot about that app, does that work with the current wifi enabled phones?

It should work fine. I use it with an OTG cable. Saves batteries.

Aug 17, 2017 at 11:22 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.