New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Network Drive and Back-up

anselwannab
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Network Drive and Back-up

I have an older Synology 712 two-bay network drive that I have used for my file storage.

I have 2x3TB drives that I RAID1 set up from the start. I'm starting to run out of room and have a few 100GBs left on the drive. The drive is attached via a ethernet cable to the router. It isn't fast, it isn't slow. For editing in LR6 it is fine. It is slow when it comes to uploading a few days of shooting.

I did the RAID since I have had drives fail on me. I still take a portable 3TB drive back and forth to the inlaws house. Ihave a 2013 MBP and I very rarely use the network function to look at pics off of my MBP.

I don't really need the RAID1 performance. If I lose a few days work, that is fine, I dont' work most days on it.

I want:
-Faster transfer from cards to disk
-Offsite back-up for worst case scenario
-Auto back up so I don't have to Pony Express drives to Grandmas house.

My though is taking the current Synology NAS and using it as the un raided back-up drive and hopefully getting it offsite.

Get a drive that I can use for local storage in the 6-8TB range. That should last me another 5 years. Maybe doesn't have to be NAS, but with a USB-C (is that they newest fastest one) for when I upgrade my computer in the next 18 months.

I don't need remote access, though remote storage of 4TBs for back up would also be an option. What ever back up, I need it to be automatic.

Any thoughts?

Aug 16, 2017 at 03:11 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Network Drive and Back-up

Have you checked this thread? One point I will make is that USB 3.0 is plenty fast enough for an external hard drive, especially if the SATA bridge operates in UASP mode.

EBH

Aug 16, 2017 at 04:06 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Network Drive and Back-up

I'd consider investing in a DS416 and drives as your local.

And using your 712 as your offsite target.

https://www.reddit.com/r/synology/comments/3utzky/offsite_backup_for_synology/

Aug 16, 2017 at 09:30 AM
anselwannab
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Network Drive and Back-up

Thanks for the great insights. I've been going through my drives and found a bunch of work stuff I could delete and some dupes so the space crunch isn't as timely. I can probably hold off until early Next year or later.

What is the performance difference between USB3.1 and Ethernet wired (10GB). They boilerplate about the same speed, which is faster than the drives?

I also used to have just one big catalog but I now start a new one each year. I rarely touch the older ones. My 2013 laptop is getting a bit long in the tooth.

My thought is a remote back up, a NAS with regular drives and the older catalogs and files. Then a new desktop with the current catalog and files on an SSD.

Is USB3.1 fast enough to run LR, or would a NAS array with a RAID array for multiple read-write work better?

Aug 18, 2017 at 06:13 PM
schlotz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Network Drive and Back-up

USB 3.1 is fine for LR. Note: if you are venturing into a NAS unit, then put drives in it that are specifically designed for 24x7x365 i.e. NAS drives. EX) WesternDigital RED's or Seagate's IRONWolf

Aug 18, 2017 at 07:00 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password