New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Focus stacking and angle of view

joeybk85

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Focus stacking and angle of view

I started using focus stacking to get foreground and background in sharp focus in my landscape shots. I did 2 photos using this technique so far, both with a Fuji 35mm f/1.4

I noticed that I'm getting a slightly different photo. If I remember correctly, the photo where I focus on the foreground is a tiny bit wider.

I've been using Auto Align Layers in Photoshop to correct the problem, but was wondering if this is normal? And if so, is there a better way to align them then Auto-Align Layers?

Just to be clear, I am using a tripod, and I'm even using my phone as a remote so I can change the focus point without touching the camera/tripod.

Aug 16, 2017 at 01:49 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Focus stacking and angle of view

It's normal for most still photo lenses to "breathe" when you change focus - meaning the image gets a little larger the closer you focus. You can use Align Layers to make them the same size again, but if you're going to be doing a lot of focus stacking, a dedicated program like Helicon Focus will do the resizing and blending much better than you could ever do in Ps.

Aug 16, 2017 at 05:23 AM
joeybk85

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Focus stacking and angle of view

Peter Figen wrote:
It's normal for most still photo lenses to "breathe" when you change focus - meaning the image gets a little larger the closer you focus. You can use Align Layers to make them the same size again, but if you're going to be doing a lot of focus stacking, a dedicated program like Helicon Focus will do the resizing and blending much better than you could ever do in Ps.

Thanks, I didn't even realize there was special software for focus stacking. I'll have to check it out.

Aug 18, 2017 at 01:41 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password