Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Hoya vs Tiffen Variable ND filters?

EGrav
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hoya vs Tiffen Variable ND filters?

Anyone have experience with either/both these filters? Recommendations? (Singh Ray is out of my price range)

Thanks

Aug 15, 2017 at 08:36 PM
WestTexas Sky
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hoya vs Tiffen Variable ND filters?

Rather than a variable ND , you might consider getting a couple of regular ones like a 6 stop and 10 stop. If you have a polariser you can mix, match, and combine them to get 2,6,8,10,12,16, and 18 stops. That is probably cheaper than a variable, gives you many options. True you could get vignetting, but crop a little to take care of that.

Aug 16, 2017 at 07:15 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hoya vs Tiffen Variable ND filters?

I had one for awhile. results vary by the optics you put them on. I use straight ND filters now.

Aug 16, 2017 at 07:17 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hoya vs Tiffen Variable ND filters?

WestTexas Sky wrote:
Rather than a variable ND , you might consider getting a couple of regular ones like a 6 stop and 10 stop. If you have a polariser you can mix, match, and combine them to get 2,6,8,10,12,16, and 18 stops. That is probably cheaper than a variable, gives you many options. True you could get vignetting, but crop a little to take care of that.

I didn't have good luck with the variables--the effect was uneven. I've since gone with Haida ND filters in several strengths. My highest is the 10 stop.

Kent in SD

Aug 16, 2017 at 09:03 AM
EGrav
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hoya vs Tiffen Variable ND filters?

I have several ND's of varying strengths. Just trying to cut down on the "clutter." I guess it was too good to be true.

Aug 16, 2017 at 09:35 AM
WestTexas Sky
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hoya vs Tiffen Variable ND filters?

Generally speaking I find the 6 stop the most useful. Works well around sunrise and is usually just enough to get a little water blur in the daytime. Ten stop filters work well in the full on daytime but most have a color cast.

There are some times I have stacked the 10 and the 6 in the middle of the day to get a long exposure and it works pretty well.

Aug 16, 2017 at 10:48 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Hoya vs Tiffen Variable ND filters?

"Ten stop filters work well in the full on daytime but most have a color cast."

Breakthrough and Formatt-Hitech have the least amount of color cast with Breakthrough being slightly better but more expensive.

Aug 17, 2017 at 07:34 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.