New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

The wedding

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The wedding

A while back I posted the engagement photos for my grandson and his bride. The wedding was Saturday and they had a pro photographer so I was taking other shots.

Like to hear your comments.

1. Exiting the Temple. Mormon Temple weddings are not public so we had to wait for them to come out.

2. The kiss.

3. In front of the Temple and another kiss.

4. At the reception, the cake ceremony.

5. The dance.

6. The Temple.

7. Another view of the Temple

Canon EOS 5DS R    EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM lens    55mm    f/8.0    1/400s    100 ISO    -0.7 EV  

Canon EOS 5DS R    EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM lens    55mm    f/8.0    1/500s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 5DS R    EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM lens    70mm    f/8.0    1/100s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 5DS R    EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM lens    35mm    f/4.0    1/50s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 5DS R    EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM lens    55mm    f/4.0    1/50s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 5DS R    EF11-24mm f/4L USM lens    15mm    f/8.0    1/800s    100 ISO    -1.3 EV  

Canon EOS 5DS R    EF11-24mm f/4L USM lens    23mm    f/8.0    1/500s    100 ISO    -0.7 EV  

Aug 15, 2017 at 10:20 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The wedding

I appreciate your situation, since 'our' wedding was three weeks ago - stay out of the pro's 'space'.

Certainly you were successful! And I think the couple will appreciate some images outside the standard cookie-cutter wedding set.

My only comment, knowing you have essentially no control over backgrounds etc. is the bride's wedding dress has a blue cast (to me anyway) on the exteriors, too warm on the interiors.

If you are like me, I enjoyed the opportunity without the pressures.

Great job! And best wishes to the newly weds!

Best,

Bob

Aug 15, 2017 at 11:10 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The wedding

Thanks Bob, I was focused on the white shirt for WB, now that you mention it, I see both casts. I just accepted AWB for the outdoor shots, but had to work on the indoor shots were very red in the RAW.

Aug 15, 2017 at 11:24 PM
Rick Joyce
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The wedding

Congratulations to your grandson and his bride and to you for another life milestone.

Aug 16, 2017 at 12:14 AM
Kevin T
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The wedding

Nice work! I bet the hired gun didnt get as good of a shot of the temple!

I like the picture where she is kissing him on cheek with melting ice structure in background. I thought it was fairy wings at first! Could be with some heavy handed blurring! ;-)

Aug 16, 2017 at 12:51 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The wedding

A few tweaks on color.

Aug 16, 2017 at 01:36 AM
eeneryma
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The wedding

Great memories for your Grandson and his new bride, the most personal gift you could give them. All nicely composed and processed.

Steve

Aug 16, 2017 at 02:02 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The wedding

RustyBug wrote:
A few tweaks on color.

Thanks Kent, mind sharing the recipi? In addition to reducing blue, it appears to have more contrast or perhaps USM.

Aug 16, 2017 at 02:09 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The wedding

Kevin T wrote:
Nice work! I bet the hired gun didnt get as good of a shot of the temple!

I like the picture where she is kissing him on cheek with melting ice structure in background. I thought it was fairy wings at first! Could be with some heavy handed blurring! ;-)

Thanks Kevin, it's a fountain. They might have thought they were in heaven, they were truly happy.

Aug 16, 2017 at 02:12 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The wedding

ben egbert wrote:
Thanks Kent, mind sharing the recipi? In addition to reducing blue, it appears to have more contrast or perhaps USM.

Well, it's a bit convoluted with 73 layers and 6 composites, so I didn't really keep notes. Okay, well not quite that bad, but it was a bunch of iterative tweaks.

The key starting point though is the groom's shoe and the cyanic highlights. After that, it's just "fudge to taste" and watch your whites.

Here's one from the inside ... this one was tougher, but I finally landed on raising the brightness in the yellow (and ofsetting the reds) as a key attribute. Not "spot on" I'm sure, but hopefully better for some snaps.

BTW, I know the trend is for not using flash very much these days ... but a kiss of flash goes a long way to helping neutralize rogue lighting.

Edited on Aug 16, 2017 at 02:41 AM · View previous versions

Aug 16, 2017 at 02:36 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The wedding

Looks great. I will give it a whirl.

Aug 16, 2017 at 02:38 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The wedding

ben egbert wrote:

Some of it is USM ... but getting rid of cast (which steals hue contrast) first, sets up "A" for the "B" of USM so you don't need as much USM to overcome the cast to generate contrast.

Aug 16, 2017 at 02:46 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The wedding

Her is my try at it, using the same pints you used, but with curves to get white and black point, then reduce reds.

Canon EOS 5DS R    EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM lens    55mm    f/4.0    1/50s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Aug 16, 2017 at 02:56 AM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The wedding

Great set Ben and congrats to the newlyweds as well as you grandpa!

I'll stay out of the color conversation but I think something went amuck on your last edit as you now have blown highlights. I like your OP of this image better.

I have a wedding coming up next month up in NY. It's literally taking place in a castle so I'm looking forward to going through what you just did and hope some of my shots turn out half as nice as yours.

Dave

Aug 16, 2017 at 04:24 PM
beavens
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · The wedding

They look happy as all get-out, Ben!!! Hard to top those smiles.

I'd suggest some tighter crops in concert with a little clonework.

Jeff

Aug 16, 2017 at 06:14 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · The wedding

Thanks Jeff and Dave for the feedback. They left on their honeymoon before seeing these so this gives me a chance to fix them up a bit.

Aug 16, 2017 at 06:38 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · The wedding

Here are a couple new reworks to see if I am on the right track

Aug 16, 2017 at 07:03 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · The wedding

Congratulations Ben!
I think you captured some key moments.
Others, esp Kent are better on the color adjustment, but the bluish cast was noticeable to me.
I agree the dancing image needs to be tightened up and maybe the cake scene from the right. But I think Jeff's second cropped image and yours are too tight. He's a big guy and needs some space. Your crops are especially tight at the top. Don't know what Karen would say, but I would still go for the eyes closer to a third from the top. Side room on your crops looks good to me.

Scott

Aug 16, 2017 at 08:18 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · The wedding

Thanks Scott. But no room for higher crop, the vertical is uncropped.

Aug 16, 2017 at 09:08 PM
beavens
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · The wedding

sbeme wrote:
But I think Jeff's second cropped image and yours are too tight. He's a big guy and needs some space. Your crops are especially tight at the top. Don't know what Karen would say, but I would still go for the eyes closer to a third from the top. Side room on your crops looks good to me.

Scott

You're not wrong - tis a bit too snug on those edges.

But should be a fairly simple fix! Rough around the edges rework that took about 10 seconds to complete.

Jeff

Aug 16, 2017 at 11:39 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password