New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Biotar 75mm f/1.5 on Kickstarter

matejphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Biotar 75mm f/1.5 on Kickstarter

https://petapixel.com/2017/08/15/zeiss-biotar-75mm-f1-5-coming-back-dead/

Any interest? I think the lens looks cool but I find the swirly bokeh not particularly appealing. For $200 I would pull a trigger, but $1000 no way for me.

Aug 15, 2017 at 08:55 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Biotar 75mm f/1.5 on Kickstarter

Yeah, a bit much for a one trick pony.

Plus Net SE the company behind it made quite a mess of their kickstarter campaings so far: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/meyeroptik/bring-back-the-legendary-trioplan-soap-bubble-boke just check out the comment section. They advertised very high quality but had serious quality control issues and awful communication as it seems. Oh and they were way beyond scedule and many kickstarter backers still waited for their lens while it was sold by shops already.

Aug 16, 2017 at 04:43 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Biotar 75mm f/1.5 on Kickstarter

I have a Biotar 75 1.5 and it's bokeh is smoother than these few shots of this kickstarter lens. It seems like this kickstarter lens has more stippley bokeh which to me is more like the trioplan bokeh style and not Biotar. Seems like they made a trioplan style lens with more swirl. I forget the FM'r here who has both original lenses but it would be interesting to see his comments. Also, there are no examples here showing how this lens renders light sources in the bokeh regions. This is one of the features I like most along with the swirling. The colors also look more Helio'ish than Biotar'ish just looking at these samples. It would be nice to see some side by side comparison shots. One thing I wish my old Biotar had was some of the newer zeiss coatings so it performed better in more bright sunlight situations with better contrast.
Physically this new lens is much different so I have my doubts that this doesn't introduce rendering differences. It looks uglier than my old beautiful Biotar.

Aug 16, 2017 at 01:24 PM
Almass
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Biotar 75mm f/1.5 on Kickstarter

wayne seltzer wrote:
I have a Biotar 75 1.5 and it's bokeh is smoother than these few shots of this kickstarter lens. It seems like this kickstarter lens has more stippley bokeh which to me is more like the trioplan bokeh style and not Biotar. Seems like they made a trioplan style lens with more swirl. I forget the FM'r here who has both original lenses but it would be interesting to see his comments. Also, there are no examples here showing how this lens renders light sources in the bokeh regions. This is one of the features I like most along
...Show more

I concur

Aug 16, 2017 at 04:14 PM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Biotar 75mm f/1.5 on Kickstarter

I've always had doubts that any of these reproductions are exactly like the originals. I'm happy to have a "real" Trioplan 100, which I love, and paid a lot less for it than they're asking for the repros.

Aug 16, 2017 at 05:03 PM
genji
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Biotar 75mm f/1.5 on Kickstarter

DannyBurkPhoto wrote:
I've always had doubts that any of these reproductions are exactly like the originals. I'm happy to have a "real" Trioplan 100, which I love, and paid a lot less for it than they're asking for the repros.

I can't help thinking that these "reproduction" lenses are little more than a con-trick being played on the gullible. But perhaps my Lomography Jupiter 3+ 50/1.5 experience made me cynical.

Aug 17, 2017 at 10:41 AM
dpap1978
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Biotar 75mm f/1.5 on Kickstarter

If going for that look, I would rather buy some of the russian copies of these old lenses. Cant afford to spend that much...

Aug 17, 2017 at 01:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Biotar 75mm f/1.5 on Kickstarter

There was this forun thread a couple yrs ago about the recreated Trioplan 100 lens project:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1376200

It's FM'r ZoneV who I think has both original Biotar 75 and Trioplan 100 lenses. Would be nice to hear his thoughts on this recreated Biotar lens rendering.

Aug 17, 2017 at 04:00 PM
Andrew Gough
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Biotar 75mm f/1.5 on Kickstarter

The old lens could get just as swirly as well.

A Flickr photo, not mine

https://flic.kr/p/UF8UxH

Aug 18, 2017 at 02:14 AM
sculptormic
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Biotar 75mm f/1.5 on Kickstarter

It is for the Chinese, they love this old bokeh stuff. Must admit i used to love it too myself, but I sold my Trioplan 100mm a year ago, which I bought for 15,-- for 480,--
Still have the tiny 58/1.9 Trioplan for on my K-1 for (children) portraits.
This new Biotar looks nice and shiny though.

Aug 18, 2017 at 08:52 AM
ZoneV
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Biotar 75mm f/1.5 on Kickstarter

wayne seltzer wrote:
It's FM'r ZoneV who I think has both original Biotar 75 and Trioplan 100 lenses. Would be nice to hear his thoughts on this recreated Biotar lens rendering.

I own the original old Trioplan 100 and some of the projection siblings. And I have done a comparison with a preliminary (!) new MOG 100 Trioplan. From what I remeber the bokeh was very close or the same.
But I have to admit that I would stay with with the old Trioplan because of its worse coating - sometimes I like some reflections / flare in the images. I have even uncoated (polished) other lenses: http://www.4photos.de/camera-diy/Lens-Coating-Removal.html

I do not own the 75mm Biotar, only the old Helios 40 and Meostigmat 70mm.

Aug 21, 2017 at 09:00 AM
Ed Sawyer
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Biotar 75mm f/1.5 on Kickstarter

For that price, just get a real biotar. I had one for a while, (m42, T-coating, later 'fat' style), it was nice but after having it for a year or two I sold it. It was nice, well built, had an interesting look, but ultimately was worth more to others than to me.

Aug 23, 2017 at 06:09 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Biotar 75mm f/1.5 on Kickstarter

These people are buffoons. Completely insane prices.

Aug 23, 2017 at 07:09 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password