New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Out of the shadows to ask for input

Stephanie Ryan

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Out of the shadows to ask for input

Reagan, that's awesome. I was 2. I think the one I have made made between 70 and 72. My husband found it at a garage sale and brought it home to me. It's been collecting dust with with all my equipment. It's in awesome shape. Lens looks really clean too.

Aug 17, 2017 at 03:25 AM
Alanu
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Out of the shadows to ask for input

Stephanie,

I don't recall you ever mentioning your budget?

When I owned an X-T10 and X-E2 I actually purchased an overseas knock off aluminum grip. I used GT5000 tape so it felt like it was OEM rubber grip!!! By doing so it substantially felt substantial enough that you wont drop the camera yet it was still small and compact.

I actually prefer my previous gripped X-T10 over my X-T2 original grip.

I love zooms and primes. I can virtually shoot majority of my photography using my 10-24mm , 16mm and 56 f/1.2. Truthfully the fuji 56mm produces IQ like I'm using a mini Canon 85Lmk2 on a fuji body.

Everyone will have an opinion. I simply cannot use an X100 series fixed lens body as I'm wanting more versatility. If you put a 27mm pancake lens on a fuji body that combo is small. If you use an 18-55 kit lens on a fuji it's still a small light package that can produce great IQ. I would almost consider it to easily match the IQ of a EF 24-70L f/2.8mk1 zoom (not fully match shallow dof though.....)

I urge you to borrow/rent a fuji combo first. I absolutely love shooting Canon but I also love shooting Fuji too. If I was strictly shooting as a hobbyist I'd be able to use Fuji as a primary. I still feel there are some advantages in a mirrored body except weight!!

Things to consider is that a Canon 6d, 5dmk2,3,4, 1DX (mk2) etc etc render images differently than Fuji. If you've used a Canon 5d you'll notice the digital file looks different and less "digital" than the 5dmk2,3,4 etc. Fuji is sharp yet it has different sharpness. Your Canon 100L IS has this micro contrast incredible sharpness that looks different than an older generation EF 85mm or EF 100 f/2. I guess it would be like comparing a 24Lmk1 vs 24Lmk2. Both lenses are sharp but to my eyes all of the latest generation Canon primes/zoom glass looks more digital looking.

Fuji on the otherhand has a much more organic less digital look while having great sharpness. Sharpness more like the older generation Canon lenses. Another example is like comparing a 24L vs. 24Lmk2, 35L vs. 35Lmk2 or 24-70L vs 24-70L f/2.8mk2. Canon's "sharpness" look has changed a lot with the newer generation glass available. New glass simply looks sharper with much more micro contrast.

If you have a decent IPS computer monitor at home you'll clearly see what I mean about a different "sharpness" look.

For portraits I loved my old Canon 5D classic with 85Lmk2 compared to my 5dmk2 or mk3 using the 85L. If I was using the new Sigma 85 Art series prime that would be even more sharper/digital looking IMHO. This is why I really dig my Fuji X-T2 with 56mm f/1.2 for portraits since it's a combo of nice sharpness with fuji eye pleasing files.

Aug 17, 2017 at 08:13 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Out of the shadows to ask for input

Reagan wrote:
That Minolta and lens was my first SLR back in 1971
I believe I paid $119 for it
I can still remember where I bought it
I don't know how I remember that
It was a great camera

Reagan

Mine was the SRT-100. Graduation gift from my mother.

Aug 17, 2017 at 09:41 AM
AZ Photo

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Out of the shadows to ask for input

Pavel wrote:
Not true. There are adapters out there which enable control of the aperture. I use one for adapting my Nikon G lenses ( the micro 60 and micro 105, neither of which have an aperture ring), though right now I can't remember the name of it. I can go to the closet and check if anyone wants.

I would be interested if you have found an adapter for the Canon EF 100L macro that allows aperture control on Fuji X mount

Aug 17, 2017 at 12:38 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Out of the shadows to ask for input

Two23 wrote:
I too was looking for a small camera and took a close look at Fuji X. I compared the size & weight to a Nikon D5300 and honestly, they're about the same. The D5300 has more pixels and better focus. I ended up buying a used D5300 with a used Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 OS. The cost is considerably less than the Fuji, but I think it's overall a better performing camera. This works very well for "street" photography, and Nikon has several excellent macro lenses. (I have the 105mm f2.8 VR.) There are more Nikon lens choices, flash, and everything
...Show more

I disagree with Ken on part of this, that being the focus. The Nikons are better still at following focus through a frame, at least the pro level stuff is but in day to day focus tasks the mirrorless have it over the SLR's in accuracy, I find, and with the new crop of Fuji and M43 bodies the speed to one shot acquisition is identical or not measurable. What Ken says used to be accurate, but not anymore.

I have the micro 60 and 105 for Nikon as well as the 60 macro for Olympus. Optically the three are all fantastic. All are the same 2.8 aperture. What makes the 60 Olympus stand out is the $400 versus $800 price tag. Other Olympus advantages are the a 1:1 shortcut switch, whichI really like. and while VR doesn't work at Macro distances, I'm not sure about IBIS but it seems to help. I personally find live view in Macro a much better way to work when really close than getting on my belly to squint and guess dof through the Nikon viewfinder or to deal with it's live view implementation ( the live view is OK, but a large step down from using EVIL technology imho)

That's not to disparage the Nikons, they are great lenses, but macro IS one of the strengths of SONY, Olympus and FUJI technology. Those flip up mirror cameras are the old way.

It's true that the Nikon D5300 and other such models are close in size, but in not being the premium offerings of Nikon one gives up a LOT in terms of build quality and viewfinder quality and capability compared to those same sized top of the line offerings of Nikon's competitors, so it's "more complicated" than just size.

Lastly, there is one difference that may or may not be a factor, depending on one's value system. I find it a large difference, larger than the price factor ever was. I'll let the picture speak to that. On the left the Olympus 60 with a field of view that of a 120 mm lens and on the right the excellent Nikon 105 VR. ( and Kepler the Kitten )

Aug 17, 2017 at 02:32 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Out of the shadows to ask for input

AZ Photo wrote:
I would be interested if you have found an adapter for the Canon EF 100L macro that allows aperture control on Fuji X mount

Sorry, I missed your post at first.
This one is From Canon to Fuji and it allows dof control. I hope it helps.

https://fotodioxpro.com/collections/lens-mount-adapters/products/eos-fxrf-p-iris

Aug 17, 2017 at 02:44 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Out of the shadows to ask for input

I too had an SR-T 101, a 1972 model if my recollection is accurate. It may have been from 73. My dad bought it after much research and he was very pleased with his choice due to the excellent quality/price ratio of the Rokkor lenses. I quickly took it over. Had the requisite hard black square camera bag too, of course.

It was a great system, though I remember disliking on aspect. The way Minolta designed the meter on button. It was at the bottom, and kind of a pain to turn on and often I'd forget to turn in off.

I only got rid of it and the four lenses in about 2005. Hard to imagine getting that sort of mileage out of any digital SLR, isn it not?

Aug 17, 2017 at 02:55 PM
AZ Photo

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Out of the shadows to ask for input

Pavel wrote:
Sorry, I missed your post at first.
This one is From Canon to Fuji and it allows dof control. I hope it helps.

https://fotodioxpro.com/collections/lens-mount-adapters/products/eos-fxrf-p-iris

Thanks - do you have any experience of using this method as opposed to actually changing the aperture within the lens?

Aug 17, 2017 at 02:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Out of the shadows to ask for input

Pavel wrote:
Not true. There are adapters out there which enable control of the aperture. I use one for adapting my Nikon G lenses ( the micro 60 and micro 105, neither of which have an aperture ring), though right now I can't remember the name of it. I can go to the closet and check if anyone wants.

As I mentioned above, I am an enthusiastic user of the Fujifilm system* for my street and travel photography, and I also use it for a small percentage of my landscape photography. (I tend to rely on a full frame Canon system for the latter.)

That said, my wife, who is an accomplished macro photographer made a different choice for her smaller system. She, too, uses a Canon full frame system for much of her photography, but for travel and other work when the size/weight of the equipment is critical, she chose to work with the Canon SL2 (and previously the SL1) instead of going with my Fujifilm choice.

The macro photography was the key issue. Fujifilm makes a decent 60mm f/2.4 macro lens, but it is not in the same class as the Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS macro, the lens she most often has on her cameras. And the idea of adding adapters and making other accommodations or settling for a less ideal lens wasn't acceptable to her. (She was also looking closely at the fine Sony A7rII system, but the issues with adapting the Canon macro were a deal-breaker.)

There is no one right answer to these things. Fortunately, one can make beautiful photographs with any of a range of brands these days.

- -

* I'm using the XPro2. (I previously used the XE1.)

I mostly use it for street/travel photography, for which my main lenses are 14mm f/2.8, 23mm f/1.4, and 35mm f/1.4. For some travel I may augment this with the 50-140mm f/2.8. (I formerly used the 55-200mm zoom) As an alternative, I sometimes add the 60mm f/2.4 macro to the bag. I also have the 16-55mm f/2.8. It is a versatile one-lens solution for things other than street I recently used it backpacking.

Aug 17, 2017 at 04:52 PM
Alanu
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Out of the shadows to ask for input

Steph,

If your style is shooting in available light the Fuji system does do a good job. If your going to take photos of your Niece's wedding just be prepared to get use to a Fuji AF system as it is different to a Canon mirrored body.

As you know on board flash is not very flattering and is hard light.

Fuji's latest f/2 prime lenses which are the 23mm, 35mm, 50mm have fast AF. The older original primes such as the 18mm f/2, 35mm f/1.4 are slower in AF.

Do some research before purchasing a lens. The lenses have different characteristics just like any other manufacturers line of lenses.

Aug 17, 2017 at 06:07 PM
ben_

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Out of the shadows to ask for input

gdanmitchell wrote:
http://gallery.gdanmitchell.com/gallery/var/resizes/HumanWorld/Cities/Europe/France/JeSuisBleuParisStreet20160810.jpg

These are great Dan, especially love that last one.

Aug 17, 2017 at 06:27 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Out of the shadows to ask for input

AZ Photo wrote:
Thanks - do you have any experience of using this method as opposed to actually changing the aperture within the lens?

Yes, I have the Nikon to fuji version. I had no real desire to use adapted lenses but the allure of being able to test my Nikkors with my Fuji IR body was led me to the decision to buy and try this. Mine, btw has the aperture control so I can use my G lenses (no aperture ring) and it also has a second ring for a variable Neutral Density Filter. I have not tested the ND stuff enough to be able to comment on how Neutral and consistent the cast is when going through the ND range but would guess that it is no substitute for separate ND filters, for those who are discerning. Thats just a guess though.

For the primary reason that I purchased this adapter, I would say that it works and gets the job done but is not nearly as good as could be due to the fact that there are not discrete F stops. It just slides the aperture down linearly, the way a video lens would. Some may find that a plus, but I don't care for it as much as discrete steps. But it works.

It seems a better design for the Canon to Fuji that I linked to, simply by virtue of the fact that the aperture scale is much longer on that design, so it should be smoother and easier to make fine changes. Mine is about one fourth the throw - a bit fiddly.

Aug 17, 2017 at 09:27 PM
Stephanie Ryan

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Out of the shadows to ask for input

Pavel, I love your street photo's and the reflection. Beautiful work!!

Aug 18, 2017 at 10:38 PM
Stephanie Ryan

p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Out of the shadows to ask for input

Alanu wrote:
Steph,

If your style is shooting in available light the Fuji system does do a good job. If your going to take photos of your Niece's wedding just be prepared to get use to a Fuji AF system as it is different to a Canon mirrored body.

As you know on board flash is not very flattering and is hard light.

Fuji's latest f/2 prime lenses which are the 23mm, 35mm, 50mm have fast AF. The older original primes such as the 18mm f/2, 35mm f/1.4 are slower in AF.

Do some research before purchasing a lens. The lenses have different characteristics
...Show more

Good advice! I already shot my nieces wedding with my Canon 5dMkII. I hadn't planned on shooting anything other than some vacation photo's so all I had with me was my 50mm 1.4 and my 100L macro. I do like to shoot with available light. I have a flash and a beauty dish, but never really loved setting all that up. I hate being bogged down with stuff. I ended up with a flash and beauty dish because I was convinced to shoot a family reunion for a local country club about 7 years ago. It was inside and the lighting stunk. There I was, no flash, making it work. The family loved my shots and wanted to book me for the following year. But, shooting people is not my thing. Honestly, it was quite stressful. My husband was my assistant, that was fun.

I'm getting ready to rent the xt-2, just figuring out the lenses. Part of me thinks I should just rent a prime to test out how I would feel if I got the x100f, but the other part of me wants to get the kit lens to see how I like it.

I want to thank all of you guys for your input. It's much appreciated!!

Aug 18, 2017 at 10:54 PM
charles.K
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Out of the shadows to ask for input

Stephanie Ryan wrote:
Thanks for the responses! My kiddo was up and running today, so off to daycare he went and I went to the local camera store to put my hands on the Fuji, Olympus pen F, and the Ricoh. Hated the Ricoh and Olympus. I liked the feel of the Fuji best. I picked up the xt-20, and put it down. It did not feel good in my hand. At all. The x100f felt good and the x-t2 felt better. Of course it did. . I forgot to take a memory card so I can't compare images at home. I
...Show more

Hi Stephanie,

It sounds the like the XT2 is a great fit for you style. Personally I have the Nikon D750/D810 for FF and XT2's and X100F for smaller light to go system. I previously had the XPro2 and I definitely prefer the XT2 for all the refinements. With the XT2 you can go light/stealth mode with the XT 18 and 27 lenses. Both these lenses are quite amazing. The X100F is also excellent but can be limiting if this is your only camera system. The nice thing about Nikon/Canon gear is if you need to do a dedicated shoot it is much cheaper to rent for the weekend including lighting.

Aug 19, 2017 at 08:49 AM
Stephanie Ryan

p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Out of the shadows to ask for input

Whoa, that's quite the size difference. Cute cat, btw!

Aug 19, 2017 at 07:40 PM
       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password