New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Out of the shadows to ask for input

Stephanie Ryan

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Out of the shadows to ask for input

Hi everyone!

I am a hobbyist who has lost her my photographic way since life got into the way. I find myself leaving my camera equipment at home or only taking one lens and my body, because it is just too bulky to carry in addition to my son and his stuff. My niece asked me to grab a few photo's when we attended her out of town wedding (she was not having a photographer, it was very simple and informal). Doing this small favor reminded me how much I enjoy shooting and that I need to find balance in my life which means returning to my hobby's. I love street photography and if I had endless dollars, I would purchase a Leica. But I don't. I stumbled across the Fuji system. I am very interested and super excited to try this system.

I love street photography, landscapes, and macro. I've been researching the x100f, xt-20 and xt-2. My goals are to decrease size and bulk, maybe adapt my 100L macro (if possible) to fit the fuji. I believe the x100f is a fixed lens. I plan on trying out these camera's soon (of course, my son came down with a GI bug so I've been home bound for several days), but wanted to get some input on why you like your fuji especially if you used to or still own a canon. Lastly, is there an online rental company that has fuji's?

Thanks!
Stephanie

Aug 15, 2017 at 03:12 PM
rstoddard11
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Out of the shadows to ask for input

Check out the Ricoh GR

Aug 15, 2017 at 03:15 PM
spoupard
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Out of the shadows to ask for input

I am a recent Fuji convert, myself. I switched after using Nikon for the past 38 years. I have the X-T20 and love it. However, some find it to be too small; but, you can decide which you prefer when you try them out. Lensrentals.com rents Fuji cameras and lenses.

The X-Pro2, X-T2, and X-T20 all have the same sensor and all have excellent image output. The X-T2 and X-T20 (not sure about the X-Pro2) have the same focusing system and well and focus very quickly. You'll be able to use your 100L with the proper adapter, but it will only operate in manual focus.

Aug 15, 2017 at 03:49 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Out of the shadows to ask for input

Stephanie,

As spoupard said, LensRentals.com has Fujis for rent. I rented the X-Pro2, the X-T2 and three lenses (kit zoom, 16mm f1.2 and 23mm) to take on vacation to try out. I also took my Leica M3 film camera and a Leica M to Fuji X adapter to try my vintage lenses on a Fuji.

I currently shoot Canon and I'm looking for a smaller kit for travel. I fell in love with the Fuji and will probably be buying soon. I'm undecided whether I'll end up keeping my Canon kit. I've been shooting with Canon cameras since 1971, it's hard to let go.

I really wanted to favor the X-Pro2 because it is so reminiscent of my Leica. It is a wonderful camera imminently suited to street work with primes. I did shoot with the zoom, but the optical viewfinder is awkward at best and I ended up using the EVF for the zoom and 16mm. The EVF is much bigger on the X-T2 and the zoom felt more at home. While I'd love to be a purist and shoot only primes, the kit zoom is so good and so versatile, I plan to start with it. For me, the X-T2 makes more sense.

Since I'm an old film guy, I just love the dials on the Fuji. It's like shooting with my Leica or film Canons. I felt right at home immediately. I love the joystick on the X-T2 that lets you choose the focus point. Face recognition also works great. I didn't think it would matter that much, but the 8 fps was terrific when capturing photos of the grandkids.

Here's a link to photos I posted. One was taken with my Canon 5D2 with a 135L and the other was taken with my 50 year old Leica Summicron 90mm, which on the Fuji is 135mm equivalent. The limitations you'll see are from the old lens, not the Fuji body. The Fuji photo is almost SOOC, derived from the JPEG. The Canon was from a RAW file.

Rent the Fuji and try it, but be prepared to fall in love! Happy shooting.

Aug 15, 2017 at 05:12 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Out of the shadows to ask for input

I use a Panasonic GX85 with an equiv. 24-120 lens to address wt. & bulk. It can do things my Nikons cannot (in body focus stacking, pano, HDR) and it is a LEICA lens with xlnt bokeh.

you love macro so the Panny system is worth it for the focus stacking and better DOF alone

another option is to make your kids be your photo equipment bearers....

Aug 15, 2017 at 07:04 PM
Stephanie Ryan

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Out of the shadows to ask for input

That's good to know. I only use manual with my macro. When I tried AF, it would always focus where I didn't want it to.

Aug 15, 2017 at 07:59 PM
Reagan
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Out of the shadows to ask for input

The XT-2 will have a much larger viewfinder than the others
and that was important to me

Reagan

Aug 15, 2017 at 08:23 PM
Bruce_T
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Out of the shadows to ask for input

Nikon D750 is my main camera but I picked up a used Fuji X-T1 to test out the Fuji system. So far I have been very happy with it as a compact but still high quality camera. The 27mm f/2.8 pancake is great when you want a real camera with you, but don't want bulk. The 35mm f/2 is also a very nice nifty fifty equivalent.

I have crappy eyesight so I prefer the larger viewfinder on the X-T1 (I think X-T2 is the same size) versus the X-Pros.

I have a used 18-55mm on the way, and I'm looking forward to that as an all purpose / vacation lens to replace my Nikon 24-120/4.

Good luck!

Aug 15, 2017 at 09:24 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Out of the shadows to ask for input

I come from a Canon background, and I still use it for dance and sports, as well as studio portraiture. But for everything else, I use Fuji. I started with an X100S, shooting travel photos on a concert tour in Spain, using my Canon gear for low-light, stand-off performances in cathedrals, where the fixed 23mm lens on the X100S just wouldn't cut it. But since then, when I travel or do personal work, it's all Fuji. I still have (and love) the X100S, but would trade up to the X100F if I could. I use the X-Pro2 and X-T2 for performance work, fitting the smaller X-Pro2 body with shorter lenses, while using a gripped X-T2 for longer, heavier glass. I also use the X-Pro2 for travel photos, as I can easily carry an extra lens or two in a small bag. For your situation, I would probably recommend the X-Pro2 with smaller primes to start, unless you plan on using longer, heavier zooms, in which case the X-T2 would be a better choice.

Aug 16, 2017 at 12:08 AM
AZ Photo
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Out of the shadows to ask for input

Just one point on adapting the 100L macro for an X series camera - you will be stuck with both manual focus (maybe not an issue) but also fixed aperture.

Aug 16, 2017 at 03:42 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Out of the shadows to ask for input

AZ Photo wrote:
Just one point on adapting the 100L macro for an X series camera - you will be stuck with both manual focus (maybe not an issue) but also fixed aperture.

This is why you forget a lens that doesn't have an aperture ring. Get the Nikkor 105 f2.8 AIS Macro.

Aug 16, 2017 at 05:03 AM
alicat
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Out of the shadows to ask for input

XT20 has been a very nice camera to work with. I think you will be impressed with it and the way it helps produce photos.

Alicat

Aug 16, 2017 at 12:45 PM
Stephanie Ryan

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Out of the shadows to ask for input

Thanks for the responses! My kiddo was up and running today, so off to daycare he went and I went to the local camera store to put my hands on the Fuji, Olympus pen F, and the Ricoh. Hated the Ricoh and Olympus. I liked the feel of the Fuji best. I picked up the xt-20, and put it down. It did not feel good in my hand. At all. The x100f felt good and the x-t2 felt better. Of course it did. . I forgot to take a memory card so I can't compare images at home. I asked about their rental program but they wanted WAY too much, and I can rent it for $130 online. That's over $100 savings. As of this point I am leaning toward the x-t2.

Thanks for the note about the fixed aperture of my macro.... I am not sure how I feel about that. I wonder if I can use my fisheye on this system.... It problem wont work as a fisheye any longer. hmm.

I have a vintage minolta sr-t 101 with a rokkor 55mm 1.7. I should have checked the camera store for film. Can I use the Rokkor lens on the fuji?

I'd love to have my son carry my stuff... but he's 3. And he dumps everything in my purse.... All his thomas trains, because you must have an engine, a tender, at least 1 or 2 train cars and a boose (caboose). Little boys are awesome. Now, if I can get him to pick up the photography bug from me like I did from my father.

Aug 16, 2017 at 03:36 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Out of the shadows to ask for input

Stephanie Ryan wrote:
Hi everyone!

I am a hobbyist who has lost her my photographic way since life got into the way. I find myself leaving my camera equipment at home or only taking one lens and my body, because it is just too bulky to carry in addition to my son and his stuff. My niece asked me to grab a few photo's when we attended her out of town wedding (she was not having a photographer, it was very simple and informal). Doing this small favor reminded me how much I enjoy shooting and that I need to find balance in
...Show more

I've been using Fujifilm x-trans cameras and Fujifilm lenses for close to five years — as my "other system" for travel and street photography and occasionally other things. (I also use a larger system for most of my landscape photography, one built around a Canon 5DsR.)

My current Fujifilm camera is the XPro2, which is image-quality equivalent to the XT2 you are considering.

Initially I acquired the Fujifilm system for some extensive overseas travel. I prefer to travel rather light, and with my Fujifilm system (at that time based on the XE1) I could carry my entire system plus my small laptop and other odds and ends in a small messenger bag that fits under airline seats with room to spare. Since my street and travel photography is done almost entirely without a tripod (with a few rare exceptions) the added system resolution from my 51MP full frame system is essentially moot.

I've also discovered that the Fujifilm system, especially my XPro2, is a fine low light camera — important to me as I do handheld night street photography.

I have sold prints and licensed images made with this system. A recent sale to a commercial client was a 18" x 24" print using a section cropped out of the 16MP XE1 (with 14mm f/2.8) shot of the interior of a museum. I have no hesitation about making "fine art" prints at 20" x 30" and larger from the XPro2.

As I mentioned, I did not get this system for my landscape photography, though I have occasionally found myself with a landscape opportunity while shooting with this gear. Earlier this summer I decided to try a much lighter approach to backpacking photography, and I carried only the XPro2, the 16-55mm f/2.8, and a "travel tripod." I worked pretty well.

Here are a few photographs made with this system.

http://gallery.gdanmitchell.com/gallery/var/resizes/NaturalWorld/TheLandscape/California/SierraNevada/EasternSierra/Color/PeelerLakeMornReflectionAngler20170807.jpg

http://gallery.gdanmitchell.com/gallery/var/resizes/HumanWorld/Cities/UnitedStates/SanFrancisco/SanFranciscoatNight/AsianStylesShopPeopleNight20150725.jpg?

http://gallery.gdanmitchell.com/gallery/var/resizes/HumanWorld/Cities/Europe/France/JeSuisBleuParisStreet20160810.jpg

Dan

Aug 16, 2017 at 03:49 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Out of the shadows to ask for input

AZ Photo wrote:

Not true. There are adapters out there which enable control of the aperture. I use one for adapting my Nikon G lenses ( the micro 60 and micro 105, neither of which have an aperture ring), though right now I can't remember the name of it. I can go to the closet and check if anyone wants.

Aug 16, 2017 at 04:18 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Out of the shadows to ask for input

Stephanie everyone has different values so it's good to get a camera in hand for at least a few shoots to get the measure of it, as well as how the ergonomic wind up feeling in your hands and value system.

For what it's worth, I've shot with Canon for 16 years, Nikon a bit longer over all, and I still have a D3 and seven lenses, three Olympus cameras, and three Fuji cameras. I've been with the M43 system since the first body launched (and the Four thirds system before that)

I enjoy them all for different things. As one poster mentioned, the automatic focus stacking is fantastic on the top end Olympus bodies. That said I find that even after all of these years, if I put the Olympus bodies down for a week, I have to pretty much re-read the manual. Heck, I have on for sale just now, mostly only for the fact that to go from the E1 to the E5 mkii requires a re-adjustement period, they are so different in the handling and setup. Not so with the Fuji's. Wonderful ergonomic, amazing lenses and a gestalt found nowhere else. Fuji does not fudge the iso like Olympus seems to also, but whatever the reason,the Fuji files are much (much) better in low light, if that happens to be important to you. There is really something special about the files and colors, especially the JPG's. It's the only system I'm content to use jpg's from, personally.

So, yes, it's all personal and biased, but for me at least, while all these systems have a lot of strengths, it's the Fuji which will be the one, for that prying out of dead hands at the end. Actually, I'm an optimist so I plan to take the Fuji's with me. The arial shots should be superb and the fuji glass up to any sort of resolving power needs.

Aug 16, 2017 at 04:32 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Out of the shadows to ask for input

Stephanie Ryan wrote:
Thanks for the note about the fixed aperture of my macro.... I am not sure how I feel about that. I wonder if I can use my fisheye on this system.... It problem wont work as a fisheye any longer. hmm.
)

This is the adapter I use. It works really well, controls the aperture for my G lenses and can be used with my older lenses with apertures as well.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1041731-REG/fotodiox_vzlx_thrtl_eos_nex_pro_vizelx_nd_throttle_adpter.html

Aug 16, 2017 at 04:40 PM
Reagan
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Out of the shadows to ask for input

Stephanie Ryan wrote:
I have a vintage minolta sr-t 101 with a rokkor 55mm 1.7. I should have checked the camera store for film. Can I use the Rokkor lens on the fuji?
)

That Minolta and lens was my first SLR back in 1971
I believe I paid $119 for it
I can still remember where I bought it
I don't know how I remember that
It was a great camera

Reagan

Aug 16, 2017 at 07:10 PM
brian_f2.8
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Out of the shadows to ask for input

Lots of great feedback but to be honest, rent the XT-2 and go from there. I have the X-Pro 1 with a 90/35. Great lenses, hate to sell but I kinda have to.

Aug 16, 2017 at 09:16 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Out of the shadows to ask for input

I too was looking for a small camera and took a close look at Fuji X. I compared the size & weight to a Nikon D5300 and honestly, they're about the same. The D5300 has more pixels and better focus. I ended up buying a used D5300 with a used Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 OS. The cost is considerably less than the Fuji, but I think it's overall a better performing camera. This works very well for "street" photography, and Nikon has several excellent macro lenses. (I have the 105mm f2.8 VR.) There are more Nikon lens choices, flash, and everything else. If you ever decide you want a bigger or FX camera, you can stay with the Nikon system. (My other camera is a Nikon D800E.)

Kent in SD

Weiner Dog

Aug 16, 2017 at 09:53 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.