Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · My tour of the balkans

spazegun2213

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My tour of the balkans

Let me preface with the fact that I'm new to photography. I purchased my DSLR about a year ago and life took over... which means it was an expensive paper weight in the hands of a novice. In April I picked the camera up again and started actually using it. I read and viewed tutorials at a furious rate, because in May I was going on a 2 week motorcycle vacation through the Balkans. It was a crazy, amazing, once in a life time trip through 8 countries. Needless to say I had to bring the DSLR and try to snap something good. My buddy that i was riding with was awesome by letting me run around with a camera every time we stopped. I'm sure it annoyed him a little, but in the end I think I caught some amazing pictures.

When I got home, I had my next problem, how to edit them!? I'd never really used lightroom before and photoshop was WAY out of my league. So I hastily edited them in lightroom and cranked up the saturation, because it looks cool RIGHT?! I posted some of them here in the Critique section to see what others thought. Sure, the pictures were cool, and the colors were amazing, but you all could tell something was off and so could I. So I went back to learning, taking more pictures and trying out different edits and workflows to come up with something of my own. I think tonight I hit my breakthrough and here are a few shots that I think are edited well. But as always I'd love your inputs!!!

A road in slovenia where I first saw the snow capped mountains of the Dolomites.
Balkans-5000 by spazegun, on Flickr

Near the top of a pass at the dolomites I turned around and saw this. I was blown away.
Balkans-5015 by spazegun, on Flickr

Aug 15, 2017 at 12:08 PM
xterra07
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My tour of the balkans

Great scenery, good editing too. Photoshop is not that hard and you can do very cool things easily (once you see how the first time), like removing a dust spot (or fly, bird)

Aug 15, 2017 at 12:28 PM
junglialoh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My tour of the balkans

nice set of Gorgeous scenes. Thanks to share.

Aug 16, 2017 at 05:17 AM
Pavel
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My tour of the balkans

Great photos, the second one is somehow unique looking as well as so inspiring. I sort of like your photos all the better in that I don't see the typical photoshop retouching on your photos that I often see overdone. It makes me remember how good a great landscape felt when it was gotten just so straight onto film. It seemed like thrice the achievement back then, at least for me.

I recently came back from a five week trip to visit my daughter in Texas and did the roughly 3700 miles round trip on my KLR. I took my camera gear but wound up only using my phone just because it turned out that my health was not really up to the trip at this moment.

I think the worst thing was that I was packed up too tight for the luggage I had and right now I don't have a tank bag so it was just too much effort to reach for the real camera and lenses. Any advice on how you manage your gear on the bike?

Aug 16, 2017 at 12:44 PM
spazegun2213

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My tour of the balkans

Pavel wrote:
Great photos, the second one is somehow unique looking as well as so inspiring. I sort of like your photos all the better in that I don't see the typical photoshop retouching on your photos that I often see overdone. It makes me remember how good a great landscape felt when it was gotten just so straight onto film. It seemed like thrice the achievement back then, at least for me.

I recently came back from a five week trip to visit my daughter in Texas and did the roughly 3700 miles round trip on my KLR. I took my camera
...Show more

Thanks for the kind words. I'm far to inexperienced with Lightroom or Photoshop to do anything too amazing.

3700 miles on a KLR is quite a haul!! They are know for their reliability, but not their comfort! I'm glad you made the trip safely, even if that meant more cell phone pictures over others.

This was the setup for the 2 weeks of camping. 20L tank bag, 30L tail bag, dual 20L saddle bags, with a 650ml can of gas, and my tent tied to the back. I could fit all my electronics in the tank bag and that went with me when the duke was parked. I also ran power to the tank bag so I could charge stuff on the go. As for camera gear I only took the 35mm lens to really focus on composition and quality over things... and to keep space/weight down.
when I do this again, I'll take a few more lenses and keep them in other places, but the 35mm did really well.

Duke-4621 by spazegun, on Flickr

Aug 17, 2017 at 10:51 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.