Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Recent Fuji adopter needs advice to keep the Fuji colors ...

lukejc1

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Recent Fuji adopter needs advice to keep the Fuji colors from looking oversaturated and unnatural.

I'm a landscape photographer and I have been shooting with my X-T20 for about a month now. I really like shooting with it. The small form factor, the controls, everything about shooting with my new Fuji is a pleasure.

However, I am so far not thrilled with the RAW files I get. To me the "Fuji colors" look way over saturated. (For landscapes that is. For portraits, flowers, and things like that I think they are beautiful). I've tried different camera profiles and such but haven't found a workflow I like yet. I know working with RAW files from different systems takes a different approach so I'm not willing to give up on Fuji quite yet.

I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on how to control the colors a bit to keep them from looking unnatural.

Aug 15, 2017 at 01:40 PM
TheEmrys
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Recent Fuji adopter needs advice to keep the Fuji colors from looking oversaturated and unnatural.

Well, make sure you aren't using Velvia..... that's the first place to start. What are you using to process your RAW's?

Aug 15, 2017 at 01:58 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Recent Fuji adopter needs advice to keep the Fuji colors from looking oversaturated and unnatural.

What software are you using? If it's LR make sure you start by having your import preset set to Adobe Standard. You can adjust from there.

Aug 15, 2017 at 01:59 PM
rdeloe
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Recent Fuji adopter needs advice to keep the Fuji colors from looking oversaturated and unnatural.

You're already working with the RAW files so the solution you're looking for is certainly within reach. You don't say if you're using Photoshop, Lightroom, Capture One, or something else. I'm using Lightroom and I find that the different camera calibration options provide quite a few different palettes. (Mind you I'm not your guy for colour because I shoot for black and white!) Some people claim that Capture One does a much better job; I wouldn't know.

Anyway, let's say you're using Lightroom: I suggest you try the Provia camera calibration. It's quite neutral. That's my starting point. Also, once you find some adjustments that work for your tastes, if you're using Lightroom you can save them all in an import preset.

One other suggestion (again, for Lightroom and on Windows): Lightroom has come a long way in terms of how it develops Fuji RAFs, but it still messes up vegetation. Some people are quite happy with LR's handling of RAFs now (e.g., see this post: http://thephotofundamentalist.com/fujifilm/help-sharpening-x-trans-iii-files-adobe-lightroom/). I'm not, so I run my RAFs through Iridient X Transformer (on Windows) before I bring them into Lightroom. I've posted workflow notes in the comments on the article above.

Aug 15, 2017 at 02:00 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Recent Fuji adopter needs advice to keep the Fuji colors from looking oversaturated and unnatural.

rdeloe wrote:
You're already working with the RAW files so the solution you're looking for is certainly within reach. You don't say if you're using Photoshop, Lightroom, Capture One, or something else. I'm using Lightroom and I find that the different camera calibration options provide quite a few different palettes. (Mind you I'm not your guy for colour because I shoot for black and white!) Some people claim that Capture One does a much better job; I wouldn't know.

Anyway, let's say you're using Lightroom: I suggest you try the Provia camera calibration. It's quite neutral. That's my starting point. Also, once
...Show more

I end up using Provia a lot, but sometimes that's even a little much for my taste. Adobe Standard is the less saturated of them all. It's all a matter of taste, but that's the beauty of working with RAW files, you can always adjust to your liking.

Aug 15, 2017 at 02:06 PM
lukejc1

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Recent Fuji adopter needs advice to keep the Fuji colors from looking oversaturated and unnatural.

I am using Lightroom CC to edit. I'll try using Adobe Standard more. I try to avoid Velvia.

Aug 15, 2017 at 02:23 PM
lukejc1

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Recent Fuji adopter needs advice to keep the Fuji colors from looking oversaturated and unnatural.

I am using Lightroom CC to edit. I'll try using Adobe Standard more. I try to avoid Velvia.

Aug 15, 2017 at 02:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rdeloe
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Recent Fuji adopter needs advice to keep the Fuji colors from looking oversaturated and unnatural.

Velvia is definitely over cooked to my taste!

Leighton has it right: with a RAW process and Lightroom you ought to be able to get exactly the look you want.

Something else to think about: have you calibrated your monitor? Sometimes people have them too bright or contrasty, and that messes with the colours too.

Aug 15, 2017 at 03:36 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Recent Fuji adopter needs advice to keep the Fuji colors from looking oversaturated and unnatural.

I wonder if you are using LR if it is using "as shot" and your camera is set to Velvia. I'm thinking you can override the camera settings when processing the RAW files.

I rented the X-T2 for a week to test and agree Velvia is overcooked, but the other settings gave nice soft colors.

Aug 15, 2017 at 04:12 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Recent Fuji adopter needs advice to keep the Fuji colors from looking oversaturated and unnatural.

What Rob said. It really does help to calibrate your monitor.

Aug 15, 2017 at 04:21 PM
alba63
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Recent Fuji adopter needs advice to keep the Fuji colors from looking oversaturated and unnatural.

Neg Pro Std should be a nice start. Or Adobe Standard. Never have seen oversaturation with these.

Aug 15, 2017 at 07:26 PM
lukejc1

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Recent Fuji adopter needs advice to keep the Fuji colors from looking oversaturated and unnatural.

My monitor is regularly calibrated so that isn't a problem. I've been playing around more with Adobe Standard and the colors are definitely easier to control. Thanks everyone.

Aug 16, 2017 at 01:42 PM
Mike Tuomey
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Recent Fuji adopter needs advice to keep the Fuji colors from looking oversaturated and unnatural.

Check out the Huelight profiles:

www.colorfidelity.com/fujifilm.htm

No affiliation, I just like them.

Aug 16, 2017 at 05:04 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password