New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Another from Valley of Fire

solarishead
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Another from Valley of Fire

The panorama that I was working on has been put on the back burner for the moment. I'm having mixed feelings about pursuing it as a large print although I'll certainly pursue it at a smaller scale.

In the meantime, I'd appreciate any feedback on this image. It was earlier in the day when there were a few clouds present which helps strengthen the image. Wish they would have stuck around all day!

NIKON D750    20.0 mm f/2.8 lens    20mm    f/16.0    1/20s    100 ISO    +2.0 EV  

Aug 15, 2017 at 01:36 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Another from Valley of Fire

I really want to like this, but it has a feeling of being distorted, as if pointed upward.

Aug 15, 2017 at 02:28 AM
Fred Amico
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Another from Valley of Fire

Same as Ben. Before I saw his comment, was going to ask you if these rocks actually are leaning back like that. The way it is now, just doesn't work for me.

Aug 15, 2017 at 03:16 AM
solarishead
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Another from Valley of Fire

Ben/Fred,

I agree with your comments. What was challenging here, was that in order to get everything in frame, I had to stand under the main subject down by the road. The rocks do slant backwards, but my positioning accentuates it rather dramatically. Before posting I did play with the vertical transform adjustment in LR but decided to leave it as-is because I would lose the foreground as a result of the adjustment. I didn't want to cut a portion of the lower left bush out.

Here's a version with a rather significant crop and vertical adjustment (-100). Think this looks better?

Mark

NIKON D750    20.0 mm f/2.8 lens    20mm    f/16.0    1/20s    100 ISO    +2.0 EV  

Aug 15, 2017 at 10:11 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Another from Valley of Fire

I rather like the foreground of the original and this does not fix the lean enough to warrant the crop. This shot needs a a TSE lens.

Aug 15, 2017 at 01:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Another from Valley of Fire

Ben knows this much better than I do. And I suspect he is right. Looks like the tilt-shift lens is the way to go.
I prefer the less lean of the second, but find them both a bit off-balancing despite the otherwise effective and appealing captures. Probably can't use a polarizer on the sky with the very wide angle, but I might compensate by lowering the luminosity of the blues to increase the depth. Matter of taste, since the sky does appear quite natural.

Scott

Aug 15, 2017 at 02:07 PM
solarishead
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Another from Valley of Fire

Unfortunately, the lean to the rocks is real. TS would help I suppose, but it would still be present. Here's the Google maps view. Shot was taken from just off the road towards the top of the screen.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Valley+of+Fire+Visitor+Center/@36.4123066,-114.5546931,149m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x80c96b3795ee4f91:0x8be4a433c9b297c0!8m2!3d36.4299623!4d-114.5138211

I do agree with you though. This particular formation just seems a bit "off" no matter how it's edited. I probably could have worked the subject a bit more shooting from different angles to make it less awkward looking. I very much appreciate the input on this one.

Mark

Aug 15, 2017 at 02:34 PM
beavens
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Another from Valley of Fire

At first I was not feeling this one for all the reasons mentioned, but I stuck around and now I'm actually kinda a fan. Yeah, it's a little awkward, but overall I feel it works quite nicely.

Color palette is great and the WA adds an interesting perspective, along with assisting comp and flow IMO.

I catch the largest scrub in the lower left then get pulled up with the natural arrow formed. The formation allows my eyes to spread up throughout the rocks into the clouds and out of the frame.

Perhaps I'm just a devil's advocate, but I dig it.

Jeff

Aug 17, 2017 at 02:08 AM
solarishead
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Another from Valley of Fire

Nice illustration Jeff. Thanks for taking the time to put this together with additional comments and post.

Aug 17, 2017 at 11:13 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password