New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Action Sequence

Kevin T
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Action Sequence

What do you guys do with an action sequence? My trusty 10FPS was large and in charge. Any CC on the processing or shot?

Kevin T 2017

Kevin T 2017

Kevin T 2017

Kevin T 2017

Kevin T 2017

Kevin T 2017

Kevin T 2017

Aug 14, 2017 at 09:17 PM
solarishead
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Action Sequence

Nicely captured! For some reason, I find the concrete pieces at the bottom of the frame a bit distracting. Crop them out and I think it's a bit stronger. Nicely processed otherwise.

Aug 15, 2017 at 01:39 AM
eeneryma
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Action Sequence

Great job Kevin!! Reminds me of Eadweard Muybridge. Check him out.

Just curious, was your camera set up on a tripod!

I like all the surroundings that add to the atmosphere. The signs, murals, graffitti. Just a wonderful series.

Steve

Aug 15, 2017 at 02:18 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Action Sequence

Very well captured.

Aug 15, 2017 at 02:26 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Action Sequence

Atypical ... a nice departure from the norm.

Aug 15, 2017 at 02:27 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Action Sequence

Have you considered combining them so the jumper appears in all positions in the same composite image?

Aug 15, 2017 at 05:40 AM
Kevin T
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Action Sequence

solarishead wrote:
Nicely captured! For some reason, I find the concrete pieces at the bottom of the frame a bit distracting. Crop them out and I think it's a bit stronger. Nicely processed otherwise.

Oh thanks, I can manage that kind of edit!
---------------------------------------------

eeneryma wrote:
Great job Kevin!! Reminds me of Eadweard Muybridge. Check him out.

Just curious, was your camera set up on a tripod!

I like all the surroundings that add to the atmosphere. The signs, murals, graffitti. Just a wonderful series.

Steve

I will do that. No tripod but sitting on ground with a 12-28 f4 zoom. I may have rested camera on knee. I had a lot of time to prepare for the shot because this was the grand finale. That means that by then I had tried all known camera modes (to me) and had clicked and chimped and managed this group at 28mm 1/500 -.7EV ISO 400

ben egbert wrote:
Very well captured.

Thanks Very Much!

RustyBug wrote:
Atypical ... a nice departure from the norm.

Thank You...the whole day was a departure from the norm for us. We woke up and had nothing planned so I suggested we go to Venice beach since it had been years since I was there. The kids immediately freaked out when they started to take in the "people" and their "flavors". I watched it build and suddenly I was the weird person on the beach who wasn't dressed in all black and white! The kids are trying to talk us into leaving just as the barker for the act called everyone over. Whew!!! The show was awesome! Saved the day!

AuntiPode wrote:
Have you considered combining them so the jumper appears in all positions in the same composite image?

Whoa....This is a fantastic idea! Thanks! I am not sure how to do this but I will look into it. I could use layers in my old version of PS but I have been trying to work exclusively with NX2 and NXD.

Aug 15, 2017 at 04:11 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Action Sequence

Excellent series Kevin!

They work great in a set like this but if you were to choose a single frame, I'd go with #4 I think.

I like Karen's idea but I have no idea how to easily do such a thing. He would overlap himself in a few places and the thought of selecting him with all the busy BG stuff makes me want to cry a little.

Make it happen man! I want to see your final composite!

Dave

Aug 15, 2017 at 05:52 PM
Kevin T
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Action Sequence

AuntiPode wrote:

This was a fun drill. I think it would be easier with some more pixels to mess with though. I didnt go back to redo the NEF conversions to start at a higher rez whoch maybe i would do if starting fresh.

What do you think of this effort?

Aug 15, 2017 at 09:34 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Action Sequence

I like it. Definitely tells the story.

As an extra polish ti marginally improve the story, perhaps select the background and add a slight lens blur to mimic shooting with a wider aperture to make the background grab a bit less visual attention?

Aug 15, 2017 at 11:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Rick Joyce
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Action Sequence

As an aside to an aside to an aside in watching this talented vaulter and your amazing capture, it is interesting to note the ages of the "vaultees" related to how close they touch their toes

Aug 16, 2017 at 12:24 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Action Sequence

For example consideration:

Aug 16, 2017 at 09:22 AM
Kevin T
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Action Sequence

AuntiPode wrote:
For example consideration:

That is awesome and very much to my liking. You know I approached this scene without knowing what I would mine from it when I got back. The jumper was of course incredible, but I also had never seen such a crowd of people facing me with an implied "license" to shoot them. So much talk of privacy these days. There was a LOT going on!

Kevin T 2017

NIKON D500    12mm    f/13.0    1/640s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Aug 16, 2017 at 04:32 PM
beavens
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Action Sequence

Dang it looks like I am late to the party here! I was gonna say what Karen did about the composite - IMO it's the only way to go about doing this series justice. Otherwise you're kinda left with a series that doesn't quite connect on their own.

Please post your 'final product' once you've finished tweaking as this will be a very cool photo!

Jeff

Aug 16, 2017 at 05:15 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Action Sequence

Nice work on the composite!

Aug 16, 2017 at 06:20 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Action Sequence

I just found this which might interest some folks as a method to combine actions into a single image:

Aug 17, 2017 at 08:01 AM
Kevin T
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Action Sequence

OMG This has been a tough one to work out. I don't even know if I am happy with the result but I learned a few tricks in NX2. Here is a first cut that may not pass the pixel peepers test but my eyes are bloody from looking at this image so long! I will watch Anti's video next and then take a breath and then figure out if I can do this a better way.

Kevin T 2017

First Attempt

Aug 17, 2017 at 07:42 PM
Kevin T
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Action Sequence

AuntiPode wrote:
I just found this which might interest some folks as a method to combine actions into a single image:

Nice but for me working in NX2 without layers here is how I did it. (There may be a better way I am not sure)
First you apply a Gaussian blur to the selected area of the picture. The general area was not too tough to define since I have a clear foreground and background elements. Green is shade is the system hint of where the effect will be applied.

Then I used the selection brush and removed areas from that effect by painting over them. [selection brush tool with the "minus" selected]. Pic two is a shot of just what I painted and it's easy to see where I used different sized brushes and unfortunately where I may need to go back and do a better job of painting in the areas to not have the blur!

green area is where the effect will be applied

selection mask shown. This is the area that will not be affected by the previously applied effect

Aug 17, 2017 at 08:03 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Action Sequence

Actually, I included the link just because it was a coincidence I stumbled upon a tutorial on a technique for combining an action sequence so soon after suggesting such a combo. I've not tried it, but it seemed interesting. The are so many ways to skin a cat in photo post processing, ... all of which I'm sure a cat would prefer to an actual skinning.

All that matters is that you create the image that says what you want it to say, hopefully in the reasonably best way you can. I mention "reasonably" only because sometimes *I* get carried away enjoying the process more than the result. If I was doing it for money, that would be very silly. Fortunately, I'm retired and can be as silly as I want.

Edited on Aug 17, 2017 at 08:55 PM · View previous versions

Aug 17, 2017 at 08:47 PM
Kevin T
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Action Sequence

AuntiPode wrote:
Actually, I included the link just because it was a coincidence I stumbled upon a tutorial on a technique for combining an action sequence so soon after suggesting such a combo. I've not tried it, but it seemed interesting. The are so many ways to skin a cat in photo post processing, ... all of which I'm sure a cat would prefer to an actual skinning.

I am glad you suggested the idea. I would not have thought to do it and I had never used the technique of painting (or masking) an area to remove a globally applied effect! I shoot a lot of waterpolo action and am looking forward to the upcoming season to try this technique some more! :cheers

It should be a lot easier to mask out the round ball!

Aug 17, 2017 at 08:53 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password