New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Yosemite: my Sony kit or Fuji kit?

brafman
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Yosemite: my Sony kit or Fuji kit?

I'm debating between 3 possible camera kits to bring on my first trip to Yosemite. Are any of these three the clearly better choice?

1. Fuji 14mm, 16-55 f2.8, 55-200mm (APS-C)

2. Sony A7rii 21 Loxia, 28mm zeiss c/y, 55mm sony zeiss, 135mm carl zess jena f3.5

3. Sony A7rii 16-35 f2.8 GM (I would have to buy this), 55, 135

I'm leaning against #2 because I think I want the convenience and range of a zoom for the landscape shots. But I'm having a hard time deciding between 1 and 3 since I would have to buy the (expensive) sony zoom, the Fuji telephoto zoom seems like a better choice than the 135mm prime for the telephoto end, and I'm not sure if 16-35mm or 24-85mm (full frame equivalent) is the better landscape zoom range to have for Yosemite.

Any advice?

Aug 14, 2017 at 07:44 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Yosemite: my Sony kit or Fuji kit?

I would take the Sony, 16-35mm, 28mm, and the 135mm. Primes are going to be sharper than zooms and the greater the zoom ratio the lower the image quality of a lens.

A 16-35mm and a 70-200mm are all I need for landscape photography. Lots of wildlife in Yosemite NP so don't focus entirely on the landscapes.

Aug 14, 2017 at 08:11 PM
brafman
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Yosemite: my Sony kit or Fuji kit?

Thanks!

Aug 15, 2017 at 11:36 PM
DougVaughn
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Yosemite: my Sony kit or Fuji kit?

Many naturally think of wide angle when going to Yosemite because that's what we often hear for landscapes. You'll be surprised at how much you shoot in the 50-70mm range and beyond. In fact, I wouldn't want to go without something comparable to a 70-200mm full-frame, because you'll find many details to isolate or features to compress. The 135mm would probably cover that base well enough since you already own it. There are a few places where something like the Loxia 21 will come in handy (such as down near the river looking toward El Capitan).

Many love the Fuji for landscape, and that's great for them. I can't seem to fall in love with it because Lightroom does screwy things to grass and foilage. I've heard Capture One is better with the X-Trans raw files. I can recommend the 16-55 f/2.8 lens, which I've taken on a few trips. It's a great all around performer.

Aug 16, 2017 at 02:29 AM
DougVaughn
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Yosemite: my Sony kit or Fuji kit?

I should also warn you that summer can be brutal in Yosemite, although you didn't specify your travel dates. An article over the weekend talked about 3 hour delays getting into the valley because visitor counts are so high. As a photographer, you'll likely be doing this anyway, but drive in early and don't get caught with the 10:00am tourists.

Sometimes you'll find fewer crowds at Glacier Point and far fewer at Tuolumne Meadows. Many think the valley is all Yosemite has to offer, and they're sadly mistaken. Plus, those higher elevations are slightly cooler on a summer day.

I lived a 3-hour drive from Yosemite for many years and miss going when the mood strikes. I still make it a point to get there at least every other year. You will love it.

Aug 16, 2017 at 02:36 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

brafman
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Yosemite: my Sony kit or Fuji kit?

Thanks Doug. It is amazing how many lenses and cameras one can own and still feel like you don't have the right equipment!

I'm going to be there Fri Sept 8 - Sat Sept 9. Hopefully past the peak crowds though still a weekend.

Speaking of crowds and traffic, one thing I haven't understood -- once inside the valley area, is it better to drive from location to location (e.g. Cathedral Beach, valley view, etc.), or take the shuttle? I heard there can be bad traffic within the valley area, but I assume the shuttle gets stuck in the traffic too plus you have to wait for it to show up?

Aug 16, 2017 at 04:26 AM
dalite
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Yosemite: my Sony kit or Fuji kit?

Yosemite is a great outdoor destination but, not meaning to ruin your plan, you should be aware that there is a huge fire at the Wawona area which is south of Yosemite Valley but part of the park. Today's TV news reported that one can barely see Half Dome in the valley. Yosemite has had a few fires this year (bad luck). I would expect air quality to not be too good even into September.

When I visited Yosemite in early May, that time preceded the fires but there was so much road construction detours within the valley floor and so many car exhausts as to create a poor haze that ruined any shot of the valley from Tunnel View. Do a Google search and check out the Yosemite Wawona fire for park conditions.

If you do go, just drive around in your car. The shuttle is limiting in that you cannot choose your time and it does not have the flexibility as to exactly where you want to go in the valley and for how long.

Aug 18, 2017 at 03:56 AM
brafman
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Yosemite: my Sony kit or Fuji kit?

Thanks...and ugh.

Aug 18, 2017 at 03:02 PM
mdude85
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Yosemite: my Sony kit or Fuji kit?

I have not been to Yosemite but I have been to similar places (Zion, GNCP, Columbia River Gorge, etc...) and I'd say the mid-range zoom is more useful than the wide zoom. But that's just my personal style, yours may vary. Unless you are highlighting some interesting foreground feature, I just find most wide angle zooms inadequate to capture dramatic vistas. Medium range or long zooms compress the scene, bringing the far-off features closer.

I don't know much about Sony but with your Fuji kit you don't need both the 14 and 16-55. It's redundant in my opinion especially if you want to travel light. Consider bringing along a 35 instead of the 14.

Aug 18, 2017 at 03:14 PM
brafman
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Yosemite: my Sony kit or Fuji kit?

Mdude - Funny you should say that, I came around to the same conclusion and last night ordered the sony 24-70 gm. Though I may still take the 21 too. All assuming the fire/smoke doesn't get out of hand.

Aug 18, 2017 at 09:44 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password