New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · WOW....just WOW!

Troop

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · WOW....just WOW!

Used 'Chubby' for the first time in anger this weekend, I was standing directly behind the goal, when these two players clashed....apart from applying one of my own cinematic presets in LR which has slightly elevated clarity levels...nothing has been done to this image.

I am totally blown away by this lens, its is better than I could have possibly imagined. I initially got it primarily for portrait work....but thought I would give it a try in a fast moving sport environment (normally I would be carrying a 70-200 f2.8 on a second body to my 200-400 on my D500, but I decided to use Chubby instead of the 70-200).

I am particularly impressed with the compression, AF accuracy is incredible, and that sharpness.....WOW!!!

Nikon D4s, Nikon 200mm f2, ISO 100, 1/2000 @ f2.8

Aug 14, 2017 at 12:06 PM
DABNIK
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · WOW....just WOW!

Love the shot - but my bank account will not be happy!!!!

Aug 14, 2017 at 12:24 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · WOW....just WOW!

Preachin' to da choir...but we're glad you're happy.

Aug 14, 2017 at 03:21 PM
low325
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · WOW....just WOW!

specialized lens for sure, but its output is amazing.

Aug 14, 2017 at 03:23 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · WOW....just WOW!

It is one of the absolute best af lenses that exists. Imagine what the af is like on a D5....

Aug 14, 2017 at 03:39 PM
Mataz426
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · WOW....just WOW!

All the big primes are WOW

Aug 14, 2017 at 03:40 PM
Weasel_Loader
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · WOW....just WOW!

But you shot it at f/2.8 Why oh why?

I just sold my 200/2 after two years of shooting rodeo with it. Incredible lens, but hand holding for two full days of shooting each month was not good on my back. Just switched to the new 70-200/2.8E FL.

Good luck with your chubby!

Aug 14, 2017 at 04:34 PM
Julius
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · WOW....just WOW!

Mark_L wrote:
It is one of the absolute best af lenses that exists. Imagine what the af is like on a D5....

+1

Aug 14, 2017 at 08:36 PM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · WOW....just WOW!

Great shot mate...it a favourite of mine and I've only used it on portraits. You'll love the results it produces for the.

Aug 14, 2017 at 08:40 PM
Elijah
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · WOW....just WOW!

Chubby is an awesome lens. In some ways I regret selling mine, in some I don't.

Had I done this as a hobby, I'd own a chubby. Over any telephoto lens.

Aug 14, 2017 at 11:06 PM
nuclearjock
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · WOW....just WOW!

Elijah wrote:
Chubby is an awesome lens. In some ways I regret selling mine, in some I don't.

Had I done this as a hobby, I'd own a chubby. Over any telephoto lens.

Careful, 400E FL is pretty tasty.

Aug 15, 2017 at 01:18 AM
la puffin
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · WOW....just WOW!

Mark_L wrote:

It's pretty killer. I shot a USTA tournament this weekend with the 70-200/2.8E FL and the 200/2G VR1, both on D5(s). The 70-200E was amazing, but I wanted to blur out the BG a little more than 2.8 could do, so I shot a bunch of sets with the 200. I'm having a tough time getting ready to part with it. This is a heavy crop.

http://www.shoaps.com/samples/200-2-001.jpg

Aug 15, 2017 at 02:00 AM
tmak400
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · WOW....just WOW!

You captured the intensity of the match with your photo!

Aug 15, 2017 at 07:07 AM
Troop

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · WOW....just WOW!

Weasel_Loader wrote:
But you shot it at f/2.8 Why oh why?

I just sold my 200/2 after two years of shooting rodeo with it. Incredible lens, but hand holding for two full days of shooting each month was not good on my back. Just switched to the new 70-200/2.8E FL.

Good luck with your chubby!

TBH I had honestly forgot I had f2 to play with!!! all my other lenses apart from the 200-400 f4 are f2.8.....just habit i suppose..I actually wanted to test its bokeh, accuracy and sharpness at its widest setting...(seems going to have to try it again...)

TBF I bought Chubby for equine & dog portraiture and that alone...but couldn't resist giving it a try at something fast moving....I didn't expect the images i got from the weekends Polo...

As for carrying it...I normally carry three bodies (two on me, the other on a mono-pod) for my sports...I swapped my 70-200 combo for the 200 as I normally shoot at 200 most of the time (the third body as a 24-70...just in case) so I'm used to carrying a lot of gear (I wear Lowe S&F Harnesses...dependent on weather ....), I didn't notice the extra weight at all....

In the long run, chubby will fit in where it needs to in my arsenal....for now tho, just beasting it to see what it can do....as you do!!

Aug 15, 2017 at 09:39 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.