Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · New to the Olympus system, I have questions?

R.E. Simmons

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New to the Olympus system, I have questions?

I just purchased the Olympus OM-D E-M1 mkII plus several pro lenses.

I have some questions. I'm not finding any quick or easy answers having to flip back and forth with a PDF file on the computer. If you have really gotten to know the system I would appreciate hearing from you with with your answers.

1. Is there a way to "lock" the focus point (s) on the super menu. Will one setting work in all modes (A, S, M, P?) They seem to drift when I taking phots and I very often change them by hitting the 4 way positioning buttons.

2. What is it I am activating when I accidentally push on the corner of the back image screen and take pictures I had no idea I was taking? Is there a way to stop this capability?

3. What is the image quality like adding the Olympus 1.4X tele-converter to the Zuiko 40/150mm F2.8 Pro lens? I you have the combination would you buy it again?

4. How do I get to the low range of the ISO range to be able to use ISO 64?

Olympus is sending me a printed manual however I find the way it's written difficultI find the PDF file.

Thanks for any constructive replies or helpful tips & suggestions.

I am really enjoying the system

The best to all,
R.E. Simmons

Aug 13, 2017 at 08:33 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New to the Olympus system, I have questions?

Not saying this will answer your questions, but there's a one hour free tutorial on this camera by Tony Northrup on YouTube:

Aug 13, 2017 at 10:49 PM
glassartist
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New to the Olympus system, I have questions?

I'll leave the MKII questions to others. I have the mc14 and the 40-150 2.8. As far as I can tell, the mc14 has little, if any, impact on IQ. My mc14 is more or less permanently attached to the 40-150 and I'll only take it off if I absolutely need the extra stop or the 40mm.

Aug 14, 2017 at 07:00 AM
R.E. Simmons

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New to the Olympus system, I have questions?

Dan Brown, Thank you for the link to the tutorial. I twas very informative. I appreciate it!

Aug 14, 2017 at 07:38 AM
formula4speed
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New to the Olympus system, I have questions?

There is an icon in the bottom left of the screen that controls the touch functions of the rear LCD. One setting lets you tap to focus and shoot, the other you tap the screen to focus on that spot and the third disables the touchscreen.

Touching that icon on the screen scrolls through those options.

Aug 14, 2017 at 08:08 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New to the Olympus system, I have questions?

The Olympus Learn Center offers a lot of tutorials:

http://www.getolympus.com/learn_center/

Aug 14, 2017 at 10:01 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New to the Olympus system, I have questions?

I, too , am new to the system. Learning as I go , but so far here is what I have figured out. If I am incorrect , please someone let me know.

1. Is there a way to "lock" the focus point (s) on the super menu. Will one setting work in all modes (A, S, M, P?) They seem to drift when I taking phots and I very often change them by hitting the 4 way positioning buttons

Have not found a way to lock focus point.

Not sure what settings you are looking to work the same in all modes, not an easy question to answer. Main control dials operate differently in each mode. Example in M , the default is one dial controls aperture, the other shutter. You can not adjust exposure compensation in M unless you have Auto ISO selected. In S one dial controls shutter , the other aperture, but when you get the settings with proper exposure dialed in, the the front dial controls exposure compensation. There are so many options to change how the dials and buttons function !

If your focus point is drifting , check to see what auto focus mode you are in. If you are in S-AF or C-AF with single point selected, then your point will not move unless you move it by the dial or super control panel.
However, if you are in C-AF with 5, 9 or the entire amount selected, the camera will move the point/group around. I have not found a way for me to select where to put the focus group .

3. What is the image quality like adding the Olympus 1.4X tele-converter to the Zuiko 40/150mm F2.8 Pro lens? I you have the combination would you buy it again?

Absolutely would buy this combo again. I find little to no degrading of the image quality using the TC.

4. How do I get to the low range of the ISO range to be able to use ISO 64?

On the Super Control Panel, press ok button. One of the options will turn green. Scroll to the ISO Box, top left. HIt OK. The screen will change, and you will see the available ISOs on the bottom. Use the front wheel to select the one you want and click OK. From what I have read, Low ISO is approximately ISO 64.
If you do not want to use the SCP to switch ISO, and want to do it viewing through the view finder , the default is using the AEL/AFL lever. On the AEL/AFL lever , switch it to 2, scroll the back dial and the ISO options appear in the view finder. The front dial will give you Exposure Compensation. All of this can to changed and customized, but that is the default for position 2.

I have ordered a book, Mastering The Olymous OM D EM 1 MKII by Darrell Young. It is to be released sometimes this month, that is supposed explain how , what and why all the things the camera does. I had previously ordered Tony Northrups book on the camera, I did not find it that helpful, only covered things on the surface and no good explanations for what certain options do or don't do in my opinion.

Birdie

Aug 15, 2017 at 09:44 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New to the Olympus system, I have questions?

Birdie - these are outstanding samples of the 40-150 PRO + MC14:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1502228

May have to do with the fact that you have a very good copy of the TC, or it be your capture and processing skills ... or all of that!

Personally I am not as impressed with my copy of the MC14 - as I was with the Canon 1.4x TC Mk III that I used to own. My own samples have not blown me away. Could be that my first generation copy of the TC is not as good, and it could also be that I don't have the skillsets that you do, I don't know. But I would personally avoid using the TC if I can help it, as not only do I think that there will be at least some quality degradation but your AF will slow down slightly too - because you are losing a stop with the TC.

Aug 15, 2017 at 11:20 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New to the Olympus system, I have questions?

bobbytan wrote:
Birdie - these are outstanding samples of the 40-150 PRO + MC14:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1502228

May have to do with the fact that you have a very good copy of the TC, or it be your capture and processing skills ... or all of that!

Personally I am not as impressed with my copy of the MC14 - as I was with the Canon 1.4x TC Mk III that I used to own. My own samples have not blown me away. Could be that my first generation copy of the TC is not as good, and it could also be that I don't have
...Show more

Thank you Bobby ! I doubt seriously it is your skill set judging from the work you produce. I would think it is the TC. Maybe you could send to Olympus to have it checked.

Birdie

Aug 15, 2017 at 01:01 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New to the Olympus system, I have questions?

That's not a bad idea but I will have to take some test shots first so I can show them some samples. I need a good copy for Costa Rica!

birdied wrote:
Thank you Bobby ! I doubt seriously it is your skill set judging from the work you produce. I would think it is the TC. Maybe you could send to Olympus to have it checked.

Birdie

Aug 15, 2017 at 01:04 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.