New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Light & Power ...

RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Light & Power ...

Just some experimentation with tonal values.

Aug 13, 2017 at 08:22 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Light & Power ...

Very nice, especially the first one. Would love to hear how you separated the tonal values and how you changed them (which tools).

Aug 14, 2017 at 03:16 PM
Kevin T
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Light & Power ...

I like these. Is first one SOC and then working in post or are we talking in camera edits? I keep looking at the second one and it has a "minted" quality to me. It reminds me of something printed on the back of currency. Maybe just the architecture?

Aug 14, 2017 at 04:54 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Light & Power ...

I kinda dig the second one for the "gothic" look it has. Cool building.

I have yet to play around with ISO 50 on mine. I seem to always forget it's there because they buried it in the menus rather than an extra choice in the ISO menu.

Might need to bump the shadows up about 5 stops to really bring it to life though.

Aug 14, 2017 at 05:16 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Light & Power ...

lighthound wrote:
Might need to bump the shadows up about 5 stops to really bring it to life though.

ROFLMAO

I kinda dig the second one for the "gothic" look it has. Cool building.

I have yet to play around with ISO 50 on mine. I seem to always forget it's there because they buried it in the menus rather than an extra choice in the ISO menu.

Thanks ... I haven't done a lot lately, but I do dig some on the industrial vibe.

It's just a 'one trip' into the menu ... you just change the minimum setpoint. You don't have to go into menu every time you want to use it.

Aug 15, 2017 at 02:31 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Light & Power ...

These are both composites (the second is just some toning adjustments of the first).

The technique I'm exploring is shooting different exposure AND different WB, then using various blending modes in layers to combine them. Basically, the left side of the building was direct sunlight (warmer & brighter), while the right side was open skylight (darker & cooler), so I wanted to see what if it could do something with it if I capture diff exposures to offset and/or exploit the diffs.

That and some basic mask painting to tweak it.

Here's another one, playing with the same tools, diff tune ... but, I kinda mucked it up with pp generated artifacts in a few places, so I'll need to go back to the (pp) drawing board on it.

Any guesses on what this is, and what the jaggy diagonal bands are?

Aug 15, 2017 at 02:50 AM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Light & Power ...

I know it's the arch but not a clue what the diagonal band is. Maybe moisture from condensation?

Aug 15, 2017 at 10:48 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Light & Power ...

Hint:

The Arch is three sided (this is the "inside" point). Think about light, shadow, reflections and the orientation of the sun.

Aug 15, 2017 at 11:52 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Light & Power ...

Three excellent images.
I prefer the second version of the first comp. Excellent POV, moody toning, interesting building. While the verticals look good, seems a bit convex. But it adds to the interest, coming at ya.
Third is also an excellent comp.
The technical stuff is beyond me.

Scott

Aug 15, 2017 at 12:22 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Light & Power ...

Holy crap! This is so cool! This last shot was already pretty nice but it just went up 10 fold for me personally!

I'm not sayin anything here to spoil it for others but trust me folks, ya'll will dig the hell out of this when you finally see it.

I've been studying this image over and over, off and on for the last 1/2 hour or so and FINALLY when I just opened it up to look again it suddenly was there! I was thinking something very similar but it wasn't making any sense due to your tones and it sent me in a completely different direction/mindset.

An absolute classic Kent shot here! Well played Mr! Made my head explode once I saw it.

This is a wall hanger Kent, a serious one.
After you fix those funky clouds and weird graininess thing that's going on there.

Aug 15, 2017 at 02:46 PM
Kevin T
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Light & Power ...

lighthound wrote:
Holy crap! This is so cool! This last shot was already pretty nice but it just went up 10 fold for me personally!

I'm not sayin anything here to spoil it for others but trust me folks, ya'll will dig the hell out of this when you finally see it.

I've been studying this image over and over, off and on for the last 1/2 hour or so and FINALLY when I just opened it up to look again it suddenly was there! I was thinking something very similar but it wasn't making any sense due to your tones and it
...Show more

Hey no fair! I was going to go with condensation as well!

Aug 15, 2017 at 04:18 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Light & Power ...

Kevin T wrote:
Hey no fair! I was going to go with condensation as well!

Keep coming back to it and you'll see it eventually. It'll make your head explode.
Well... maybe not everyone's but it did mine.

Edit: Another small hint along with Kent's.
I'm still trying to figure out how in the heck it's happening, to me that's what makes it so fascinating and a mind bender.

Edit again:
Dang it! I just looked again and now I'm starting to think I might be wrong as it could be something else that I see.
I know it's one or the other.

Love it!

Aug 15, 2017 at 05:38 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Light & Power ...

lighthound wrote:
I know it's one or the other.

Or could it be one of each.

Thanks Scott,

Yeah, I saw that the convex effect too, but I couldn't be sure if that is actual or perceptual based on the tonal values / lines, etc. Since I was using the 24L TS-E II ... lens distortion shouldn't be a factor. Unless I had some tilt on or something that I wasn't aware of. I don't think shift would cause that. Anyway, I didn't try to correct for it since I wasn't sure if it was just me (perceptual) or not.

Aug 16, 2017 at 12:39 AM
eeneryma
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Light & Power ...

When I look at your processing Kent, I'm always in awe. Much to learn.

Steve

Aug 16, 2017 at 02:05 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Light & Power ...

eeneryma wrote:
When I look at your processing Kent, I'm always in awe. Much to learn.

Steve

Thanks Steve.

"Much to learn" ... ain't that the truth ... BTW, it's all Karen's fault.
She turned me on to layers (and processing) several years ago, and it's been learning, learning, learning ever since.
Back in my chrome film days, folks tried to get me to think in terms of the darkrooom ... CMYK fried my brain to a nuclear crisp, and I never got beyond shooting chrome other than a B&W class. That was the one that pi$$ed me off about Ansel Adams when I learned of "He Cheats !!!" with all the darkroom manipulations. Suffice to say, I'm over that now. Oh, the folly of youth.

I just try to think part like a story teller (comp), part like a physicist (light/color), part like a painter (tonal draw) and part like a mathematician (PS). I think those added together = photographer.

Of course, depending on the multitude of genre in our beloved craft ... those might only add up to about 1/100th of what really goes into being a photographer.

Aug 16, 2017 at 02:56 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password