New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

COOLSCAN V ED

bs kite
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · COOLSCAN V ED

I have Kodachromes I need to scan with this scanner.

Can someone guide me to software that will drive this scanner in Mac 10.11.6 ?

Just downloaded VueScan and going to try that. It has been so long since I did this. I had Vuescan in an old PC.

update: vuescan does not "see" the Coolscan. I think the problem is that I need to install the disk that drives this scanner. But it has been years since I used the scanner in the old PC. I cannot find the disk now. Not even sure that would work since it was used in a PC. Faintly remember having to use "Virtual Computer" back then, I think because Windows had changed from 32 bit to 64 bit. But not sure...I am not a computer person.

Any other suggestions please?

Thanks

Aug 13, 2017 at 03:02 PM
bs kite
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · COOLSCAN V ED

It seems I have it going now. Disk not necessary.

Just got a Preview image now.

Trial period...as I recall with watermark on images until purchase.

later

Aug 13, 2017 at 03:55 PM
bs kite
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · COOLSCAN V ED

Update:

I recall now: This VueScan is NOT what I used to do the original scans years ago. Tried it just now and am not impressed so far.

Pushing me to purchase after rendering just a preview (and 40 KB at that!!!) is not my idea of warming up to the customer. I do not mind testing it at full MB size with WATERMARKS...but not this way.

If you are out there Mr Hammlick., please speak up and defend your product. Maybe i am setting it up incorrectly.

I now remember what I used back then:

The Coolscan V ED Nikon driver; i.e. the software for this machine. Nikon stopped updating scanner software. Now they do not even list the old software on their website.

Any suggestions please? I would love to have that Nikon software working in the mac.

Thank you.

Aug 13, 2017 at 04:20 PM
rdeloe
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · COOLSCAN V ED

I'm not defending the creator of VueScan or his marketing approach! But I do want to say that I used a full licensed copy to drive an Epson V700 (PC) and it was a solid and reliable tool.

EDIT: I just noticed another thread about scanning here on the forum, and someone mentioned that Vuescan supports Coolscan: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1502121

Aug 13, 2017 at 05:10 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · COOLSCAN V ED

Lightroom, nikons own software, photoshop these treat it like a scanner or camera

Aug 13, 2017 at 05:18 PM
Gregory Edge
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · COOLSCAN V ED

Why not try Silverfast?

http://www.silverfast.com/product/Nikon/LS-50ED-Coolscan-V-ED-447/en.html

Aug 13, 2017 at 05:26 PM
REMAC

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · COOLSCAN V ED

A software engineer has written and shared (online) a driver for the recent Windows Operating systems (7, 8.1, etc.) that allows me to use Nikon's software which I much prefer.

When I get a minute yet today, I will locate and forward the link to you in the hope that he has something for the Mac computers as well.

Aug 13, 2017 at 05:39 PM
bs kite
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · COOLSCAN V ED

REMAC wrote:
A software engineer has written and shared (online) a driver for the recent Windows Operating systems (7, 8.1, etc.) that allows me to use Nikon's software which I much prefer.

When I get a minute yet today, I will locate and forward the link to you in the hope that he has something for the Mac computers as well.

Thank you.

Aug 13, 2017 at 06:59 PM
REMAC

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · COOLSCAN V ED

Here you go:

https://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/44994-getting-your-nikon-coolscan-work-w7-x64.html

This has worked for me on three or more computers (PC's) to date and two Nikon Scanners (!V, V)

Good luck.

Willing to attempt to help if indicated as I would be "rusty" not having done this recently.

Aug 13, 2017 at 07:05 PM
REMAC

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · COOLSCAN V ED

I should have the requisite Nikon Software if no longer available on Nikon's website.

Aug 13, 2017 at 07:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bs kite
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · COOLSCAN V ED

We all are busy...having our own things to take care of.

So I want to take a moment to say thanks to you all for taking the time to respond.

I really would like to stick with this Coolscan and i prefer the Nikon software...though we all know what happened there. I have an enormous number of KR's/KM's. Hoping to cut down on the scan time and do post (PS CC) on the best ones. But have to get a process going first.

Maybe the engineer above will have a solution for my Mac.

I clicked onto the FM link that one of you was nice enough to provide and I PM'd the person who spoke highly of the Vuescan and how it interfaced with the Coolscan. Opened with telling him i hope I am not bothering him.

Thanks again....and I am going to continue to look for more feedback here.. So I will check back.

Robert

Aug 13, 2017 at 07:08 PM
bs kite
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · COOLSCAN V ED

REMAC wrote:
Here you go:

https://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/44994-getting-your-nikon-coolscan-work-w7-x64.html

This has worked for me on three or more computers (PC's) to date and two Nikon Scanners (!V, V)

Good luck.

Willing to attempt to help if indicated as I would be "rusty" not having done this recently.

Isn't this for Windows only? Hope I did not miss something. Sorry if I did.

Aug 13, 2017 at 07:20 PM
bs kite
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · COOLSCAN V ED

rdeloe wrote:
I'm not defending the creator of VueScan or his marketing approach! But I do want to say that I used a full licensed copy to drive an Epson V700 (PC) and it was a solid and reliable tool.

EDIT: I just noticed another thread about scanning here on the forum, and someone mentioned that Vuescan supports Coolscan: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1502121

Yup...thanks.

this is link from which I PM'd a person. Hope to hear a response. Thanks.

Aug 13, 2017 at 07:22 PM
REMAC

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · COOLSCAN V ED

I don't pretend to be Mac literate.

With Mac using Intel Processors and the ability to "Emulate" Windows on a Mac, I thought there must be a way.

Also, I don't know if Nikon's Scan4 was proprietary for PC's vs. Mac, I think not in which case not being a software engineer I didn't know how "specific' a driver was or had to be.

In the link I sent you, compatibility with Mac was suggested in the following:

"Scanners must have the latest Nikon firmware installed for these procedures to work. Currently the only OS capable of updating the scannerís firmware is Windows XP or Mac OS 10.2.x - 10.4.11. This means you cannot update the firmware without access to either of these OSís!"

Perhaps Vuescan or Silverlight will be your choice, they just weren't for me MUCH prefer the Nikon software and willing to do what it took to get the functionality.

Aug 13, 2017 at 08:02 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · COOLSCAN V ED

I'm using a Coolscan V with Vuescan, on Windows. It does OK, but I do find I have to play with the colors for awhile. B&W isn't nearly as much a problem.

Kent in SD

Mt. Rainier NP, Nikon F3T, 105mm AiS

Aug 13, 2017 at 08:20 PM
Ho1972
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · COOLSCAN V ED

FWIW, I gave up on VueScan long ago (of course I gave up scanning too), but I digress. Even when it worked well it was no match for Nikon's own rendering. Silverfast might be a viable option, but it is (or was) priced beyond my reach or, at least, beyond what I thought it was worth.*

*A quick search shows SF for the Coolscan V is selling for $299 (with Kodachrome features, whatever those are).

Aug 13, 2017 at 09:22 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · COOLSCAN V ED

One thing I forgot to mention is I think I remember that Digital Ice does not work on Kodachrome.

Kent in SD

Aug 13, 2017 at 10:42 PM
bs kite
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · COOLSCAN V ED

Thanks all

I now have Vuescan Pro and it seems ok so far.

Will get back here after some time with my opinion on how this all works out.

Aug 13, 2017 at 11:57 PM
geekcop
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · COOLSCAN V ED

I'm using ViewScan without any issues on my mac. I also bought a plugin called ColorPerfect which works well too. The video below explains its use.

Just another option.

I posted a recent b/w scans here at the bottom of the page using the software.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/658112/667#14135952

Aug 14, 2017 at 12:50 AM
melcat
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · COOLSCAN V ED

I responded in the other thead mentioned above with some tips on how to scan Kodachromes with VueScen and a Coolscan, in this post.

With regard to the Nikon software, the version I tried on Mac had a bad bug to do with colour management. If I had to guess, I'd have said it was applying the profile twice. The results were horribly magenta. Certainly I'd have been ashamed to ship software with such an obvious bug. More: it *would not have happened*.

Silverfast is apparently popular in its native Japan but has at least in the past suffered from a terrible translation of the UI and documentation into English that, for me, made it unusable.

Vuescan uses the QT library, and I would not describe its interface as good, but I got it to work. I can understand why Hamrick did this; he has enough on his plate keeping up with all the scanner hardware.

Here's an example of Kodachrome 64 scanned using the Coolscan and Vuescan:

Gatepost and fence, Queenscliff by Frank Ernens, on Flickr

Aug 14, 2017 at 03:05 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password