New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Looking to branch out into the M42

CheechzeppLn
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking to branch out into the M42

So I have been thinking a lot about branching out into the M42 lenses and was curious as to people's recommendations on good lenses to look out for. My current kit consists of an a900 and a700 and I think I will plug down on an a99 or a99ii for the next camera purchase. Let me know your thoughts and thank you for your time.

Charlie

Aug 13, 2017 at 08:18 AM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking to branch out into the M42

In the m42 screw mount, the Pentax Takumars are good choices. You can find lots of reviews of various options and versions on the Pentax forum. I found that on digital, the 50mm Takumars were very good, the 35mm Takumar was good, but the wider ones were not.

Fujinon m42 lenses also have a following.

Aug 13, 2017 at 08:41 AM
Matisha

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking to branch out into the M42

Some adapters have no step inside the m42 thread. These will work with lenses that are fully manual (usually have a preset ring adjacent to the aperture ring) or with lenses which have a switch that switches the lens from "auto" to "manual" if you can set the switch to manual. Many adapters have a ledge or flange inside the m42 thread, this depresses the pin that actuates the aperture on some lenses. If your lenses are auto, have the pin to close the aperture and do not have a switch, you will need one of these adapters. Some lenses (some Takumar, for example) have additional pins and other features on the rear surface of the mount, and if the internal flange is too wide, it may interfere with the operation of the lens or prevent it seating and achieving infinity focus. Hope I helped.

Aug 14, 2017 at 02:17 AM
OpticalFlow
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Looking to branch out into the M42

Some favourites in M42

Pentax SMC Takumar 50 1.4
Pentax Takumar 35 3.5 (tiny and sharp)

Carl Zeiss Jena Pancolar 50 1.8 (look for the Zebra version with 8 aperture blades)
Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 135 (both the f3.5 and older f4 versions are excellent)

With the CZJ lenses: they're optically excellent but be picky about getting a mechanically good version or plan to have a CLA done.

Aug 14, 2017 at 02:28 AM
CheechzeppLn
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Looking to branch out into the M42

Thanks for the suggestions, It seems the pentax is a fan favorite here. My kit is lacking the 35mm focal length so that seems like a great starting point. Still looking for a wide end solution if anyone has any ideas. Have a great day everyone.

Charlie

Aug 15, 2017 at 08:10 AM
Kingfishphoto
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Looking to branch out into the M42

I believe you will find adapters for 35mm lenses to A mount will have a glass element to reach inf. I have an FD to A and the glass element is a pain to work with. Mine is a photodiox brand.

Aug 15, 2017 at 08:25 AM
artur5
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Looking to branch out into the M42

Not the case with adapters for M42 lenses to Sony/Minolta AF mount. In fact, M42 lenses are the most friendly for adapting of all existing SLR mounts. Except for Nikon and Leica-R none of the adapters for M42 lenses to other 35mm cameras needs to have glass elements inside to reach infinity.

Aug 15, 2017 at 10:02 AM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Looking to branch out into the M42

It's a nice lens... but as someone who owned one of these and used it on Sony A7 and A7R cameras, I'll say that you might soon become disappointed with the results if you're all about sharpness. It's amazingly good for what it is... a film-era lens. But just realize that high MP digital sensors are asking for quality that these older lenses sometimes struggle to provide.

Wider is even more problematic. As I said earlier, the 28mm and 24mm Takumars did not please me. Mechanically I don't think I've ever had nicer lenses. They're an absolute joy to handle and use. But optically they didn't cut it. On my Fuji X-T2 (24MP sensor) I'm now using a lot of film-era Olympus OM lenses. I find they're actually better than the Takumars I used to use. The OM 24/2.8 is widely considered one of the best 24mm film-era lenses you can get. I also have used the OM 21/3.5. It's a fan favourite on the forum. I've actually owned three of these. I'm selling my third one (best of the bunch) on eBay. It's an excellent lens -- not quite as sharp as the 24/2.8 though. And more importantly, I needed it to be good as a shift lens, and the ultra-wide Zuikos (21mm and 18mm) don't do well as shift lenses.

Have fun. Buying and trying old lenses is lots of fun -- and also a good way to turn a lot of money into a little money!

CheechzeppLn wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions, It seems the pentax is a fan favorite here. My kit is lacking the 35mm focal length so that seems like a great starting point. Still looking for a wide end solution if anyone has any ideas. Have a great day everyone.

Charlie

Aug 15, 2017 at 10:31 AM
scrappydog
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Looking to branch out into the M42

I like both the Takumar 50/1.4 and Zeiss Jena 135/3.5. Caveat: my Tak had a yellow cast due to the radioactive element, so YMMV. A fun and inexpensive lens is the Helios 44. My copy of the latter is the Helios 44M-6, which is sharp but renders with dull colors and low contrast and has swirly bokeh. Its shots always look like they are hipster shots run through a Instagram filter. In other words, they are fun.

Aug 15, 2017 at 04:03 PM
Kingfishphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Looking to branch out into the M42

Artur5, thank you for the correction, i appreciate it.
Cheers
Harry Palmer

Aug 15, 2017 at 04:07 PM
EltonTeng
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Looking to branch out into the M42

There was a time when I used the Takumar 55/1.8 all the time when I shot Canon. I bought a nice and clean copy for $18 and another back up for $20. I also have a SMC 50/1.4 that rendered beautiful images.

That was probably 9-10 years ago so not sure what price these lenses go for these days. This thread makes me want to put one on my NEX 5R to try it out!

Aug 15, 2017 at 09:38 PM
CheechzeppLn
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Looking to branch out into the M42

Thanks for the recommendations and extra insight into the adapters. Have great day everyone.

Aug 18, 2017 at 11:32 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.