New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Portland Head Light

sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Portland Head Light

More of an exercise in opportunity and practice shooting, processing, since I wish there weren't people present.
On the other hand, I kind of like how the clouds play with the lighthouse.
IR
What think you?

Scott

GoetzPhotoz 2017

Aug 12, 2017 at 06:39 PM
beanpkk
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Portland Head Light

The people don't really bother me....and they do give a sense of scale. It would be interesting to see side by side an IR and a normal b/w of the same scene. I suppose you'd have to have two cameras?

keith

Aug 12, 2017 at 06:59 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Portland Head Light

I would need two cameras because my camera was converted, changing the filter in front of the sensor. But, it is possible to place an IR filter in front of a non-converted camera.
As it happens, I had by 5D Mk II with me, but focused on seeing what I can do with IR as much as possible.....Learning curve, experimentation, occasional infatuation.
In this case, I don't think the differences would be striking if processing for a similar look.

Scott

Aug 12, 2017 at 07:03 PM
Kevin T
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Portland Head Light

I like how the lighthouse is bellowing out the clouds. Seems like you could do a lot with this shot. The people could be blurred/cloned out so easy but then what next? The ball is in your court.

Good shot!

Aug 12, 2017 at 10:34 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Portland Head Light

Nice scenic view. My first thought was "What people?". That and I do not instantly see it as IR. To me the people are no distraction and add a sense of scale for the structures.

Looks like a productive vacation!.

Bob

Aug 13, 2017 at 06:45 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Portland Head Light

I agree, the people are a non issue and it's hard to see it's an IR. Looks like a standard B&W, and a good one at that.

Aug 13, 2017 at 09:01 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Portland Head Light

I might crop down a bit. That "second tier" of clouds seems discretionary. I think the "bellowing" clouds are sufficient without the additional expanse (i.e. re-balancing / re-weighting the mass).

Aug 13, 2017 at 12:19 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Portland Head Light

...with just a bit of tricky selective house only straightening:

Aug 13, 2017 at 06:33 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Portland Head Light

+1 @ the people do not detract at all. I might crop off the top down to just below the bright cloud on the right edge.

I am a bit confused by the IR choice as it doesn't look like an IR image to me.

Aug 14, 2017 at 12:09 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Portland Head Light

thanks to all of you
I agree, a bit off the top helps

Dave (and others) shot in IR because I am trying to use the IR camera most of the time to learn how it effects images; to practice processing and different styles. I did not think it would make a large difference in this shot, except perhaps with the vegetation and possibly deepening the sky.
As I indicated earlier in the thread, I think shooting my 5D and converting to BW would have yielded a similar look here, if so chosen.

Scott

Aug 14, 2017 at 03:36 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.