New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

I don't see this very often

leighton w
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I don't see this very often

A pro shooting with two Fujis around his neck. Of course, when I spied him, I immediately went up to him to start a conversation. He told me he wanted to try a Fuji and fell instantly in love with them, coming from Nikon. He had the X-T1 and X-T2, but wanted to get another X-T2 so he could shoot with all three. He hated changing lenses.

Fuji Pro by T. Leighton Womack, on Flickr

Aug 12, 2017 at 09:09 PM
gaopa
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I don't see this very often

That is a great shoot of a fellow Fuji shooter! Thanks for sharing. I suggest he also get an X-Pro2 to add to his Fuji arsenal.

Aug 13, 2017 at 01:45 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I don't see this very often

Always nice to strike up a conversation over a mutual interest, however, I will say that having been a working pro for 15 years myself, that sometimes when working its not really possible for me to have gear conversations.

Now don't get me wrong, I love talking cameras and photography, but, at the same time, when I'm out getting paid to do an assignment, I can't always engage with things like wedding guest who want to ask my opinion on a lens, or when I'm trying to cover a football game, and the its 3rd and goal, its not the time to ask me about which AF-C mode I use. Or, when I'm covering a news story, and trying to rush to get some caption info from an individual, etc etc.

I'm sure I've come off as rude and short with folks plenty of times when approached, simply because I was under deadline, or had the stress of managing the wedding party etc.

Again, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with being friendly, but, everyone should try to use a little discretion when approaching someone who's doing their job.

You don't walk back into the kitchen to ask the chef what spices he uses during dinner rush.

Also realize I'm not trying to single Leighton out, or even suggest he did any of this. For all I know the guy was just out testing a camera and not working.

So again, this isn't anything specific to this event, just a bit of a general FYI based on many of my experiences over the years.

Sometimes I've got some downtime, or its a boring blowout game etc. I've let peoples kids take my 400/2.8 and D4 and machine gun off a 100 frames, which they love. Or I've had guest take my camera and take a few fun silly pics of the photographer posed with a guest or two. I'm paid to be there providing a service, and the guest are just that, guest of the bride and groom, so I'm darn well going to try to best as kind as I can. Its just good business. BUT, it usually never fails to have that one uncle, after he's had a few, who wants to talk shop for a half hour when I've got a cake cutting and toast I need to be shooting

Aug 13, 2017 at 01:57 AM
lexvo
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I don't see this very often

A pro using Fuji. I think (hope) we will see this more and more in the future

Aug 13, 2017 at 09:41 AM
AZ Photo

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I don't see this very often

millsart wrote:
Always nice to strike up a conversation over a mutual interest, however, I will say that having been a working pro for 15 years myself, that sometimes when working its not really possible for me to have gear conversations.

Now don't get me wrong, I love talking cameras and photography, but, at the same time, when I'm out getting paid to do an assignment, I can't always engage with things like wedding guest who want to ask my opinion on a lens, or when I'm trying to cover a football game, and the its 3rd and goal, its not the time
...Show more

I've never been a professional photographer but having spent over 40 years in a customer facing technical role I always made a point of not coming of as "rude or short" - nobody wants to employ someone they don't like

Aug 13, 2017 at 03:56 PM
Steve Wan
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I don't see this very often

Wow that was quite a diatribe! Or did you just want to make sure we all knew you were a pro tog at some point?

millsart wrote:

Now don't get me wrong, I love talking cameras and photography, but, at the same time, when I'm out getting paid to do an assignment, I can't always engage with things like wedding guest who want to ask my opinion on a lens, or when I'm trying to cover a football game, and the its 3rd and goal, its not the time
...Show more

Aug 13, 2017 at 07:22 PM
gyoung143
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I don't see this very often

Well, it sounds like the pro was able to have an interesting conversation with Leighton on this occasion without distracting himself from the JOB in hand, to both their satisfaction.
However, as a now retired pro in photography of nearly 50 years, I can assure you I would prefer to concentrate on the angles and events I am being paid to record than chat about the kit, although happy to do that if I can fit it in.
I don't know what profession you are in, but if you want to talk to a surgeeon about his scalpels, or a bus driver about his bus you need to pick your moment!

Gerry

Steve Wan wrote:
Wow that was quite a diatribe! Or did you just want to make sure we all knew you were a pro tog at some point?

Aug 13, 2017 at 08:46 PM
Steve Wan
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · I don't see this very often

I agree! And I suspect that the members here would be sufficiently erudite to know that.

gyoung143 wrote:
Well, it sounds like the pro was able to have an interesting conversation with Leighton on this occasion without distracting himself from the JOB in hand, to both their satisfaction.
However, as a now retired pro in photography of nearly 50 years, I can assure you I would prefer to concentrate on the angles and events I am being paid to record than chat about the kit, although happy to do that if I can fit it in.
I don't know what profession you are in, but if you want to talk to a surgeeon about his scalpels, or a bus
...Show more

Aug 13, 2017 at 10:19 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · I don't see this very often

Steve Wan wrote:

Steve....... ah, what to say...what to say....

Yes, I really, really want you to be impressed by me and my past career choices, because I want our last moments before you go onto the ignore list to be special

Aug 14, 2017 at 12:37 AM
gyoung143
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · I don't see this very often

I would hope so too, and this forum is better than most for intelligent comment, but there are plenty out there who are so obsessed with the equipment that they can't see beyond it.
I dont see why it shouldn't have been said, and I don't think it warranted snide personal remarks, polite debate is all!

Gerry

Steve Wan wrote:
I agree! And I suspect that the members here would be sufficiently erudite to know that.

Aug 14, 2017 at 07:47 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Steve Wan
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · I don't see this very often

Sorry you saw it that way. What I saw was a happy little post about a chance encounter and a pleasant exchange between the two men. Then someone has to jump on it looking at it as an opportunity to give us and the OP schooling on common etiquette. If it was felt that the issue of talking to people at work needed to be discussed then a new thread would be the polite thing to do rather than sour the OP's post with that condescending polemic.

Of course, I could be wrong.....

gyoung143 wrote:
I would hope so too, and this forum is better than most for intelligent comment, but there are plenty out there who are so obsessed with the equipment that they can't see beyond it.
I dont see why it shouldn't have been said, and I don't think it warranted snide personal remarks, polite debate is all!

Gerry

Aug 14, 2017 at 03:39 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · I don't see this very often

I didn't mean for this post to go down this road. I simply saw a dude carrying two Fujis and couldn't resist the urge to talk to him. He loved the chance to talk all that is Fuji and the whole conversation lasted all but 5 minutes. Plus, I didn't know he was a pro until he told me.

Us Fuji users are in the minority, so how many of us would let this chance go by? I've been managing this Market (BTW, I get paid to shoot it) for 20 years and I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen Fuji cameras there.

Aug 14, 2017 at 04:21 PM
Reagan
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · I don't see this very often

^^^^^^^
What Ken and Samy
didn't bring Fuji's
How about Scott a couple years before
I guess I will have to visit

Reagan

Aug 14, 2017 at 07:58 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · I don't see this very often

In all reality the only significance of being a "pro" has is that it means the individual has the perspective of trying to earn a living through photography.

It does not mean the person is any more knowledgeable regarding photography or photographic technique, nor does it mean the individual produces subjectively "better" images.

"Pro" golfer for the most part can hit the ball a lot better than an amateur golfer, but in that case, there is a certain level of proficiency required to earn one's PGA tour card, and you just to be competing means your among the best of the best.

Doesn't take anything to be a "pro" photographer. Get a camera, hand out a business card. "Boom"!. your now a pro, congratulations.

I personally don't think its anything one should be respected for, or at least any more so than I would anyone else who owns their own business in a different field.

While I got paid to take pictures for a living, which was nice in some ways, I did not make a ton of money, I did not live in a great house, I did not drive a nice car.

In all my years on the dating scene women did not come flocking to me because I was a "pro" photographer. Heck, some broke off relationships because they wanted someone with a "career", ie; a 9-5, 401k and health insurance

I since went back to school, got my doctorate, and now work in health care. I drive a better car, live in a nicer place, actually have health insurance, a 401k, and believe it or not, can buy nicer equipment for my hobby, since I have a day job to pay for things.

The collective "we" on internet camera forums seem to think that if we see a "pro" using a given piece of gear that its an endorsement for the quality of the piece. Now in some cases that may be true. If someone is saying shooting 40 weddings a year, they likely have some idea if a certain piece of gear works for those needs, which we can guess are somewhat typical.

However, it may also mean that said individual simply can't afford to switch to a different system. I remember when I was working with Nikon D3's when all the booster parents on the sidelines at football games had shiny new D4's and the ver II lenses. I couldn't afford to drop $20k on all new gear just to have the latest and greatest even if I wanted to.

In reality, perhaps we shouldn't care so much if a "pro" uses our given camera gear of choice, and instead, maybe we should care if a lawyer or dentist is using it ? Because think about, if we've got a guy who is pulling in well over 7 figures a year, and as a result who can afford ANY camera gear he or she desires, still chooses to use something then maybe that means its really good ?

Aug 14, 2017 at 09:55 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · I don't see this very often

The more interesting point for me in leighton's original post was the two camera bodies aspect. I was a commercial photographer for many years, and always shot with two bodies. In the age of film, of course, using two bodies side be side rather than changing lenses was all about making sure nothing was missed due to film changes. In the digital age, especially when I was shooting for John Deere, it was explicitly to avoid lens changes (usually I was shooting in very dusty environments, or balancing on slippery, just-barked logs, close to harvesting machinery, making all kinds of mess).

Now, having retired from that work, I have moved all my current work to 4/3rds, for the video aspect. Were I to shoot an event, though, two bodies is still the way to go, I believe, and two identical bodies best. Lens selection depends on what you are shooting, of course, but I have most often used a 35/85 combination, in FF days.

And I understand millsart's substantive point well: when you are working, you just do not have time to chat, about gear or anything else. The best I could come up with was something like, "I'd love to chat and if you are still around when I'm done, I'd love to. But right now..."

Aug 18, 2017 at 09:17 AM
gaopa
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · I don't see this very often

"And I understand millsart's substantive point well: when you are working, you just do not have time to chat, about gear or anything else. The best I could come up with was something like, "I'd love to chat and if you are still around when I'm done, I'd love to. But right now..."

That is a very polite way to handle the situation, Kit! Well done.

Aug 18, 2017 at 10:41 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · I don't see this very often

When doing serious photography (or serious anything else) there are times when one can't afford to stop and banter about whatever... and times when one can.

It happens to me a fair amount, particularly when I'm set up to do my landscape work in places where other visitors are comment. Most of the time it is pretty innocent, and it is pretty easy to signal that "now is not the time" without being offensive.

At one end of the spectrum, I recall the "enthusiast" who thought that engaging in a discussion with him about my lens choice (he eventually informed me I was using the wrong lens!) was more important than the photograph I was making. I resisted the temptation to tell him where to stick it, but just barely.

At the other end of the spectrum are folks who say things like "get any good ones?," or "big lens!," or those who stand right behind my camera position to make their photograph. No big deal, and I can reply with something friendly and innocuous.

Sometimes while I'm waiting for light I'll even offer to use their smartphones to take a photo of their group with everyone in the picture. :-)

Aug 18, 2017 at 03:38 PM
Bubble
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · I don't see this very often

leighton w wrote:
He had the X-T1 and X-T2, but wanted to get another X-T2 so he could shoot with all three. He hated changing lenses.

self proclaim "Pro"

seriously? carry 3 cameras so he doesn't have to change lenses? BS...

Aug 19, 2017 at 08:14 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · I don't see this very often

I like to start the day with a whole sack of cameras, multiple copies of each lens/focal length combination. That way I don't even have to bother changing batteries, just grab a new one

In all seriousness, there is something to be said for multiple cameras to avoid changing lenses. When I was covering football games (American football that is, and yes, be impressed by my clear bragging of a past career lol) it was so much easier, and practical to have something like a long telephoto mounted to one camera body, and then a second body with a wider zoom, like a 70-200. Depending on the game, I would sometimes bring a third body with a wider angle as well.

Reason being, on something like a play where maybe the team is at the 50 yard line, and your 600mm is a great focal, but the running back finds a huge hole and is going to have a 50 yard carry for a TD, you simply will not have time to take your 600mm off, put the other lens on, and still get shots of the touchdown.

Likewise, if he and his team mates are all celebrating in the corner of the end zone right in front of you, your not going to get that 70-200 off and a wider angle mounted, having the 3rd body comes in handy. Only for a few possible shots, but that shot might be a big seller, so its nice to have it.

Its also nice to have an assistant like some of the SI guys used to who's job is just to sit behind the photog and hand them the other lens. I've certainly smacked myself or guys next to me when I tried to set down my telephoto, with a monopod on it, and grab a different body, especially in tight quarters.

I would do the same thing at weddings too, especially if I was working on the only shooter. For the exchanging of vows, I want to be able to get some full length and wider shots, but also have the ability to get some tight framing such as of the couple holding hands, placing the rings upon each others fingers etc. Its a great tight shot, and very popular in most albums I've done, but you also have to realize that seconds after that moment there is the kiss you really want to get as well, and usually a fuller body framing is my preference. Its NOT the time to try to be fumbling changing lens and miss the moment. In later weddings I used to hire a 2nd shooter, who's job would be to get just tight detail stuff, usually long lens from back of the room, so I didn't have to focus on as much, and also not be snapping away as much.

Needless to say, there is very much something to be said for multiple bodies, and ideally, those bodies all being the same model. Just want to be able to grab from one to the other and have the exact same setup.

I think there are certainly instances where one body makes sense, and maybe people just carry a 2nd one around to look cooler, but there are also times where it is hardly "BS"

Aug 19, 2017 at 09:54 PM
Bubble
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · I don't see this very often

Wedding, sport, multiple camera, YES. Been there, done that.

But street photography, sureeeee...

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:01 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password